Israel

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Israel

Post by Jersey Girl »

IDF Lt.Col. says 2 civilians for every terrorist is a ratio that is "tremendously positive" and that they are targeting terrorists, not the civilians that terrorists use as human shields.

CNN presses the IDF spokesperson on the ratio of civilian casualties. Hear his response
https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2023/1 ... nk-vpx.cnn

Okay fine. I get it. Compared to the rest of the military operations in the entire universe that were ever carried out in all of human history, a 2:1 ratio is good and you're not after civilians. Hamas just happens to be hiding out behind them.

Now...Kindly tell me why you are hitting REFUGEE camps and do you think the children who are traumatized beyond all comprehension think it's positive?

Palestinian children in tears as Gaza refugee camp hit by apparent Israeli airstrikes

https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2023/1 ... rig-sa.cnn

What is wrong with you people? Are you people? Are THEY people? Oh wait, the 2:1 you took out in search of Hamas in a REFUGEE camp were probably just their parents.

You are bombing refugee camps, starving out the Gazans, now you're bombing to the south where you told them to go and seek refuge in the first place.

Are you completely Putin level insane? Blood thirsty? Who exactly are the terrorists again?

Merry Crisis!
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:35 am
IDF Lt.Col. says 2 civilians for every terrorist is a ratio that is "tremendously positive" and that they are targeting terrorists, not the civilians that terrorists use as human shields.
The Times of Israel has an unnamed IDF official confirming that the death toll being reported by Palestine is likely accurate, and that there have been approximately 5,000 terrorists killed.

As a reference point, there have been more than 5,000 Palestinian children killed. In other words, the acceptable (and confirmed) ratio for the IDF is one Palestinian child killed for each terrorist killed.

In what modern conflict, other than this one, would that math even begin to be acceptable to the global community? Good gravy.
yellowstone123
Bishop

Post by yellowstone123 »

It’s sad. Very sad. It seems like those who push buttons don’t care. I will say this that those in power in Gaza have a history of having children around them, dressing in civilian clothing and thinking Israel won’t take them out. The thoughts are wrong.

The Dresden fire bombing in WW2 where civilians took shelter in water tanks only to have the incendiary bombs created so much heat, the water in the tanks began boiling lead to a horrific death for those inside. Many thought the British general that ordered using incendiary bombs should be tried for war crimes.

I think after this horror is over, there are newspapers that are going to be asking a lot of questions.

Basically, 10/7 is Israel’s 9/11 and it’s going to take a while for them to cease operations.
“one of the important things for anybody in power is to distinguish between what you have the right to do and what is right to do." Potter Stewart, associate justice of the Supreme Court - 1958 to 1981.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:43 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
The Times of Israel has an unnamed IDF official confirming that the death toll being reported by Palestine is likely accurate, and that there have been approximately 5,000 terrorists killed.

As a reference point, there have been more than 5,000 Palestinian children killed. In other words, the acceptable (and confirmed) ratio for the IDF is one Palestinian child killed for each terrorist killed.

In what modern conflict, other than this one, would that math even begin to be acceptable to the global community? Good gravy.
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this eye for an eye stuff is outrageous. Geneva convention with regard to declared war is apparently obsolete because anything goes.

Even the children.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

AIPAC just got Congress, Congress!, to equate anti-zionism with antisemitism. Wow. This is bananas. I’m sobered. Shocked. I dunno, I feel like this is an alt-reality right now.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/12/ ... resolution

This isn’t a baby step toward curbing free speech, it’s one helluva jump toward it.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:

I keep searching my mind to try to find parallels between the ME and Ukraine circumstances and I just can't. They're not the same. I don't even know how to think about it any more. Israel claims that Hamas wants to wipe Jews off the face of the earth. Isn't that what Israel is effectively doing to Palestinians that have nothing to do with Hamas unless you count being victims of Hamas as an association?

Where am I wrong? Do I misunderstand?

Now Netanyahu says Israel should essentially occupy and control the Gaza Strip. Am I misunderstanding his statement?

If I didn't know better (and I've been saying this throughout this thread when I've come into it) this is not just about driving out Hamas. It's about a land grab that re-establishes what the Jews believe are the original borders gifted to them by Yahweh.

I suppose time will tell. I suppose I could be wrong.

What's left of my gut says I'm not wrong because after they occupy and control it, where is the plan for giving it back to non-Hamas Palestinians.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:45 am
AIPAC just got Congress, Congress!, to equate anti-zionism with antisemitism. Wow. This is bananas. I’m sobered. Shocked. I dunno, I feel like this is an alt-reality right now.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/12/ ... resolution

This isn’t a baby step toward curbing free speech, it’s one helluva jump toward it.

- Doc
Antizionism and antisemitism are two very different concepts though I suppose there is room for overlap.

I don't know what is happening in the world right now or where it will lead.

I can look at crime scene photos and deceased victims re: True Crime. I can read through autopsy reports and view close up color autopsy photos like it's my job. I can read about human decomp and how it takes place under various conditions stage by stage.

But I am reaching a point where I can't even look or read about this outright mass hatred and brutality that is going on in both Ukraine and the ME. Not gonna lie, it's getting to me where I just want to turn away from it all.

The situation in Gaza is so far out of control and the hate based crimes in this country and other countries is driving me mentally underground. Isn't Israel's approach to Gaza reminiscent of Nazi Germany? How am I wrong? They've got the Gazan residents backed into a corner where they told them to go in the first place, trapped them there, and are bombing them off the planet.

How far is that from...get in the oven?

You don't have to reply to this. I needed to just say it.

War is utter insanity.

Slava Ukraini!
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
In what modern conflict, other than this one, would that math even begin to be acceptable to the global community?
World War II.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:26 am
Doctor Steuss wrote:
In what modern conflict, other than this one, would that math even begin to be acceptable to the global community?
World War II.
Putting aside the fact that the same precision guided munitions, satellite imagery, and drone capabilities of modern conflicts not being around in World War II -- was the child to military casualty ratio more than 1:1?
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:03 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:26 am
World War II.
Putting aside the fact that the same precision guided munitions, satellite imagery, and drone capabilities of modern conflicts not being around in World War II -- was the child to military casualty ratio more than 1:1?
An atomic bomb dropped on Japan probably killed quite a few children. Like Hamas, Japan refused to surrender.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.