Marriage In Trouble?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
ceeboo
God

Marriage In Trouble?

Post by ceeboo »

Hey all,

When people in a marriage stop talking to each other, at best, the marriage is severely damaged. At worst, the marriage ends. With very few exceptions, I think this holds true concerning any form of human-to-human relationship. In my opinion, this would include human-to-human relationships within a shared country.

For the purposes of this thread, let us assume that we are all American citizens (for those of you who are not Americans, please feel free share your thoughts and/or to act as if you were American citizens).

From my very limited view, I have seen countless examples of people that have simply stopped talking to other people (in real life, family, friends, social media, etc). My desire for this thread is not to discuss the reason or reasons that people have stopped talking to one another, rather, I am hoping to hear your thoughts/perspectives about what has happened to America, if anything, because of this - And, what do you think will happen, if anything, if this continues?

The floor is yours.
ajax18
God

Re: Marriage In Trouble?

Post by ajax18 »

Talking about politics in America is contentious and dangerous. People's minds are made up and are not going to be changed. People have legitimate reasons not to trust the news media, fact checkers, or anything because it's all partisan. When Veritas tells me what that the Jews blew up a hospital, I don't believe him until proven otherwise.

I can see talking about it anonymously online if you're in the mood for herding cats. But we're not allowed to speak about it at church, at work, because it doesn't end well and benefits nobody. My rule is that I only speak about politics with people who agree with me and that's the rule I have for my kids. I'm actually more comfortable talking about religion than I am politics these days. It can be an uplifting experience when you agree just like going to church. But if you don't, don't dare bring up the subject, not at extended family dinnners or with anyone who disagrees with you, just the same as I wouldn't talk about my marriage woes with a woman. It's not going to end well and she's not capable of understanding.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Hey AJ
ajax18 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:30 pm
Talking about politics in America is contentious and dangerous. People's minds are made up and are not going to be changed. People have legitimate reasons not to trust the news media, fact checkers, or anything because it's all partisan. When Veritas tells me what that the Jews blew up a hospital, I don't believe him until proven otherwise.

I can see talking about it anonymously online if you're in the mood for herding cats. But we're not allowed to speak about it at church, at work, because it doesn't end well and benefits nobody. My rule is that I only speak about politics with people who agree with me and that's the rule I have for my kids. I'm actually more comfortable talking about religion than I am politics these days. It can be an uplifting experience when you agree just like going to church. But if you don't, don't dare bring up the subject, not at extended family dinnners or with anyone who disagrees with you, just the same as I wouldn't talk about my marriage woes with a woman. It's not going to end well and she's not capable of understanding.
Thanks for the reply.

If you don't mind, could you elaborate on the part I bolded? I am not understanding what you're saying when you say that "we're not allowed to".

Thanks!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

I will for sure have more to say on this but I'm about to run out. This here that you wrote:
When people in a marriage stop talking to each other, at best, the marriage is severely damaged.
Had me smiling a bit. I can't count how many times we've stopped talking to each other for long, long, long, looooooong periods of time and we've been married for decades. And I mean decades. Like a lot of decades.

I will discuss that and more, contribute my excellent insights to the discussion. I'm only kidding. I'll just post some thoughts. :lol:
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

ajax18 wrote:

Jesus Christ, who said anything about politics?
ajax18 wrote:
I wouldn't talk about my marriage woes with a woman. It's not going to end well and she's not capable of understanding.
nuff said.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

ceeboo wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:40 pm
Hey AJ
ajax18 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

If you don't mind, could you elaborate on the part I bolded? I am not understanding what you're saying when you say that "we're not allowed to".

Thanks!
We used to have presidential debates in history class when I was a kid. When I became a teacher the principal forbade it. I choose not to speak about politics with Democrat Mormons present because nothing good has come from it. And I'd imagine if I did give my opinion on politics I'd be reprimanded and rightfully so. If I offend Democrats who are there trying to repent and straighten out their lives then whether I'm right or wrong, I've slowed and frustrated the Lord's work.

Honestly we don't need more debate and discussion. That's been done ad nauseam. We need action. We need separate countries.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

I used to believe in the Don't go to bed angry rule. I don't now. It wasn't helping the situation. And I was going nuts by allowing her to emotionally torture me with silent treatment and threats of leaving. When I truly quit caring, she stopped doing it and things have been much better.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Not following Ceeboo on this:
Ceeboo wrote: I have seen countless examples of people that have simply stopped talking to other people (in real life, family, friends, social media, etc)
Can you give an example? I'm reading this as stop talking to people altogether. I can't say I've seen this at all.

The news on left and right reports people not talking about politics, families splitting up over politics, or the decline of friendships in men; and I've seen people check out of real life and spend all their time in cyberspace. That's the main thing I've seen is the substitution of online for real life. But seems like you're saying you've got homies who are cutting ties with everyone.

I can think of a couple guys at the top of the ladder in high tech whose lives are their jobs. And then in general, I think people are working longer hours, and with the rise of remote work apps like Slack and Teams, you're interacting with work people constantly at times and done with everyone by the end of the day.

But yeah, sounds like you're talking about something more extreme that I'm not picking up on.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

ceeboo wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:52 pm
My desire for this thread is not to discuss the reason or reasons that people have stopped talking to one another, rather, I am hoping to hear your thoughts/perspectives about what has happened to America, if anything, because of this - And, what do you think will happen, if anything, if this continues?

The floor is yours.
Hey ceebs,

I watched the movie version of Brigadoon this holiday with family and realized I'd completely forgot the main storyline. I'd vaguely recalled it being about a Scottish village that appeared for a day and then disappeared after, and Gene Kelly had to decide whether or not to stay there for true love.

I was shocked to realize how much of the movie I had missed or forgotten. I'd forgotten the reason it disappeared was because the priest has given his life in exchange for a deal with God to protect the village from witches heading it's way they were concerned would corrupt the people away from God. I'd forgotten that the weak antagonist in the movie was a guy who wanted to leave the village in order to go to university and do something other than be trapped in the village for eternity. That Gods deal was that if anyone left it then it would disappear, poof, with everyone in it being lost forever. That the antagonist was shot trying to escape on accident by the skeptical atheist foil to Gene Kelly because he was fed up with the village and just wanted to hunt which is why they'd gone to Scotland in the first place. And the village elders covered up the guy's death because that's how magic God-blessed villages do things. I'd forgotten how it portrayed New York City as the contrast to this perfect god protected oasis from time. Or that Gene Kelly basically made his decision after being around his true love for less than twelve hours.

What does that have to do with the OP? I don't know...
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

...just the same as I wouldn't talk about my marriage woes with a woman. It's not going to end well and she's not capable of understanding...
:roll: