Book recommend on the historical rise of Rabbinic Judaism, please

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Book recommend on the historical rise of Rabbinic Judaism, please

Post by Jersey Girl »

Hello Terrestrial Friends!

I've recently learned something I didn't know about Judaism. Please bear with my ignorance on the topic. It seems to me that Hebrew scriptures were altered or edited on account of Rabbinic Judaism. Much like my impression of the LDS scripture and the Bible. Perhaps there are some parallels? Has anyone here got knowledge about it or a good book on the historical rise of Rabbinic Judaism?

I don't know enough yet to even be conversant on the topic but my interest has been piqued and I feel pulled to go off on a journey about it. All I think I know is that something changed about Judaism, a split or whatever, and all I have at the moment is a wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbinic_Judaism

I want to understand this.

Got anything factual I can read? Something that presents timelines and historical matter? The significance of historical and religious events?

Thanks,
Jersey
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
huckelberry
God

Re: Book recommend, please

Post by huckelberry »

jersey Girl, I am unsure where your question is located , well wanting to expand ones knowledge is a reasonable thing. The Wikipedia article looks like good basic information.

From all I am aware of the Hebraic scriptures became standardized by the time of development of rabbinic Judaism. The Talmud is separate or distinct creation based upon tradition, oral as Wikipedia notes. It is some five feet of bookshelf.(approximately to my memory, its been some years since I looked it in college library)

I may not be helping here. There are a few Jewish books that I have read which meant quite a bit to me but I do not think they fit what you may be looking for very well.

wikipedia is close at hand
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbinic_literature
or perhaps
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masoretic_Text
this did not consider any possible conceptual variations.

Hopefully not to be too obvious but the historical events causing the rise of Rabbinic Judaism are not obscure.I do not know any reason to wonder beyond the clear events. Those would be the well know Jewish war in the second half first century. The temple and Jerusalem were destroyed and Jewish people dispersed. Second war early next century furthered the dispersal.

The faith was previously centered upon the temple and temple sacrifice. With no temple and no temple sacrifice it had to be rethought.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

This book tells the story of the fiery relationship between a beautiful Jewish young woman, Anatevka Stein, and a portly bagel tycoon, Chaim Silver. It documents their passionate relationship all while educating the reader about Jewish history and scripture. Highly recommend.

Here is a review from our very own Moksha:

"I didn't like it. It fell in my toilet and I couldn't get it to dry. I strongly feel this was an act of God. I decided against burning it and just threw it out in the non-recycle bin. Yes folks, I am a horrible person." Moksha

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifty_Sha ... A_A_Parody
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:28 pm

I've recently learned something I didn't know about Judaism. Please bear with my ignorance on the topic. It seems to me that Hebrew scriptures were altered or edited on account of Rabbinic Judaism. Much like my impression of the LDS scripture and the Bible. Perhaps there are some parallels? Has anyone here got knowledge about it or a good book on the historical rise of Rabbinic Judaism?

I don't know enough yet to even be conversant on the topic but my interest has been piqued and I feel pulled to go off on a journey about it. All I think I know is that something changed about Judaism, a split or whatever, and all I have at the moment is a wiki.

Got anything factual I can read? Something that presents timelines and historical matter? The significance of historical and religious events?

Thanks,
Jersey
A highly recommended book on the historical rise of Rabbinic Judaism is "Rabbinic Judaism: Space, Time, and Community" by Stefan C. Reif. This book provides a comprehensive overview of the development of Rabbinic Judaism, exploring its origins, key figures, theological shifts, and the socio-cultural context in which it emerged. Reif's work is well-regarded for its scholarly depth and accessibility to both academics and general readers interested in Jewish history and religion.

Another excellent resource is "From Text to Tradition: A History of Second Temple and Rabbinic Judaism" by Lawrence H. Schiffman. This book covers the period from the Second Temple era to the establishment of Rabbinic Judaism, offering a detailed examination of the historical, religious, and cultural forces that shaped the development of this tradition.

Additionally, "The Emergence of Judaism: Classical Traditions in Contemporary Perspective" by Christine Hayes provides a comprehensive overview of the historical, theological, and cultural aspects of the emergence of Rabbinic Judaism. Hayes' book is known for its clear and engaging writing style, making it accessible to a wide range of readers.

