Israel

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Morley
God
Location: Gotta love this 1794 woodcut portrait by Toshusai Sharaku.

Re: Israel

Post by Morley »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:38 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:09 am
Mr. Vonnegut might disagree ... And so it goes.
Well played, sir.
indeed.
yellowstone123
1st Counselor

Post by yellowstone123 »

I think in war when people are attacked then they want justice. Even God said if Israel would seek justice and righteousness he could bless them.

Our 9/11 kept us in the Middle East around 20 years for us to just pull up stakes and leave. Some may argue what filled the vacuum of deceased dictators was worse. Does one want to deal with Gadaffi, Hussein or the militias that filled the void.

For families who lost love ones they are asking why. It didn't seem like we wanted to win like we did in World War II.

In World War II people deferred their college to go fight the fascist. But trial and error, adapting, and going forward is what they try to do. In 1942 Billy Mitchell and his group flew B-25 bombers off the an Aircraft carrier to bomb Tokyo knowing they didn't have the fuel to return.

I was reading a book called The Unknown Battle of Midway by a guy who was on the aircraft carrier Enterprise. It reveals: "The Battle of Midway is considered the greatest U.S. naval victory, but behind the luster is the devastation of the American torpedo squadrons. Of the 51 planes sent to attack Japanese carriers only 7 returned, and of the 126 aircrew only 29 survived. Not a single torpedo hit its target."
“one of the important things for anybody in power is to distinguish between what you have the right to do and what is right to do." Potter Stewart, associate justice of the Supreme Court - 1958 to 1981.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Vēritās wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:40 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mr. Vonnegut might disagree you with along with people in Tokyo and Dresden, Cologne, Essen, Dortmund, Hanover, Nuremberg, Chemnitz, and so on.
Point taken. I was thinking more along the lines of US involvement in Europe.
Dresden, Cologne, Essen, Dortmund, Hanover, Nuremberg, and Chemnitz are all in Europe.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Father Francis
Bishop

Post by Father Francis »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Vēritās wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:21 am
There was far more at stake. Civilians were not targeted, military complexes and manufacturing plants were. Smart bombs didn't exist 80 years ago, and the threat to the world posed by Germany was far greater than anything a handful of impoverished bandits with cheap rockets could ever hope to present to Israel. Allied forces during WWII didn't run through civilian homes of Germany raping the women and murdering the children for sport as the IDF does in the West Bank.
Mr. Vonnegut might disagree you with along with people in Tokyo and Dresden, Cologne, Essen, Dortmund, Hanover, Nuremberg, Chemnitz, and so on.
Slaughterhouse Five is a masterpiece.
yellowstone123
1st Counselor

Post by yellowstone123 »

I never understood Slaughter House Five. I wanted to read the hundred greatest books ever written. I understood the war scenes but not the aliens. It’s been a while and maybe I should revisit it.

Also, thank you to the person who edited out my repeats posts. I kept trying to edit a post and another same paragraph would appear. I should have edited on my laptop and not my tablet. Again, thank you.
“one of the important things for anybody in power is to distinguish between what you have the right to do and what is right to do." Potter Stewart, associate justice of the Supreme Court - 1958 to 1981.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

I'm not scrolling through umpteen updates on CNN to find the article right now but is this an acceptable tactic in warfare?

Live Updates Israel begins flooding Gaza tunnels with seawater ‘on a limited basis,’ US official says
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:06 am
I'm not scrolling through umpteen updates on CNN to find the article right now but is this an acceptable tactic in warfare?

Live Updates Israel begins flooding Gaza tunnels with seawater ‘on a limited basis,’ US official says
Yes.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:15 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:06 am

Yes.
There are some things that are ruled out by international laws on conduct in warfare, but flooding out an armed enemy with whom one is engaged in active combat is not one of them.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Chap wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:17 am
Dr. Shades wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:15 am
Yes.
There are some things that are ruled out by international laws on conduct in warfare, but flooding out an armed enemy with whom one is engaged in active combat is not one of them.
So, just like I said?
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:15 pm
Chap wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:17 am
So, just like I said?
My post attempted to sketch the factual legal basis behind your one-word assertion. So like, but different?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.