False news? About UK schools planning to force lockdowns?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Imwashingmypirate
Prophet

False news? About UK schools planning to force lockdowns?

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

I keep seeing and hearing people talk about the schools in th UK and that they are planning to do 72 hour lockdowns and people are like, I'll be pickin my kid up.. etc.

I feel like this is fake news but the way the world is these days I never know what is real and what isn't.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: False news? About UK schools planning to force lockdowns?

Post by Res Ipsa »

About a hundred schools are being totally or partially closed due to use of a defective construction material that has raised safety concerns. Nothing to do with COVID.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... rning.html
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

In China, they refer to such dangerous construction as "Tofu-dreg projects".
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Imwashingmypirate
Prophet

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Ah, I meat kids were being kept inside school.

We received a letter that talked about concrete. I didn't pay any attention.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:05 pm
Ah, I meant kids were being kept inside school.
Trust me on this. If you have seen or heard anything of the kind being talked about, then it was just the result of a conspiracy theorist's brain overheating on social media.

I keep in close touch with a number of reliable sources on UK news and politics, and there has been no suggestion whatsoever of any such plan. Politically, it is hugely improbable that the government would authorise any such measure - which would, of course, be totally pointless in any case and would render the present Tory government even less popular than it currently is.

If you can recall where you heard this, you should adjust your estimate of that source's credibility down a lot of notches.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Politically, it is hugely improbable that the government would authorise any such measure - which would, of course, be totally pointless in any case and would render the present Tory government even less popular than it currently is.
How would the lockdowns be totally pointless in your opinion? Are you not in favor of lockdowns anymore?
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

ajax18 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:23 pm
Politically, it is hugely improbable that the government would authorise any such measure - which would, of course, be totally pointless in any case and would render the present Tory government even less popular than it currently is.
How would the lockdowns be totally pointless in your opinion? Are you not in favor of lockdowns anymore?
Hmm ... I see poor old ajax has been triggered by reading 'lockdown'.

But the OP was about the poster's having heard some odd idea that children would be shut into schools for 72 hours for some unspecified reason. Not the kind of lockdowns ajax is thinking about at all - which were about such things as children not being allowed INTO schools, businesses closing, and so on.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Chap wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:47 pm
ajax18 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:23 pm

But the OP was about the poster's having heard some odd idea that children would be shut into schools for 72 hours for some unspecified reason. Not the kind of lockdowns ajax is thinking about at all - which were about such things as children not being allowed INTO schools, businesses closing, and so on.
Now I get it. No COVID, just the consequences of gypsy building construction.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:05 pm
I keep seeing and hearing people talk about the schools in th UK and that they are planning to do 72 hour lockdowns and people are like, I'll be pickin my kid up.. etc.

I feel like this is fake news but the way the world is these days I never know what is real and what isn't.
Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:13 pm
About a hundred schools are being totally or partially closed due to use of a defective construction material that has raised safety concerns. Nothing to do with COVID.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... rning.html
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:05 pm
Ah, I meat kids were being kept inside school.

We received a letter that talked about concrete. I didn't pay any attention.
ajax18 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:48 pm
I think it is clear that the poster of the OP was not talking about problems with 50 year old concrete (which would keep affected children OUT of school), but about some mysterious plan to shut children INTO schools for 72 hours. Res Ipsa quite sensibly thought she had a distorted view of the concrete problem, but she specifically says that she paid no attention to information about that.

Maybe Imwashingmypirate could just clarify where she heard the statements about lock-ins that caused her concern?
Maksutov:
Mayan Elephant:
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:48 pm
Chap wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:47 pm

Just couldn’t resist an opening for a gratuitous racial slur, eh Ajax?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.