Trump, Biden, RFKjr, and Beyond

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Dr Exiled
God

Re: Trump, Biden, RFKjr, and Beyond

Post by Dr Exiled »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:28 pm
The purpose of primaries is for the party to bring forward from its ranks the candidate that will have the best chance of winning the election. As the very successful and well proven incumbent, President Biden is that person for the Dems. I really have no problem with the party with a successful incumbent choosing to stick with that candidate and forego the primary process.
Seems odd for a party to do this in the name of saving democracy, supposedly. Clinton lost because of this thinking. She was a horrible candidate that couldn't win in the states that mattered. Maybe had the rigging against Sanders .... anyway, you get the picture. Sanders was getting huge crowds to the dismay of the oligarchs and was too populist, at least he was back then, supposedly, at least he was talking the talk.

Trump was getting the crowds and the rigging plus the FBI doing an about face on her classified docs/email case right before the election, probably is what brought us Trump. They really made a mistake there and perhaps atoned by getting the intelligence community to lie about the lap-top. Are they making the same mistake by propping up a man that is clearly not all there and not running the country? There may be an anti-establishment vote brewing out there, especially with the bogus lawsuits that have only driven up Trump's numbers.

Maybe democracy should be destroyed to save it from the people? Is this the next move for the establishment party?
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:52 pm
Seems odd for a party to do this in the name of saving democracy, supposedly. Clinton lost because of this thinking. She was a horrible candidate that couldn't win in the states that mattered. Maybe had the rigging against Sanders .... anyway, you get the picture. Sanders was getting huge crowds to the dismay of the oligarchs and was too populist, at least he was back then, supposedly, at least he was talking the talk.

Trump was getting the crowds and the rigging plus the FBI doing an about face on her classified docs/email case right before the election, probably is what brought us Trump. They really made a mistake there and perhaps atoned by getting the intelligence community to lie about the lap-top. Are they making the same mistake by propping up a man that is clearly not all there and not running the country? There may be an anti-establishment vote brewing out there, especially with the bogus lawsuits that have only driven up Trump's numbers.

Maybe democracy should be destroyed to save it from the people? Is this the next move for the establishment party?
I sure hope not. I don’t agree with your assessment of Biden or the Hunter Biden situation. Biden is fine and really the best hope for beating Trump again, if Trump is the nominee. He probably will be.

As for the party mess, it is what it is. The DNC is not very democratic internally. Hillary was a bad candidate, and the DNC made a big mistake in running her against Trump. She fumbled the ball, partly out of arrogance. Biden was an attempt to correct for their error without having to go with a Bernie type.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
bill4long
2nd Counselor

Post by bill4long »

Gadianton wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:38 am
Tell me Bill, when Trump takes back the helm and deports illegals working agriculture and meat processing jobs by the millions, thereby making Ajax happy, will that lower the price of groceries for American families?
Why are you asking me? I'm not a Trumpist. As I've clearly stated many times.

Now my turn:

Who do you want as the next Pres?
The views and opinions expressed by Bill4Long could be wrong and are subject to change at any time. Viewer discretion is advised.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

bill4long wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:00 am
I want Pete Buttigieg because he is smart (smarter than any other candidates), healthy, and most importantly honest.

Did I mention he is honest? Honesty is so incredibly anti-Trumpian that it should be doubly emphasized.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Moksha wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:22 am
bill4long wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:00 am
I want Pete Buttigieg because he is smart (smarter than any other candidates), healthy, and most importantly honest.

Did I mention he is honest? Honesty is so incredibly anti-Trumpian that it should be doubly emphasized.
Ditto. He was my first choice followed by Sanders. I briefly thought Bloomberg would make for a nice candidate, but I'm not so fired up about the concept of billionaires as a class and got off that notion.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Why are you asking me? I'm not a Trumpist. As I've clearly stated many times.
I'm not sure I believe it. You may be a Trumpist by default. If Biden is as reprehensible as you've indicated, but you're neutral on Trump, then you are most likely a Trumpist.
Do you mean the next president after Biden or who do I want to win 2024?
Last edited by Gadianton on Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Binger,

perhaps you haven't noticed but many right-wingers now say they don't like Trump. This is especially true of the ultra-far right, who have bashed Trump for many years now. My right-wing friend as of many months ago was saying he wanted somebody other than Trump and doesn't like Trump anymore, and etc. And crazy as it sounds, when I was at my left-wing friend's house in CA in July, his QAnon neighbor came over for a bbq, and he started randomly bashing Trump about 'his' tax reform. But, the thing is, compared to how horrible Obama and Biden are, Trump is still pretty good, and it's not logically conceivable for them to vote for any Democrat candidate ever, and therefore they are essentially Trumpists.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

bill4long wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:14 am
Gadianton wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:50 am
I looked it up and there is no commucrat party. Isn't Bobby Kennedy an unhinged conspiracy theorist? He should look into the Republican party.
So you're okay with the commucrats banning him from state primaries even though his favorability in the polls is around 45%?

Got it.
1. Do you have an example of any state doing this, or is this just an imagined scenario?

2. How do you feel about a major political party suing to ban unaffiliated voters from participating in a state’s primary? See the link below for a reference:

https://www.cpr.org/2023/08/01/colorado ... primaries/
The Colorado Republican Party is suing the state in an attempt to stop unaffiliated voters, the state’s largest voting bloc, from participating in Republican primary elections.

The lawsuit, filed in federal court in Denver on Monday, alleges that Proposition 108, which voters approved in 2016, is unconstitutional. The initiative required major political parties to allow unaffiliated voters to participate in primary elections. It also included an opt-out clause for parties, if three-fourths of a party’s central committee agrees.

If the suit is successful in striking down Prop 108, it could mean unaffiliated voters would not be able to participate in any party primaries — Republican or Democratic.

The State GOP says the law infringes on the constitutional rights of Republicans including, “the right of political parties to choose their nominees for office without interference by those who are not members of the party and have chosen not to affiliate with the party.”

Of Colorado’s major parties, Republicans have the smallest share of registered voters, followed by Democrats. Unaffiliated voters now comprise the largest percentage of the state’s voters. And the lawsuit alleges that unaffiliated voters have an undue and possibly determinative influence on who Republicans nominate, and can potentially work with Democrats to try to get strong GOP contenders ousted in primary races.

Democratic Secretary of State Jena Griswold’s office is named in the suit. “The court dismissed the prior lawsuit and we continue to believe the new lawsuit has no merit. As Secretary of State, I will always stand up for voters to ensure that their constitutional right to cast a ballot is protected,” she said in a written statement.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Gadianton wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:14 pm
(…) many right-wingers now say they don't like Trump. This is especially true of the ultra-far right, who have bashed Trump for many years now. My right-wing friend as of many months ago was saying he wanted somebody other than Trump and doesn't like Trump anymore, and etc. And crazy as it sounds, when I was at my left-wing friend's house in CA in July, his QAnon neighbor came over for a bbq, and he started randomly bashing Trump about 'his' tax reform. But, the thing is, compared to how horrible Obama and Biden are, Trump is still pretty good, and it's not logically conceivable for them to vote for any Democrat candidate ever, and therefore they are essentially Trumpists.
It is physically and psychologically impossible for the folks you describe to not vote for Trump if he ends up on the ballot, regardless of who the Democratic Party candidate will be.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

And the lawsuit alleges that unaffiliated voters have an undue and possibly determinative influence on who Republicans nominate, and can potentially work with Democrats to try to get strong GOP contenders ousted in primary races.
Utah only lets registered Republicans vote in its primary. However, since Utah will be forever Republican because of its religion, it makes sense for others to register to help ensure that Utah politicians are not batshit crazy right out of the gate. Left to their own devices, Republicans in Utah will seek the most extreme candidates possible. Now that total dishonesty is the main Republican trait, it is even more important for the normals in Utah to intervene. That is unnecessary in two-party states.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace