Safe from Idalia (So Far)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Safe from Idalia (So Far)

Post by Kishkumen »

I hope all Floridians stay safe. We had some strong gusts of wind and patches of heavy rain here. Power flickered but has not gone out. We have lost internet, but otherwise we are as yet unscathed (knock on wood).
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Safe from Idalia (So Far)

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Voof. Hurricanes are a scary phenomenon. I hope you feel safe. I recently had a job offer (this is twice now) for the Tampa area, but I declined because, well, yadda yadda *all the reasons that people don't move to Florida*.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

glad to hear you are safe, Reverend.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

I just came here to check on you Kish! Good to hear you and yours are holding your own there! No word from my people in Fort Meyers or St. Pete. Not answering me. Stay home and stay safe!
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

In case this helps, I just happened to get this forwarded to me in a text by my brother.
This guy my brother knows wrote:I keep pre-cooked bacon in my fridge that I call "Hurricane Bacon". When the hurricane hits, I put that bacon in my pocket, so if I get buried in a pile of rubble, the search dogs will find me first.
ETA: I post this hoping to pass along grin-and-bear-it black humour that people in Florida apparently may have to use. I really hope nobody actually gets buried in any rubble, or anything even worse. I've never been in a hurricane. Film clips of them look scary, and this is the kind of huge thing that film clips don't adequately capture.
Last edited by Physics Guy on Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Physics Guy wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:23 pm
In case this helps, I just happened to get this forwarded to me in a text by my brother.
This guy my brother knows wrote:I keep pre-cooked bacon in my fridge that I call "Hurricane Bacon". When the hurricane hits, I put that bacon in my pocket, so if I get buried in a pile of rubble, the search dogs will find me first.
:lol:
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:40 pm
Voof. Hurricanes are a scary phenomenon. I hope you feel safe. I recently had a job offer (this is twice now) for the Tampa area, but I declined because, well, yadda yadda *all the reasons that people don't move to Florida*.

- Doc
I think we may be done with Florida. We’re currently trying to get out. So, I totally understand.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Gadianton wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:52 pm
glad to hear you are safe, Reverend.
Thanks, Dean! We made it unscathed. The screen on my son’s window popped out and I had to put it back in. Can’t believe that was it.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:11 pm
I just came here to check on you Kish! Good to hear you and yours are holding your own there! No word from my people in Fort Meyers or St. Pete. Not answering me. Stay home and stay safe!
I hope your people are OK, Jersey! We made it through just fine.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Physics Guy wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:23 pm
ETA: I post this hoping to pass along grin-and-bear-it black humour that people in Florida apparently may have to use. I really hope nobody actually gets buried in any rubble, or anything even worse. I've never been in a hurricane. Film clips of them look scary, and this is the kind of huge thing that film clips don't adequately capture.
You made me laugh. And that’s actually a great idea.