Marriage In Trouble?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gadianton
God

Re: Marriage In Trouble?

Post by Gadianton »

Ceeboo wrote:No, I meant what I said. She has cut off all contact with her parents (like a religious shunning)
Sure, but I was trying to line your story up with your original observation:
Ceeboo wrote:From my very limited view, I have seen countless examples of people that have simply stopped talking to other people (in real life, family, friends, social media, etc)
It wasn't clear to me if these countless examples were cutting out family + friends + social media, which would be quite extreme, or countless examples of cutting off people from this pool. In your relative's case it sounds like she's cut off certain family members, but not friends and social media relations outside the parents. Granted, this could also be considered extreme, but it would be more extreme if it were the whole list.

At least I'm clear on the scope now, she's cut off her parents and that includes her immediate family also cutting them off.
The result: When you stop speaking to each other, your relationship is damaged (at best) and at wort, it is terminated. She has lost her relationship with her parents - Her parents have lost their relationship with their daughter, and their grandkids
I agree that this would be the result.
Huh?
I asked if she was a big gamer -- you know, video games, especially online multi-player games. I can't read your mind. This was prior to your clarification to Canpakes. As an example, my left-wing friend's SO's niece(? I think) was staying at their house the day I arrived to stay a few days. I met her briefly. She was working from the room she stayed in, and had two computers set up, one for work and the other for games, which she played while working and then on into the evening and night. She's apparently married but separated, and if I understood correctly, in an online relationship with one of the guys in her adventurer group. It's not World of Warcraft but something like that.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Canpakes wrote:We’ve constructed a sort of political detente between the two of us, which is basically that we don’t try to talk about politics at all. It’s very difficult for him, because he has spent his entire life ‘othering’ non-conservatives as nameless, faceless entities with the sole aim of destroying the country, and he really does seem to like ‘the fight’ of political discussion.
Great story, Canpakes. Sounds like my anti-Trump forced-to-be Dem friend/acquaintance whose dad is an old-school rancher/businessman, and major Trump supporter. As the story goes, in recent years they were having breakfast at Dad's house and Dad was informing son once again about what a big communist he is and so son stood up and threw the breakfast table across the room and then they didn't talk for a year. Son had no problem leaving his inheritance on the table and walking. Somehow things got patched up; they're both tough guys so the incident itself wasn't a big deal. My friend says that all these ranch guys in Dad's orbit are right-wingers and ironically, they're all government-made millionaires from the subsidies they've taken over the years. I have to say though this friend breaks the mold of the neighborhood people I know in that he has no problem proactively bashing Trump rather than wait for the baiting, and so if I were to fairly score the situation I'd have to say he's partly at fault.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Not sure what the original post was looking for. I didn't read any politics in it. I wondered if it meant society as a whole. How people are more disconnected in the living world that before. But connected in other ways.

Kinda didn't understand. If it terms of America falling out with other countries, then I don't read too much into it because they sit in board rooms and plan their wars together. It's us trying to get by living in the world that suffer. They will sit and decide how many people they will allow the other side to kill. It's all bo!!ocks.

I've seen it in a job, the fake show for the media. I had to sit on a piece of equipment that wasn't a piece of equipment I was responsible for and pretend I was using it because a famous leader was taking a tour and needed to see that the site was being used, it was barely up and running. I think one person was actively using the place for research and he worked over in the other side. I felt like such a tit. It wasn't even switched on. Working there is when I realised what the world is being told is very different to what's actually going on. They were trying to bring academia and industry together but the red tape and beaurocracy was the discussion of every tech meeting. We couldn't do anything because industry and academia have different rules. So the solution, build another expensive ass building that will focus on industry but without the red tape. I don't work there now so not sure how it's all working out now. Both buildings should be up and running I expect.
High Spy
1st Quorum of 70

Post by High Spy »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:53 am
Not sure what the original post was looking for. I didn't read any politics in it. I wondered if it meant society as a whole. How people are more disconnected in the living world that before. But connected in other ways.

Kinda didn't understand. If it terms of America falling out with other countries, then I don't read too much into it because they sit in board rooms and plan their wars together. It's us trying to get by living in the world that suffer. They will sit and decide how many people they will allow the other side to kill. It's all bo!!ocks.

I've seen it in a job, the fake show for the media. I had to sit on a piece of equipment that wasn't a piece of equipment I was responsible for and pretend I was using it because a famous leader was taking a tour and needed to see that the site was being used, it was barely up and running. I think one person was actively using the place for research and he worked over in the other side. I felt like such a tit. It wasn't even switched on. Working there is when I realised what the world is being told is very different to what's actually going on. They were trying to bring academia and industry together but the red tape and beaurocracy was the discussion of every tech meeting. We couldn't do anything because industry and academia have different rules. So the solution, build another expensive ass building that will focus on industry but without the red tape. I don't work there now so not sure how it's all working out now. Both buildings should be up and running I expect.
This stuff happens all the time … the optics lie like a rug.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

High Spy wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:56 am
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:53 am

This stuff happens all the time … the optics lie like a rug.

It's crazy. And being asked to be a part of it was weird. I wondered if the visitors knew we were all pretending.