Greatest Movies of All Time

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Morley
God
Location: Gotta love this 1794 woodcut portrait by Toshusai Sharaku.

Re: Greatest Movies of All Time

Post by Morley »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:46 pm
Right, and Mormonism's cosmic survival narrative is about humans procreating and expanding into eternity. Sex is a sacrament connected with a temple ritual for both, even if doctrinal details differ. And while it's not as explicit in Mormonism, the fact that Mormon apostles have sent out letters to bishops instructing them on how to regulate the sex lives of their parishioners definitely show how the sex act is also community property in Mormonism. And there's the doctrinal emphasis on unrestricted child bearing. A GA who came through our mission who was a doctor gave us this life advice: "You go home and get married, you don't wait to have children, and you have children until your wife can't have them anymore."

There are two main points here. 1) community identity rooted in reproductive rites that are enshrined in ancient lore and temples 2) Totalizing the sex act as community property

Mormonism and Hagra have (1) in common, even though the doctrinal details may vary substantially. No other Christian church or major American religion connects in this way to my knowledge. (2) You make a great point and Mormonism may miss the ideal here, but the impulse of "sex is for procreation" is already loud and clear, and if the Law of Consecration were to usher in, that gap would close.
Brilliant. Thank you.
High Spy
1st Quorum of 70

Post by High Spy »

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088846/ wrote: December 18, 1985 - The movie is not about this man but about a meek government worker, Sam Lowry (Jonathan Pryce), who's observing from the sidelines. Robert De Niro has a cameo as the wanted "terrorist" whose crime, from what we see, consists of doing home repairs without the proper paperwork. I have noticed that most of the classic dystopian tales are fundamentally similar to one another. But "Brazil" approaches the genre in a uniquely psychological way.
Maybe during my call with Ms. Lowry later this morning I may make reference.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Film/Brazil
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

High Spy wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:11 am
Ms. Lowry is a fictional character, so no, you won’t be having a call with her, either this morning or at any other time.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:20 pm
High Spy wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:11 am
Ms. Lowry is a fictional character, so no, you won’t be having a call with her, either this morning or at any other time.
What if he rolls snake eyes and that number combination allows him to pierce the 4th wall? It would translate him to the Interpreter dimension where anything is theoretically possible. Just a thought... look, there were no early morning additives to my orange juice, honest.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Black Moclips
Nursery

Post by Black Moclips »

Movies that as I flip through the channels, I will most likely finish regardless of where I came in:

Dances with Wolves
Kill Bill (either volume)
Pulp Fiction
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Planet of the Apes (original)
Ben Hur (original)
The Matrix
Legends of the Fall
Glory
anything Star Wars
Top Gun and TP Maverick
Equalizer 1 & 2 with Denzel
Lord of the Rings
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Black Moclips wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:55 pm
Top Gun and TP Maverick
What is "Toilet Paper Maverick?"
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
High Spy
1st Quorum of 70

Movies Time

Post by High Spy »

Moksha wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:28 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:20 pm

What if he rolls snake eyes and that number combination allows him to pierce the 4th wall? It would translate him to the Interpreter dimension where anything is theoretically possible. Just a thought... look, there were no early morning additives to my orange juice, honest.
Timothy Leary mixed-up a tremendous batch of LDS Kool, laid back looking up at the Kolob type clouds, his happy remark went domething like this “What a Wonder y’all is Today.”

Or “What a Wonder y’all is Today”.

For fellow discussers across the pond.
Black Moclips
Nursery

Post by Black Moclips »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:11 am
Black Moclips wrote:
Top Gun and TP Maverick
Lol, nice catch. I meant "T.G."
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:11 am
Black Moclips wrote:
Top Gun and TP Maverick
It's where your finger goes through the TP defenses, and infiltrates the brown base.
cinepro
CTR B

Post by cinepro »

Coming in late, I'll skip the ones commonly mentioned and add some of my favorites that don't usually make these lists:

The Castle (1997) - Quirky Australian comedy. I actually like the American release from Miramax a little better.

Goodbye Lenin (2003) -Excellent comedy about the fall of the Berlin wall - the staunch Communist mother of a family is in a coma when the wall falls, and they have to continue to pretend they're in communism when she comes to and is bedridden.

The Lives of Others (2006) - Excellent drama about life under the East German Stassi in the 1980s.

Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) - Epic Western.

Their Finest (2016) - A former secretary, newly appointed as a scriptwriter for propaganda films, joins the cast and crew of a major production while the Blitz rages around them (good to watch with "Dunkirk").

That Thing You Do (1996) - I absolutely love this movie. Tom Hanks' movie about a fictitious 1960s band and their journey from Erie, PA to one-hit-wonder stardom.

Brian and Charles (2022) - Sadly underappreciated quirky British comedy about an inventor in a small village who builds a robot companion.