If you could extinguish all religions

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: If you could extinguish all religions

Post by Jersey Girl »

Me again. :roll:

I know I've dropped the ball on this thread and admittedly have lost the moment. I do plan to return here and reply to those who have kindly posted here. I didn't mean to blow you guys off. in real life took off and I've been super busy.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

drumdude wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:58 pm
Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions.

You would have to wipe out humanity to wipe out religion.
Yeah, I guess I'm pretty much in this boat. The only way to get rid of religion is to get rid of people in our current state of evolution.

I suspect we could evolve out of it, but it would require some significant, large-scale brain rewiring (in other words, survival fitness favoring the areligious - except that nature doesn't punish the religious; they are the ones doing most of the reproducing, and because we're a cooperating society, the unfit can survive long enough to have babies and keep perpetrating the same old, outdated ideas).

So yeah, religion will kill humans long before we can evolve away from it. The idea that a god will protect us from the environment we're damned up (and that we don't need to do anything about it) has started us down that very path.

To be honest, I'm not even sure we could evolve out of it. We evolved to survive, not to find truth. False positives are a survival mechanism, not a reality detector.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:55 pm
Me again. :roll:

I know I've dropped the ball on this thread and admittedly have lost the moment. I do plan to return here and reply to those who have kindly posted here. I didn't mean to blow you guys off. in real life took off and I've been super busy.
I forgot to chime in. I have no idea. I suspect that the process would be gradual enough that there is no difference between the last day with and the first day without.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Some Schmo wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:38 pm
drumdude wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:58 pm
Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions.

You would have to wipe out humanity to wipe out religion.
Yeah, I guess I'm pretty much in this boat. The only way to get rid of religion is to get rid of people in our current state of evolution.

I suspect we could evolve out of it, but it would require some significant, large-scale brain rewiring (in other words, survival fitness favoring the areligious - except that nature doesn't punish the religious; they are the ones doing most of the reproducing, and because we're a cooperating society, the unfit can survive long enough to have babies and keep perpetrating the same old, outdated ideas).

So yeah, religion will kill humans long before we can evolve away from it. The idea that a god will protect us from the environment we're damned up (and that we don't need to do anything about it) has started us down that very path.

To be honest, I'm not even sure we could evolve out of it. We evolved to survive, not to find truth. False positives are a survival mechanism, not a reality detector.
Well said. That last paragraph hits hard!
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Wiping out religion in China and Russia hasn't seemed to have done much to stop climate change either. Perhaps Castro, Stalin, Mao Zadong and Bernie Sanders ways don't work as well as you guys seem to believe.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

ajax18 wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:52 pm
Wiping out religion in China and Russia hasn't seemed to have done much to stop climate change either. Perhaps Castro, Stalin, Mao Zadong and Bernie Sanders ways don't work as well as you guys seem to believe.
Cuba is 75th in the world ref CO2/1000 persons. Sooooo…

Not that facts matter to you. You’re just an angry Boomer wagging his finger, and will do so, until you’re dead. *shrugs*

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:03 am
ajax18 wrote:

Not that facts matter to you. You’re just an angry Boomer wagging his finger, and will do so, until you’re dead. *shrugs*

- Doc
If you feel that strongly about it why not go to Cuba and live like the Cubans do? Better yet if every single American would do that, how much will that reduce the earth's temperature. Do you think China or Russia are going to buy into your climate change concerns and destroy their own economy to save the planet. They seem more concerned with conquest and power. And when asked about this decades ago Bernie shouts, "The greatest national security threat is clinate change!" What are the CO2 emissions from rockets, missiles, destroyed buildings, due to an eternal stalemate war that your administration has neglected to negotiate a peace resolution for years now against the interests of the American taxpayer. And ultimately for what?

Democrats have always championed peace by appeasement that doesn't work and obstructed Republican efforts to acheive peace through military strength that Reagen and Trump proved to work.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

ajax18 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:54 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:03 am

- Doc
If you feel that strongly about it why not go to Cuba and live like the Cubans do? Better yet if every single American would do that, how much will that reduce the earth's temperature. Do you think China or Russia are going to buy into your climate change concerns and destroy their own economy to save the planet. They seem more concerned with conquest and power. And when asked about this decades ago Bernie shouts, "The greatest national security threat is clinate change!" What are the CO2 emissions from rockets, missiles, destroyed buildings, due to an eternal stalemate war that your administration has neglected to negotiate a peace resolution for years now against the interests of the American taxpayer. And ultimately for what?

Democrats have always championed peace by appeasement that doesn't work and obstructed Republican efforts to acheive peace through military strength that Reagen and Trump proved to work.
How strongly do I feel about it?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

At what point did this thread become about Cuba, Bernie or anything else that is being discussed?

Oh let me guess... :roll:
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

ajax18 wrote:
If you can't post on topic get off the thread, buddy. I've never seen anyone so eat up with party politics as you.

I suppose you'll consider that a compliment. Derail something else. Start your own thread.

Slava Ukraini!