Hurtful Language You May Not know.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Chap
God

Re: Hurtful Language You May Not know.

Post by Chap »

Bond wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:43 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:24 pm
What? When did that happen? Not in my day. To Jew someone down was seen as being adept at doing business. Who the heck turned it into something deceptive? :shock: Are you sure you've got that right? That wasn't my own experience. Where does that come from?
The way I heard "Jew" used was always (multiple times as recently as the 2010s in rural KY) along the lines of "he really tried to Jew me up/down on the price [of an object/business deal]" clearly indicating greediness of the opposing person. Often times aimed at Amish/Mennonite farmers so a slight attack on group outside the mainstream in the area.
Absolutely. Based on the usage I know from the UK, the idea that this expression was some kind of compliment to the supposed business ability of Jewish people seems to me bizarre. Mark you, things may have been different in New Jersey a few decades back ...
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

A rose is a rose by any other name. Time and reputation is what makes a term pejorative or honorific. Hence, language is always changing. Truth ultimately cuts its own way.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

ajax18 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:09 pm
A rose is a rose by any other name. Time and reputation is what makes a term pejorative or honorific. Hence, language is always changing. Truth ultimately cuts its own way.
Yes, indeed. Your posting reminds me that the term “thickheaded hick” is a truism ‘cutting its own way’.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Bond
CTR A

Post by Bond »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:37 am
Bond wrote:

The way I heard "Jew" used was always (multiple times as recently as the 2010s in rural KY) along the lines of "he really tried to Jew me up/down on the price [of an object/business deal]" clearly indicating greediness of the opposing person. Often times aimed at Amish/Mennonite farmers so a slight attack on group outside the mainstream in the area.
Language and it's meaning changes over time. Symbolism same thing.

Example, what's this?

Star of David. David Robinson.
Bond
CTR A

Post by Bond »

Chap wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:40 pm
Bond wrote:
Absolutely. Based on the usage I know from the UK, the idea that this expression was some kind of compliment to the supposed business ability of Jewish people seems to me bizarre. Mark you, things may have been different in New Jersey a few decades back ...
I heard it from the 90s onward and always divisively or dismissively, as by someone who really didn't want to negotiate with the person in the first place or having done so thought they got the better end of the deal despite trying to be swindled.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:35 pm
ajax18 wrote:
Yes, indeed. Your posting reminds me that the term “thickheaded hick” is a truism ‘cutting its own way’.

- Doc
Coming from you, I'll take that as a compliment. It took people like yourself praising Mitt Romney for me to figure out what a horrible president he would have been. Back when the mainstream media was calling him childhood bully, dog killer, and plutocrat, he really had me fooled. But eventually the truth came out.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

ajax18 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:27 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:35 pm

- Doc
Coming from you, I'll take that as a compliment. It took people like yourself praising Mitt Romney for me to figure out what a horrible president he would have been. Back when the mainstream media was calling him childhood bully, dog killer, and plutocrat, he really had me fooled. But eventually the truth came out.
QED
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Father Francis
Bishop

Post by Father Francis »

Jersey Girl wrote:
One more from my own younger years...

You wrote: A deceptive bad deal was "Jewish".

What? When did that happen? Not in my day. To Jew someone down was seen as being adept at doing business. Who the heck turned it into something deceptive? :shock: Are you sure you've got that right? That wasn't my own experience. Where does that come from?

Also, just for general purposes since we're on the topic, to get a good Jew lawyer meant you were getting someone who was well schooled and skilled at applying the law on your behalf.

These refs were NOT slurs on Jews. They were acknowledgements of skill. I suppose you can put your own take on it, but that's not how the phrases were used previously.

You simply cannot put a label on all of these things as detrimental. The use and intentions behind the usage is key and develops culturally over time.

I feel a speech coming on here. I'll get to it as I have time.

Back in high school I was viewed as being tough. What do you think was meant by that? I guarantee you the answer will demonstrate how language usage changes over time.

That Jersey Girl is really tough!

What did that mean?
Thank you for a thoughtful response, Jersey. I respect your posts even when I don't agree with them because they seem authentic to me. I recognize that my view isn't the only view worth considering.

To your first point, in the time and place where I grew up (born in the early 80's in the Salt Lake area) if you got a bad deal people would say you got "Jewed" or "that was Jewish". The Jew lawyer thing can also be viewed another way. It could be seen as saying Jews are so manipulative that they can sway any court in your favor. It also involves making assumptions about a whole group of people. It is offensive to those people even if it involves a positive attribute, like assuming Asian people are good at math. I can't imagine them feeling good about that whether they are or not. If they are good at math they might wonder if people think it's about their race. If they suck at math they might wonder if people are also thinking about their race in relation.

Meanings of words do change over time. Some words won't likely change in the way "tough" has for women in the near future.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

ajax18 wrote:
No. Don't do that where I can see it.

What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Bond wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:
Bond.

Take my hand..

Is it the goal of a business person to turn a profit?

When you buy a car do you pay the full sticker price?
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!