Holiday Music Thread (assembly instructions included)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Holiday Music Thread (assembly instructions included)

Post by Jersey Girl »

Here it is. Friends this has been a challenging year for me to say the least. Sickness, storm recovery, basic upheaval, and I just came up for air on the heels of this art association thing I do this time of year. In the aftermath of all the aforementioned plagues, the homestead needs a good bulldozing. I would like to be able to open a thread here, just one thread, when I take a break and see something pleasant, nay, inspirational! No political debates. No religious debates. No smacking the other guy upside the head or ragging on anyone's choices. You know how we do.

So this is what we're gonna do. We're going to build a thread as follows:

1. Post links to your favorite holiday music on this thread from any genre'. Religious, popular, classic, rock, country, et cetera and et cetera. (That last bit is from The King and I in case you don't recognize it).

2. Holiday music defined as follows: Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's.

3. When you post a link please share with the class why it is one of your favorites or what it means to you.

4. Do not make snarky comments about the offerings of the friend sitting next to you. Remember what Thumper's mother said:

If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all

Got it?

You sure?

You read the 4 rules, right?

Help a girl out. Okay...go!

:mrgreen:

p.s. Be nice!
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:30 am, edited 6 times in total.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Holiday Music Thread (assembly instructions included)

Post by Jersey Girl »

You knew I had one ready, right?

Following is the first ever official music video of Brenda Lee's Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree. That's right. Miss Lee, now age 78, has come out with a music video some 65 years after she first recorded and made popular this well known Christmas rock song! Watch for a surprise cameo appearance!

Brenda Lee - Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree (Official Music Video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFsZy9t-qDc

Why this song: I heard it all my childhood and beyond. It brings back fond memories of learning to dance the jitterbug in our living room with family members. In my house, everyone danced except the family pets though I am sure they were my occasional dance partners! It makes me think of happier days in my growing up years before my family blew up and later of teaching my children to dance to it, too.

Enjoy!

Jersey Girl
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

I like the melody for Oh Holy Night. It's as Christmasy for me as it gets.

I also really like Happy Xmas (War is Over) by John Lennon.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Oh I like that one, Schmo! It's taken it's place with traditional holiday songs!

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Tim Minchin -- White Wine in the Sun
https://youtu.be/fCNvZqpa-7Q?si=FekWJu8fAnx_5AdT

When I was kid, we'd pack up the car and drive from the Pacific Northwest to the little town of Raymond, Alberta. We called it "going home for Christmas." It was all about family; so is this song. I get teary at the end.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

I could not make a holiday music thread without this.

Silver Bells - Kate Smith
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HjbU8m0aHw

Why: It was part of the background of my childhood Christmases and traditions. It reminds me of driving up to Newark to a store called Bamberger's (Bam's) to have my picture taken with Santa. Red and green lights on the Parkway going up. The streets were donned with light up garland strung up like Christmas buntings...bells and other large ornaments in the middle. Street lamps were wrapped the same way. Salvation Army bellringers (silver bells) stationed with their kettles near storefronts.

It's got every single image of that tradition.

And when I hear it, I can still hear my mother's voice singing it. I ( since I've gotten older) and one of my children have the same or voice so if I or both of us sing it...I get to hear Ma's voice again. It's one of my personal heart treasures.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Some Schmo wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:05 am
Schmo I have something for you. I love hammered dulcimer. I hope you like this version. :)

O Holy Night | Hammered Dulcimer Christmas Music by Joshua Messick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPZwTHxfDWw

Slava Ukraini!
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:03 pm
Some Schmo wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:05 am
Schmo I have something for you. I love hammered dulcimer. I hope you like this version. :)

O Holy Night | Hammered Dulcimer Christmas Music by Joshua Messick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPZwTHxfDWw
That was awesome. He's one talented percussionist.

Thanks for sharing!
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:59 pm

When I was kid, we'd pack up the car and drive from the Pacific Northwest to the little town of Raymond, Alberta. We called it "going home for Christmas." It was all about family; so is this song. I get teary at the end.
Some of the lyrics do call for introspection. It’s probably a topic for another thread; what it’s like for the non-believer looking in (into Christmas/Christmas celebrations).
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

msnobody wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:45 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:59 pm

Some of the lyrics do call for introspection. It’s probably a topic for another thread; what it’s like for the non-believer looking in (into Christmas/Christmas celebrations).
Agreed.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.