Poll: Republicans see Trump as a ‘person of faith’ ... more so than Mitt Romney, Mike Pence and others

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Poll: Republicans see Trump as a ‘person of faith’ ... more so than Mitt Romney, Mike Pence and others

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

More than half of Republicans see former President Donald Trump as a person of faith, putting him ahead of more vocally religious figures like his former vice president, Mike Pence, according to a new national poll conducted by HarrisX for the Deseret News.

Registered voters were asked whether they considered a list of political figures people of faith. Trump rose to the top of the list for Republicans, while President Joe Biden topped the list for Democrats. Among independents, Sen. Mitt Romney was most likely to be chosen as a person of faith.

Among Republicans, 53% said Trump was a person of faith, ahead of every other person on the list — although he was statistically tied with Pence, who came in at 52%.

Trump also led several of his other opponents in the Republican presidential primary, with 47% of Republican respondents saying Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis is a person of faith, 31% for Sen. Tim Scott, 31% for former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley, 30% for entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy, and 22% for New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie.
https://www.deseret.com/2023/9/26/23891 ... -ramaswamy

Are Republicans really so stupid as to think that Donald Trump, a guy who couldn't name a single Bible verse to save his life, is a religious person?

Sure there are plenty of gullible right-wingers, but surely some of the 53% must be lying in the survey.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Poll: Republicans see Trump as a ‘person of faith’ ... more so than Mitt Romney, Mike Pence and others

Post by Res Ipsa »

I thought this was interesting:
But, the Deseret News/HarrisX poll shows evangelical voters were much more likely to say Pence is a man of faith (65%) than Trump (37%). Catholic voters and nonevangelical Protestants were also more likely to say Pence is a man of faith, showing the perception of Trump as a man of faith was more related to voters’ political identity than their religious identity.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
huckelberry
God

Re: Poll: Republicans see Trump as a ‘person of faith’ ... more so than Mitt Romney, Mike Pence and others

Post by huckelberry »

I wonder if people are thinking of man of faith as meaning a person faithful to and creating faith in the desired political faith.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Republicans associate being The Crime Boss of the Republican Party with something holy. I suspect that is because MAGA values are far removed from religions outside of Evangelicalism.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace