House Republicans in Disarray

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Some Schmo
God

Re: House Republicans in Disarray

Post by Some Schmo »

So, the new speaker was the lead BS generator (behind the scenes) coming up with nonsense talking points on how the election was stolen.

How comforting. Our new speaker is another traitor.

It's got to be comforting to the criminals and morons that they have full, exclusive representation in the GOP.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
hauslern
Bishop

Post by hauslern »

Nothing changes.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... i-abortion.

He tried to overturn the 2020 election.
He was a spokesperson for a ‘hate group.’
He opposes LGBTQ+ rights.
He is stringently anti-abortion.

Good grief America is this the best you can do?
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Some Schmo wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:00 pm
So, the new speaker was the lead BS generator (behind the scenes) coming up with nonsense talking points on how the election was stolen.

It's got to be comforting to the criminals and morons that they have full, exclusive representation in the GOP.
They elected Trump?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Did you all watch the proceedings? I saw parts of it. What self aggrandizing pompous windbags! Congratulating and elevating themselves like they haven't totally screwed over the American public with their recent clown car extravaganza!

Pats on the back all around! What utter self serving morons!
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Some Schmo wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:00 pm

So what you're saying is that he kisses the ring, right?

I blame you guys here in Paradise for ever getting me interested in politics. It's every single thing I ever assumed it was. And probably worse than my assumptions.

One good thing about following Don John's every move though. I shagged butt right out of the Republican party!
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Manetho wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:09 pm
honorentheos wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:19 pm
I agree...in that everything about the above says Gaetz and what he represents are clearly a threat to the entire democratic system. The issue is if bipartisan government and compromise is worth supporting. Apparently not.
Bipartisanship is not an end in itself. The key question when making any compromise is: what do we get out of it?
The results of this debacle are concerning, in my opinion. When it started I did not think of the possibility it would serve to filter out the pro-MAGA leadership too unpalatable for moderate Republicans while leaving a pro-MAGA speaker with broad Republican support in the chair.

One concern about Trump we don't talk about much these days is how he opened the door for future candidates with the same authoritarian views but with actual political competency. Watching the House reject the Trump-like Jim Jordan was likely if not certain. That we would end up with Johnson as speaker...not on the radar.

We talk about the Gaetz, MTG, and Boeberts but none of those three could reasonably expect to actually do much more than be bomb throwing firebrands and media whores. We don't talk about the truly dangerous folks who might actually get impactful legislation passed. Looks like we are moving into a new phase now and that might change.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Why do you think the moderates were willing to back him if he's more extreme than the others?
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

honorentheos wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:33 am
Manetho wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:09 pm
Bipartisanship is not an end in itself. The key question when making any compromise is: what do we get out of it?
The results of this debacle are concerning, in my opinion. When it started I did not think of the possibility it would serve to filter out the pro-MAGA leadership too unpalatable for moderate Republicans while leaving a pro-MAGA speaker with broad Republican support in the chair.

One concern about Trump we don't talk about much these days is how he opened the door for future candidates with the same authoritarian views but with actual political competency. Watching the House reject the Trump-like Jim Jordan was likely if not certain. That we would end up with Johnson as speaker...not on the radar.

We talk about the Gaetz, MTG, and Boeberts but none of those three could reasonably expect to actually do much more than be bomb throwing firebrands and media whores. We don't talk about the truly dangerous folks who might actually get impactful legislation passed. Looks like we are moving into a new phase now and that might change.
So, what are you afraid of that might get passed?
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Johnson is similar to Mike Pence in that his strong Christian identity doesn't just bleed into his politics, they share a heart.

Legislation such as the nation-wide abortion ban, discriminatory legislation especially targeted at same-sex marriage and LGBTQ rights, reducing or removing the separation between church and state, and anti-pluralism legislation are categories I suspect are now more likely to make it through the House than before.

I also suspect we will see the House reject sending more money to support Ukraine even as we bend over backwards for Israel. Other budget bills will be deeply motivated by far right views seeking to reduce or remove governmental regulation of industries. Reduced support for organized labor. Reduced support for climate action. Less support for science-based programs and education. Things like that.
Last edited by honorentheos on Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manetho
Valiant B

Post by Manetho »

Gadianton wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:23 pm
Why do you think the moderates were willing to back him if he's more extreme than the others?
From what I've read, it sounds like the people who opposed Jordan did so more because he is personally obnoxious than for policy-based reasons. Johnson is just as crazy as Jordan but not as much of a bully to his fellow Republicans.
Last edited by Manetho on Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.