Two Tiered Justice System

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Some Schmo
God

Two Tiered Justice System

Post by Some Schmo »

It is absolutely true that there is a double standard in America's justice system. The idiots in the GOP would have everyone believe that it's a double standard between R's and D's, but it's really between the rich and the poor.

I agree that Trump is being treated unfairly... to everyone else indicted by our justice system. The damned asshole should be in prison awaiting trial, not out making idiotic and dangerous public statements. I agree with the spirit of this article. One of these judges needs to lock down this ugly orange screwup.

I understand people being upset with our justice system, but it would seem at least 30-40% of Americans are upset for BS reasons.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Doctor Steuss
God

Re: Two Tiered Justice System

Post by Doctor Steuss »

In New York, if you stole $1,000 from a store, it'd be a felony that'd likely get you some prison time.

In New York, if you stole $3,000,000 from contractors and employees by not paying them for the work they did, it'd be a misdemeanor, and more than likely only be handled civilly.

It's not just tiered in how those suspected/charged with crimes are treated -- it's tiered in regards to the crimes themselves.

ETA:

Anecdotally, last month I had someone call me from jail, to see if I could help them.

Their bail was set at $38,000. I contacted several bail bond places, and the cheapest was $5,200 (and then putting my house up as collateral). None of that $5,200 would be returned, even upon successful completion of probation/court/etc. It was the “fee” for them to put up the cash. I didn't have anywhere near that much money; fortunately, several days later, a judge ordered them released on their own recognizance. Even with the judge’s order, everything was on the jail’s timeline. They spent another 3 weeks in jail after the judge’s order. While still in jail waiting release, two of the three charges were dropped (which would have changed their cash bail to being between $1,000-2,000).

Visitation had to be scheduled beforehand, and there was a fee to use the video-conferencing stations (the only way to visit an inmate). In other words, you had to pay to visit the inmate. I had to set up a phone account, and pay (it was about $0.21/minute) to receive phone calls from them. Similarly, for them to use the phone, I had to put money on an account for them.

Right now, it looks like the remaining charge will either be dropped, or reduced to a simple misdemeanor. People’s lives are easily irreparably ruined in the current system simply by being poor. Families/friends of inmates also have their access to communicate dictated by whether they are poor or not.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

I think a bail system is a load of bollocks. I get the principle but still, it's not right. If it came out of their own finances or they were fined and had to set up an arrangement themselves then yes. But to expect a friend or relative to pay that much. It's like bein a guarantor, except your losing. I don't know if we have that in the UK. I've never heard anyone say it in that context here.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:08 pm
People’s lives are easily irreparably ruined in the current system simply by being poor.
They're also easily irreparably ruined by committing crime.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:31 am
Doctor Steuss wrote:
People’s lives are easily irreparably ruined in the current system simply by being poor.
So once someone has committed a crime, in addition to the sentence passed you are OK with them and their families being penalised in any way that makes money? Like rich families get to talk to prisoners in person and on the phone, and poor people can't?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:31 am
Doctor Steuss wrote:
I'm really not sure what point you were trying to make in the context of this thread. Nobody's arguing crimes shouldn't be punished.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Chap wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:45 am
So once someone has committed a crime, in addition to the sentence passed you are OK with them and their families being penalised in any way that makes money? Like rich families get to talk to prisoners in person and on the phone, and poor people can't?
Of course not. But poor people can easily avoid those things by refraining from committing crime.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
High Spy
1st Quorum of 70

Post by High Spy »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Their bail was set at $38,000. I contacted several bail bond places, and the cheapest was $5,200 (and then putting my house up as collateral). None of that $5,200 would be returned, even upon successful completion of probation/court/etc. It was the “fee” for them to put up the cash.
38k is an interesting amount, considering 3.8 billion to Israel now too. Synchronicity, or like my last charitable donation of $38.18 after applying lessons learned about gematria. The bail bondsman’s son was a film studies major, which is a major few could afford back in the days of 16mm film. So yea, they do profit mightily.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

High Spy wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:30 am
Doctor Steuss wrote:
Their bail was set at $38,000. I contacted several bail bond places, and the cheapest was $5,200 (and then putting my house up as collateral).
The bail bondsman’s son was a film studies major, . . .
How do you know?
High Spy
1st Quorum of 70

Post by High Spy »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:37 pm
High Spy wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:30 am

The bail bondsman’s son was a film studies major, . . .
How do you know?
Air Guard Buddies who helped him edit NPR documentary about earthquake proofing the SLC City and County Building. He started out Best Boy, but ended up being the Director.

Maybe Director often fund movies, or more likely that’s what producers are for? Anyway his apartment was kitty-corner from said building, which is near 3 hots and a cot.
. . . * . . . . . . . . **

3*8** Knight Lion, but not Nite Lion. 🐳 gbng

Everybody's heard the whale and 8 are linked. :lol:

Choose the 🥩