Project 2025 - Dangerous Plans For Altering Our Government

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Nomomo
Priest

Project 2025 - Dangerous Plans For Altering Our Government

Post by Nomomo »

Project 2025 -
Purpose: Plan to reshape the U.S. federal government to support the agenda of a second Trump term
Director: Paul Dans

Source for the quotes below: Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_2025
Project 2025 is a plan to reshape the executive branch of the U.S. federal government in the event of a Republican victory in the 2024 United States presidential election. Established in 2022, the project seeks to recruit thousands of conservatives to Washington, D.C. to replace existing federal civil service workers it characterizes as the "deep state" to further the agenda and policies of Donald Trump. The plan would perform a swift takeover of the entire executive branch under a maximalist version of the unitary executive theory – a theory proposing the president of the United States has absolute power of the executive branch – upon inauguration.
Project 2025 seeks to place the entire Executive Branch of the U.S. federal government under direct presidential control, eliminating the independence of the Department of Justice, Federal Communications Commission, Federal Trade Commission and other agencies.
In November 2023, The Washington Post reported that deploying the military for domestic law enforcement under the Insurrection Act would be an "immediate priority" upon a second Trump inauguration in 2025. That aspect of the plan was being led by Jeffrey Clark, a Trump co-defendant in the Georgia election racketeering prosecution and an unnamed co-conspirator in the federal prosecution of Trump for alleged election obstruction. The plan also includes directing the Justice Department to pursue those Trump considers disloyal or political adversaries.
Chauncey DeVega of Salon.com and Spencer Ackerman in The Nation have characterized Project 2025 as a plan to install Trump as a dictator, warning that Trump could prosecute and imprison enemies or overthrow American democracy altogether. Longtime Republican Tom Nichols wrote in The Atlantic that Trump "is not bluffing about his plans to jail his opponents and suppress—by force, if necessary—the rights of American citizens." David Corn, writing in Mother Jones, described it as "an authoritarian danger that threatens American democracy", which if undefeated "would place the nation on a path to autocracy.
Last edited by Nomomo on Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Moksha
God

Re: Project 2025 - Dangerous Plans For Altering Our Government

Post by Moksha »

Ending American democracy and instituting a series of fascist initiatives sounds like a real nightmare. When the German people bought into a similar plan back in the 1930s, it did not end well for them.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

This should be required reading for voters.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

This is exactly why all the nonsense coming from the left is inconsequential. Yes, it annoys me, but nothing like Republican grift, hypocrisy, and fascist leanings annoy, and frankly, scare the crap out of me.

I will never vote for a Republican until democracy becomes a vocal part of the GOP agenda, not even a damned Republican mayor. The left can do whatever they want as long as they honor and maintain support for democracy.

And honestly, The GOP is going to have to get a lot more secular before I'll ever vote for another Republican. This recent desire to do away with separation of church and state has never made me more vocal about my anti-religious stance. “F” people's religion and their idiotic ideas for the American public. You can “F” off and die a painful damned death. Screw you and your imaginary sky daddies. I hate your obvious BS.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Some Schmo wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:55 am
This is exactly why all the nonsense coming from the left is inconsequential. Yes, it annoys me, but nothing like Republican grift, hypocrisy, and fascist leanings annoy, and frankly, scare the crap out of me.

I will never vote for a Republican until democracy becomes a vocal part of the GOP agenda, not even a damned Republican mayor. The left can do whatever they want as long as they honor and maintain support for democracy.

And honestly, The GOP is going to have to get a lot more secular before I'll ever vote for another Republican. This recent desire to do away with separation of church and state has never made me more vocal about my anti-religious stance. “F” people's religion and their idiotic ideas for the American public. You can “F” off and die a painful damned death. Screw you and your imaginary sky daddies. I hate your obvious BS.
Removing separation of church and state should scare the heck out of any God believer. They have it exactly backwards.

They really don't care about religion. What they care about are the sweeping votes they expect that support their power, status, and wealth.

Anyone with flipping eyes can see that. Apparently many are sight impaired.

