Shots fired…

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: Shots fired…

Post by Kishkumen »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:03 am
Thanks. I don’t think anyone was hurt. No clue as to motive for the shooting.
I am very relieved no one was hurt!
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

Glad you’re okay.I think for the most part, there is a mental health problem in our country that results in gun violence in many cases. Not sure how to fix it though.

About a year ago, I was at work when threats came in from a patient. I knew it was serious when our police officers brought out automatic weapons. The guy shot himself when law enforcement zeroed in on him at a nearby motel.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

msnobody wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:21 pm
. . . I think for the most part, there is a mental health problem in our country that results in gun violence in many cases. . .
Hmm. How about I fix that for you:
I think for the most part, there is a gun problem in our country that means that mental health problems result in fatal shootings in many cases.
Don't you think that's the right way round?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Chap wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:42 pm
msnobody wrote:
...I think for the most part, there is a mental health problem in our country that results in gun violence in many cases. . .
I think for the most part, there is a gun problem in our country that means that mental health problems result in fatal shootings in many cases.
The USA's approach to both guns and mental health is so abysmal that I'm not sure which way is the best way to put it. More and more I see these issues through the lens of harm reduction. As there is no constitutional right to abysmal mental health care, I think it makes sense to attack the mental health aspect of the gun violence problem, which which will have societal benefits that extend far beyond firearm injury and death.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

Chap wrote:
msnobody wrote:
. . . I think for the most part, there is a mental health problem in our country that results in gun violence in many cases. . .
No, I don’t.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:25 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:08 am

Naw, it was more weird than anything else. Our bookkeeper was in the lobby when it happened, and she seemed more incredulous than anything else. She hopped back on an elevator and brought another woman who was in the lobby up to our secured floor. The other woman seemed a little shell shocked.

It was nice to have a couple of beers with a friend to restore a sense of normalcy.

No vest needed. It was just a thang.
The other woman seemed a little shell shocked.

Poor choice of words there. 8-)
Or a great choice of words ;)
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Chap wrote:
msnobody wrote:
Maybe...

There's a mental health problem and a gun problem that coincide to result in shootings?
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

So glad I don't have to worry about guns.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:27 pm
There's a mental health problem and a gun problem that coincide to result in shootings?
Yup. But we know it is possible to do something by means of legislation to greatly lessen the chances that a person known to be mentally ill, or violent, or both can get access to high-capacity rapid-firing weapons. Lots of countries (apart from the USA) find that not to be a problem.

Significantly improving the mental health of a nation is a much, much more complex and difficult affair.

So is it not pretty obvious which of the two aspects of this problem offer the better prospect of (to turn a common expression round) "less bangs for your buck" (i.e. a significant reduction in shooting deaths for a reasonable investment of time and money?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Chap wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:29 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:27 pm
Yup. But we know it is possible to do something by means of legislation to greatly lessen the chances that a person known to be mentally ill, or violent, or both can get access to high-capacity rapid-firing weapons. Lots of countries (apart from the USA) find that not to be a problem.

Significantly improving the mental health of a nation is a much, much more complex and difficult affair.

So is it not pretty obvious which of the two aspects of this problem offer the better prospect of (to turn a common expression round) "less bangs for your buck" (i.e. a significant reduction in shooting deaths for a reasonable investment of time and money?
From a practical standpoint, I don't think passing the legislation you describe is as easy as it might appear. There is a sizeable percentage of American voters who will strenuously resist any attempt to restrict ownership of firearms. Some have substantial resources that they are willing to throw at any such attempt. Because our Supreme Court, in its infinite wisdom, has declared the second amendment to grant individual rights, any law restricting those rights has to run a constitutional gauntlet to stay enacted. And the person whose firearms rights are being restricted has a constitutional right to due process that can either bog down the process or create opportunities for the individual to evade the restriction while due process is being given. And, on top of that, there are so many of the damn things in circulation, it is easy for a person under such restrictions to obtain weapons illegally unless other restrictions are placed on their freedom.

On the other hand, I agree that improving mental health care is a much more complex task. But it will also have positive spillover effects that I think should be counted in the "bang" (or reduction in bang).

I don't know the answer, but after watching millions and millions of dollars go down the drain trying to attack the gun violence problem by restricting gun ownership, I'd like to see serious pursuit of other approaches.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.