These books should provide you with a solid foundation for understanding the historical rise of Rabbinic Judaism and its evolution over time. Happy reading!
Edited to add:
Yes, there are indeed scholarly works that address the editing and redaction of Hebrew scriptures in relation to the development of Rabbinic Judaism. One important book on this topic is "The Textual History of the Bible" by Emanuel Tov. This comprehensive work delves into the textual development of the Hebrew Bible, including discussions on textual variants, scribal practices, and the influence of different Jewish groups, including the Rabbinic tradition.

Another significant work is "The Formation of the Hebrew Bible: A New Reconstruction" by David M. Carr. Carr explores the complex process of how various texts were collected, edited, and redacted over time, shedding light on the influences of different religious communities, including the Rabbinic movement.

Keep in mind that this field of study, often referred to as textual criticism or textual history of the Hebrew Bible, is quite nuanced and can involve detailed analysis of ancient manuscripts, linguistic features, and historical contexts. Therefore, it may be beneficial to start with more general works before delving into more specialized and technical literature.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:30 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:28 pm

Thanks,
Jersey
A highly recommended book on the historical rise of Rabbinic Judaism is "Rabbinic Judaism: Space, Time, and Community" by Stefan C. Reif. This book provides a comprehensive overview of the development of Rabbinic Judaism, exploring its origins, key figures, theological shifts, and the socio-cultural context in which it emerged. Reif's work is well-regarded for its scholarly depth and accessibility to both academics and general readers interested in Jewish history and religion.

Another excellent resource is "From Text to Tradition: A History of Second Temple and Rabbinic Judaism" by Lawrence H. Schiffman. This book covers the period from the Second Temple era to the establishment of Rabbinic Judaism, offering a detailed examination of the historical, religious, and cultural forces that shaped the development of this tradition.

Additionally, "The Emergence of Judaism: Classical Traditions in Contemporary Perspective" by Christine Hayes provides a comprehensive overview of the historical, theological, and cultural aspects of the emergence of Rabbinic Judaism. Hayes' book is known for its clear and engaging writing style, making it accessible to a wide range of readers.

These books should provide you with a solid foundation for understanding the historical rise of Rabbinic Judaism and its evolution over time. Happy reading!
Edited to add:
Yes, there are indeed scholarly works that address the editing and redaction of Hebrew scriptures in relation to the development of Rabbinic Judaism. One important book on this topic is "The Textual History of the Bible" by Emanuel Tov. This comprehensive work delves into the textual development of the Hebrew Bible, including discussions on textual variants, scribal practices, and the influence of different Jewish groups, including the Rabbinic tradition.

Another significant work is "The Formation of the Hebrew Bible: A New Reconstruction" by David M. Carr. Carr explores the complex process of how various texts were collected, edited, and redacted over time, shedding light on the influences of different religious communities, including the Rabbinic movement.

Keep in mind that this field of study, often referred to as textual criticism or textual history of the Hebrew Bible, is quite nuanced and can involve detailed analysis of ancient manuscripts, linguistic features, and historical contexts. Therefore, it may be beneficial to start with more general works before delving into more specialized and technical literature.
Oh thank God for you, Philo Sofee. Thank you!
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:32 pm
Philo Sofee wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:30 pm

Edited to add:

Oh thank God for you, Philo Sofee. Thank you!
Heh, I was thinking the same thing about you Jersey Girl!
Moksha
God

Re: Book recommend on the historical rise of Rabbinic Judaism, please

Post by Moksha »

Besides my entry from Everybody Wang Chung, here are some short clips from Simon Schama's The Story of the Jews:

https://utah.pbslearningmedia.org/colle ... -the-jews/
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Kerr do you understand the following to be true or inaccurate?
In 70 CE, at the height of the First Jewish–Roman War, the Second Temple was destroyed by the Roman army led by Titus during the siege of Jerusalem.[a] The destruction of the Second Temple was a cataclysmic and transformative point in Jewish history,[4] and led to the development of Rabbinic Judaism as the primary form of religious practice among Jews worldwide.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Te ... d's_Temple

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Moksha wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:25 am
Besides my entry from Everybody Wang Chung, here are some short clips from Simon Schama's The Story of the Jews:

https://utah.pbslearningmedia.org/colle ... -the-jews/
Thanks, Mok. I found a lengthy lecture or documentary on youtube as well I'm gonna listen to tomorrow. I'm off on a journey and it's not true crime.

Or is it?

;-)

Slava Ukraini!
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:53 am
I'm off on a journey and it's not true crime.

Or is it?

;-)
Depends if you count the robbery-homicide of Laban or not. It is rumored that he absconded to parts unknown.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace