where is there freedom

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
huckelberry
God

where is there freedom

Post by huckelberry »

I am curious about any thoughts about the value of freedom but was struck by Ajax longing for something lost. I am wondering what that freedom was which was lost and what it would be like to have it restored.
ajax18 wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:03 am
I could see Trump passing the torch to Vivek. But given the deep state can financially ruin anyone that opposes them politically, it's foolish to think elections aren't rigged. Democracy will never restore freedom.
Dr Exiled
God

Re: where is there freedom

Post by Dr Exiled »

I don't know what Ajax was thinking, however, I can see a the path toward totalitarianism and a loss of freedom ultimately. It starts by censoring the latest devil, for the good of society, allegedly. Then it comes with persecuting the "devil" in the name of "freedom." Forget the constitution, freedom of speech, assembly, protest, we have a devil that has to be stopped at all costs, supposedly. We need censorship and corporate control, in the name of freedom. There is a supposed danger in speech that doesn't agree with .... "decency." At least that is what our corporate masters tell us and who are we to disagree? Stand on one foot, fools! Obey your masters! They are really rich and so must be obeyed. All of which is clearly projection because the so-called "devil," however imperfect and distasteful this person is, is an affront to those in power. He wants to fire them and so he must be stopped. Make up anything. Quick, he is criminally disagreeing with us. Charge him! Charge him again! He is about to uncover what we are doing and wants to take it for himself (probably true). He is stomping on the flag and doesn't want war! And the indictments are fueling his people.

I wonder if the elections will be suspended just like they are now, in that bastion of freedom, Ukraine?

We have to destroy democracy to save it???

It seems clear that the devil cannot be trusted. But who can? The alzheimer's patient? Hell no!

What is to be done? Perhaps there is an incredible evil in both sides that needs to be stopped? Like the Romans and English, the powers that be are pitting one side against the other so we don't see what is really going on.

Since when have the democrats cared about anyone but Wall Street? Not since Clinton and his third way. Obama promised hope and change, only to give us more Wall Street bailouts. We already know the Republicans like Romney, the weasel senator from S. Carolina and McConnell don't give a rat's ass about the people. Time for something other than the uniparty.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

"Corporate control in the name of freedom"
Dr Exiled. I have difficulty locating the center of your rant. It sounds like a science fiction book but I suspect you intend to allude to some events now. I do not know which however.

The uncertainty allows me to read it as a call for communist uprising to overthrow the corrupt corporate system.
But you may well have something else in mind.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

huckelberry wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:42 pm
Dr Exiled. I have difficulty locating the center of your rant. It sounds like a science fiction book but I suspect you intend to allude to some events now. I do not know which however.

The uncertainty allows me to read it as a call for communist uprising to overthrow the corrupt corporate system.
No communist uprising ... just a call to dial back the power corporations have over politics and the economy. Over the last 50 years, business has concentrated into the hands of fewer and fewer to the detriment of everyone else. Politics naturally follows.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

huckelberry wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:19 pm
I am curious about any thoughts about the value of freedom but was struck by Ajax longing for something lost. I am wondering what that freedom was which was lost and what it would be like to have it restored.
ajax18 wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:03 am
I could see Trump passing the torch to Vivek. But given the deep state can financially ruin anyone that opposes them politically, it's foolish to think elections aren't rigged. Democracy will never restore freedom.
Much of it has to do with states rights and the usurpation of local goverance by the federal government. I don't want California telling people in Florida we have to lock down or we have to be masked up. I don't want inner city governments dictating gun control to rural cultures. Our current laws work fine.

If 2/3 of people decide to have children and shirk their responsibilities on them, in a world with freedom restored the taxpayer would not be on the hook to provide for however many children these people choose to put upon us.

If a president leaves the border open to import endless poverty into the country, in a free the taxpayer would not be on the hook for that.

If we have evidence that Covid came from a Chinese lab leak we should be able to post that without getting banned or the FBI forcing social media to ban it.

If the voters want to choose Donald Trump to be president, the administrative state can't disenfranchise them by weaponizing the DOJ with a two tiered system of justice.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

ajax18 wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:57 am
If 2/3 of people decide to have children and shirk their responsibilities on them, in a world with freedom restored the taxpayer would not be on the hook to provide for however many children these people choose to put upon us.
So ... You'd be happy living in a world with a lot of adult people in it who were starved, neglected and denied education as children, and who not unnaturally felt like taking it out on the comfortable citizens who decided that was OK, because it was all their parents' responsibility.

Right. Good luck with that.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

ajax18 wrote:
Teach them that true freedom is a dog-eat-dog existence.
If the voters want to choose Donald Trump to be president, the administrative state can't disenfranchise them by weaponizing the DOJ with a two tiered system of justice.
Let his Reign begin at Alcatraz and end in the Pyramid of Trump at Mar-a-Lago.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Chap wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:18 am
ajax18 wrote:
So ... You'd be happy living in a world with a lot of adult people in it who were starved, neglected and denied education as children, and who not unnaturally felt like taking it out on the comfortable citizens who decided that was OK, because it was all their parents' responsibility.

By that logic the left would be scared of disenfrachising Trump supporters. Good luck with that. Those unwilling to defend their property don't get to keep it very long in this world. They don't remain free very long either.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

ajax18 wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:54 pm
Chap wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:18 am

By that logic the left would be scared of disenfrachising Trump supporters. Good luck with that. Those unwilling to defend their property don't get to keep it very long in this world. They don't remain free very long either.
Ajax, are you cool with your neighbor pumping sulfur out of the ground on his property? And your other neighbor fracking oil out of his, even though it might leach into your water supply? And the neighbor across the way using his yard as a garbage dump, even though rodents are multiplying at an outrageous rate?
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:59 am
huckelberry wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:42 pm

No communist uprising ... just a call to dial back the power corporations have over politics and the economy. Over the last 50 years, business has concentrated into the hands of fewer and fewer to the detriment of everyone else. Politics naturally follows.
Ok I can see your point. I think there is a lot of weight keeping those arrangements in place. They are close to being foundational but that does not mean it should not be sought to limit those power centers.