Interview with Schmo

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Interview with Schmo

Post by Jersey Girl »

Hey Schmo,

I'm starting a new thread so as not to derail your lying thread about lies and the lying liars who tell them. :) I have some questions for you if you don't mind answering.

1. How long were you involved with the LDS church as an active member?

2. Was the LDS church your first experience with a religion?

3. Did you ever involve yourself in a different church and if so, how long did you attend?

4. Were you baptized in the LDS church or any other church?

5. What was/is your favorite church song or hymn?

6. What was your favorite thing about church attendance?

7. What was your least favorite thing about church attendance?

8. What was your favorite teaching in church?

9. What was your least favorite teaching in church?

10. What do you like on your pizza?

Thanks if you are willing,

Jersey the Liar
;)
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Interview with Schmo

Post by Jersey Girl »

FYI: This was a serious thread posted with the intention of learning more about a poster's religious experiences. Please stay on topic.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:03 pm
Hey Schmo,

I'm starting a new thread so as not to derail your lying thread about lies and the lying liars who tell them. :) I have some questions for you if you don't mind answering.
Sure.
1. How long were you involved with the LDS church as an active member?
I was born into it and was active till I left home at 17.

Of course, there's a difference between being active and believing it.
2. Was the LDS church your first experience with a religion?
Unless there's something to the idea of past lives, yes.
3. Did you ever involve yourself in a different church and if so, how long did you attend?
I went to various churches with my friends on occasion. Catholic more than any others, although I've been to Baptist and 7th Day Adventist meetings. I've never seriously tried to join another church, if that's what you're asking. I didn't leave Mormonism because I was looking for something else. I left because I didn't like religion.
4. Were you baptized in the LDS church or any other church?
In the LDS church when I turned 8.
5. What was/is your favorite church song or hymn?
The music was part of the experience I didn't care for. Perhaps there were a few Christmas hymns I didn't mind due to their association with the season.
6. What was your favorite thing about church attendance?
When it was over.

Lisa Simpson had a line I could always relate to (I can only paraphrase): I love getting home from church. It's the longest time right now before we have to go back.
7. What was your least favorite thing about church attendance?
The culture.
8. What was your favorite teaching in church?
I'm sitting here trying to answer your questions as honestly as possible, and this one has stumped me. I can't think of anything I uniquely learned from the Mormon church that I still find valuable.

What I will say is that the church was a good training ground for my career in terms of public speaking experience.
9. What was your least favorite teaching in church?
There are too many to list, but I remember the one I found the most offensive as a teenager, the easiest to disbelieve, and the thing that made it easy to leave: the idea of a Judgment Day.
10. What do you like on your pizza?
It's true; I love a good Hawaiian.

There's a local pizza joint that makes a special pie called The Stallion. I have no idea what they put on it (some kind of sausage and garlic sauce), but it's divine.
Thanks if you are willing,
Sure. It was fun.
Jersey the Liar
;)
I don't think you're a liar, Jersey Girl.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

I enjoyed reading the answers.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
yellowstone123
1st Counselor

Post by yellowstone123 »

Great questions and great answers. Thank you.
“one of the important things for anybody in power is to distinguish between what you have the right to do and what is right to do." Potter Stewart, associate justice of the Supreme Court - 1958 to 1981.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:14 am
FYI: This was a serious thread posted with the intention of learning more about a poster's religious experiences. Please stay on topic.
I just have to say, Jersey Girl, that I think your response here to my thread is first class and full of grace.

As Ted Lasso likes to say, "Be curious, not judgmental."
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Some Schmo wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:54 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:14 am
I just have to say, Jersey Girl, that I think your response here to my thread is first class and full of grace.

As Ted Lasso likes to say, "Be curious, not judgmental."
You have no idea how hard I am working at it right now! I'll get back to your answers. I'm doing easy and quick stuff first.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Moksha wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:32 am
I enjoyed reading the answers.
I'm glad you liked it. I could've drawn it out further but decided to cut to the chase of what I really wanted to know most.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

yellowstone123 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:10 am
Great questions and great answers. Thank you.
In the old, old, days of the board I used to put up interviews with like 25 questions in Terrestrial. I feel like it was a fun thing to do, for me at least. I am probably more interested in people's stories than most. Learning more about people gives me insight into their thinking and motivations, leads to understanding, and often helps me in my own moments of self reflection which are oh who knows, probably a hundred times a day. I am not exaggerating here. I'm like in a constant state of self examination. Again. Not exaggerating.

Slava Ukraini!
yellowstone123
1st Counselor

Post by yellowstone123 »

That’s great. Thank you, Jersey Girl.
“one of the important things for anybody in power is to distinguish between what you have the right to do and what is right to do." Potter Stewart, associate justice of the Supreme Court - 1958 to 1981.