Hurtful Language You May Not know.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Hurtful Language You May Not know.

Post by Jersey Girl »

Marcus wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:33 pm
Bond wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:43 am
The way I heard "Jew" used was always (multiple times as recently as the 2010s in rural KY) along the lines of "he really tried to Jew me up/down on the price [of an object/business deal]" clearly indicating greediness of the opposing person. Often times aimed at Amish/Mennonite farmers so a slight attack on group outside the mainstream in the area.
I'll have to agree with Bond that the usage he described is considered a slur, not a positive label. For reference, I live and work on the East Coast.
I believe you. Like I said, usage and meaning change over time. Different generations, different regions, that sort of thing. Society changes as well. Behaviors that were acceptable back in the day (I can't believe I just used that term) aren't any longer. I have an idea about that. Maybe a new topic. I haven't had time to think it through and there's probably no point because there's no turning back, there is only going forward.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Marcus
God

Re: Hurtful Language You May Not know.

Post by Marcus »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:56 pm
Marcus wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:33 pm
I'll have to agree with Bond that the usage he described is considered a slur, not a positive label. For reference, I live and work on the East Coast.
I believe you. Like I said, usage and meaning change over time. Different generations, different regions, that sort of thing. Society changes as well. Behaviors that were acceptable back in the day (I can't believe I just used that term) aren't any longer. I have an idea about that. Maybe a new topic. I haven't had time to think it through and there's probably no point because there's no turning back, there is only going forward.
Amen, girl, amen!!!! :D