Mass Shooter Found Dead

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Vēritās
God

Mass Shooter Found Dead

Post by Vēritās »

The Trump loving mass shooter who liked social media posts from numerous hard core Right wing figures like Tucker Carlson and Dinesh DeSouza, has been found dead from an apparent suicide.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
High Spy
1st Quorum of 70

Re: Mass Shooter Found Dead

Post by High Spy »

Main Mass, but not Murderer? :mrgreen:
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

It would be much more helpful to the potential victims of mass murders for the aspiring mass murderer to start at the bottom of their ‘To Do’ list, rather than the top.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

I think there were somewhere between 20-30 deaths from the thousands of Black Lives Matter protests. As a result, multiple right-wing legislatures passed laws to limit First Amendment rights.

In the past week alone, more people have been killed in mass shootings than in the entirety of the Black Lives Matter protests. For this, we'll get more thoughts and prayers.

<<This space reserved for Onion article that never ages>>
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

There is no evidence that this shooting had anything to do with "liking" posts by Trump or Carlson. The shooter was referred for mental health services after he began making threatening statements to members of his military reserve unit. He mentioned hearing voices, which is a symptom of schizophrenia. He had two weeks of inpatient evaluation/treatment at a mental health facility and was then released. When the threats continued, his commander reported him to law enforcement. The shooter then disappeared and for about a month before the shootings.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... bert-card/
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Weird how we seem to be the only country with people who suffer from "I have to kill everyone I see" Mental illness.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Just speaking generally I believe I have heard caution about expecting schizophrenia to produce violent people. It has been seen as prejudicial to people with mental illness and not characteristic of the illness. Perhaps in some cases mental illness is mixed with something else to produce a more violent compound.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:23 pm
He mentioned hearing voices, …
Probably Tucker Carlson’s.

… but, seriously, I can’t help but think that the day-to-day, relentless drumbeat of paranoia, other-ism and victimization promoted by outlets like Fox does not promote a healthy mental state. It would only seem to exacerbate an unhealthy one.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

huckelberry wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:06 pm
Just speaking generally I believe I have heard caution about expecting schizophrenia to produce violent people. It has been seen as prejudicial to people with mental illness and not characteristic of the illness. Perhaps in some cases mental illness is mixed with something else to produce a more violent compound.
This is true of mental illness in general. Only rare forms of mental illness cause one to become violent. But every time someone shoots up a town, particularly if they're male, white, and/or Christian/Republican, it is chalked up under the wide umbrella of "mental illness" as if that explains everything. But as Progressive like to point out, mental illness isn't unique to America. It exists worldwide, and yet we're the only nation that suffers these tragedies on a regular basis. This suggests there are other factors at play. Something other than the ubiquitous nature of firearms, of course.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:23 pm
[...] He mentioned hearing voices, which is a symptom of schizophrenia. [...]
The following is pure anecdotal speculation.

One of the articles I read mentioned he had recently gotten hearing aids. Pretty early in all of this, so who really knows what's verified and what's just "hey, this is different than what we've reported so far... so let's report it."

The reason I mention this is that it might not have been stereotypical auditory hallucinations. My ex-wife had several schizoaffective diagnoses by a couple of psychs over the years because of hearing things. She finally had a psych that was looking over all of the symptoms, and sent her to see an otolaryngologist. Turns out, she has kind of super hearing at a few different spectrums (doc was old as dirt, and said she one of only a handful of people he had ever treated with hearing that sensitive). The things she hears are real, just difficult to process because of the fairly narrow hertz ranges that are picked up.

Could be that the "voices" were a similar phenomenon. With the hearing aids, he was able to hear hertz ranges that his brain didn't have experience processing/filtering, and processed them into voices.