It is simply nauseating.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Oh, come ON! This whole thing reeks of a lame conspiracy theory. Donald Trump is hardly far-sighted enough to come up with a sweeping plan like this.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

The far right extremists who have successfully hijacked what is left of the once honorable party of Abraham Lincoln (arguably the greatest President we ever had) no longer really even try to hide the fact that their ultimate goal is to transform our country into a brutal, authoritarian, Christian theocracy. Nothing could be more antithetical to the intentions of our founding fathers and the authors of our constitution. They don't want to recognize any other authority than their particular perception of God, as determined by their prayers and subjective faith in divine revelation and inspiration.

The most obvious advantage and appeal of this approach to discerning truth is that once one has become convinced, or has convinced oneself, that one's most cherished and/or longest held beliefs are a product of divine revelation, it becomes possible to justify never again seriously questioning or doubting those convictions, no matter how incontrovertible the evidence against them, thereby greatly minimizing the probability of ever having to experience the trauma and embarrassment of finding out and having to admit that any of those convictions might have been at least partially mistaken.

But surely, one might argue, "God could not possibly be Mistaken!" Maybe so, but this doesn't help at all, because though it may be impossible for God to be mistaken or lying, it is certainly not impossible that we fallible humans could be mistaken about being in possession of divine inspiration and revelation, or even about there being any such thing! Certainly the fact that no two of these "divinely revealed" religious belief systems entirely agree with each other, even on fundamentals, proves without reasonable doubt that there is no more unreliable claim than the claim of having received divine inspiration or revelation.

Admittedly, we, on our own, can often be mistaken or dishonest, but absolutely nothing more solidly establishes the truth of that fact than the abundant nonsense and numerous atrocities that we humans have perpetrated on each other in the guise of religion and in the very name of God! Indeed, it often seems that the more atrocious and nonsensical the claim, the more likely it is that some pious idiot will claim divine authority for it and threaten hell and damnation to anyone who dares to deny it!

Theologians and clergy are fond of warning us to "beware of the teachings of men", which isn't bad advice, because there certainly have been and still are numerous incompetent and/or dishonest human teachers, but it is very far from established beyond all reasonable doubt that there are or ever have been any teachings available to us that are not "of men."
Last edited by Gunnar on Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:36 am
Some Schmo wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:55 am

And honestly, The GOP is going to have to get a lot more secular before I'll ever vote for another Republican. This recent desire to do away with separation of church and state has never made me more vocal about my anti-religious stance. “F” people's religion and their idiotic ideas for the American public. You can “F” off and die a painful damned death. Screw you and your imaginary sky daddies. I hate your obvious B.S..
Removing separation of church and state should scare the heck out of any God believer. They have it exactly backwards.

They really don't care about religion. What they care about are the sweeping votes they expect that support their power, status, and wealth.

Anyone with flipping eyes can see that. Apparently many are sight impaired.

It is simply nauseating.
Agreed!
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:59 am
Oh, come ON! This whole thing reeks of a lame conspiracy theory. Donald Trump is hardly far-sighted enough to come up with a sweeping plan like this.
Maybe Trump himself isn't, but I don't think it unreasonable to conclude that many of his most prominent supporters and enablers have precisely that in mind, and see him as a useful idiot or tool to help accomplish it.
Nomomo
Priest

Post by Nomomo »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:59 am
Cheese & Rice Shades! Pay attention please! Then perhaps you will be less likely to make such an uninformed silly ass reply due to your shooting from the hip with your knee jerk reaction to a topic of which you have no knowledge.

No one is in any way claiming or even suggesting that Trump thought this stuff up! Where the hell did you get that from? That is an invention of your own mind. Of course Trump is not far-sighted enough to come up with sweeping plans like this. Nobody is suggesting that he is!

Project 2025 is a very real and concerted effort of dangerous plans that Project 2025 wants Trump to carry out for them! Read the wikipedia article about Project 2025 organization"s aims https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_2025, and then Google Project 2025 for other articles at "The Nation", "Salon". and "The Atlantic" All excellent sources which would inform you on this topic. Before you next reply to this thread you should have a clue about the topic being discussed.
I take this threat seriously. You should also.
Last edited by Nomomo on Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:32 pm, edited 7 times in total.