Stop Demanding Dumb Answers to Hard Questions

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
ajax18
God

Re: Stop Demanding Dumb Answers to Hard Questions

Post by ajax18 »

I can only assume you now feel similarly about someone being President of a country
That obviously doesn't matter for Democrats, given Biden's history of plagiarizing during his previous presidential runs and even before his cognitive decline.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

ajax18 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:13 pm
I can only assume you now feel similarly about someone being President of a country
That obviously doesn't matter for Democrats, given Biden's history of plagiarizing during his previous presidential runs and even before his cognitive decline.
Maybe one day they'll share your newfound disdain for Presidents of organizations, churches, and countries who plagiarize. Either way, I imagine you no longer supporting Trump, or various people within the LDS Church's leadership, will come with some significant paradigm shifts.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:29 pm
ajax18 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:13 pm
Maybe one day they'll share your newfound disdain for Presidents of organizations, churches, and countries who plagiarize. Either way, I imagine you no longer supporting Trump, or various people within the LDS Church's leadership, will come with some significant paradigm shifts.
Who exactly in the lds leadership was plagiarizing? But you're right that it wouldn't put me into a faith crisis. My relationship with the Lord and His church remains the same. I've been listening to what they've been saying lately and it rings true to me and not near as painfully boring as it seemed 20 years ago. I'm glad my children are being raised with the values being taught there right now. That's all that matters to me. Science improves over time and so can the church in my opinion.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

ajax18 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:44 pm
Who exactly in the LDS leadership was plagiarizing?
The most recent example would be Elder David Bednar (ironically, once a college president), who plagiarized John Reid in the Oct 2022 General Conference. For added fun, the Church tried to cover for him by adding footnotes after the fact, and then claiming they had been there the whole time. Unfortunately, as is often the case, the Church forgot how the internet works and that timestamped internet archives and screenshots exist.

Some other more obvious and notable examples would be David O. McKay plagiarizing Benjamin Disraeli, and Ezra Taft Benson plagiarizing CS Lewis.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:07 pm
ajax18 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:44 pm
Who exactly in the LDS leadership was plagiarizing?
The most recent example would be Elder David Bednar (ironically, once a college president), who plagiarized John Reid in the Oct 2022 General Conference. For added fun, the Church tried to cover for him by adding footnotes after the fact, and then claiming they had been there the whole time. Unfortunately, as is often the case, the Church forgot how the internet works and that timestamped internet archives and screenshots exist.

Some other more obvious and notable examples would be David O. McKay plagiarizing Benjamin Disraeli, and Ezra Taft Benson plagiarizing CS Lewis.
Interesting examples, I was thinking of Paul Dunne who made up faith promoting stories. But yeah, this doesn't disprove Christ's gospel to me, not even close. Ever since I started believing again, I've been a lot healthier and happier, perhaps poorer but definitely more peace of mind.

And as Ben says, it's understandable that firing President Gay would be a bridge to far for Harvard and their DEI religion, regardless of what the donors say. I can understand that.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

ajax18 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:47 pm
Ever since I started believing again, I've been a lot healthier and happier, perhaps poorer but definitely more peace of mind.
I hope you are able to continue to find health and happiness, and the growth that comes with a mind relieved of the anxieties of daily life and the world. I'll never fully understand why some in my family believe, but there's certainly no denying that participation in the faith community generally brings them joy.
ajax18 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:47 pm
And as Ben says, it's understandable that firing President Gay would be a bridge to far for Harvard and their DEI religion, regardless of what the donors say. I can understand that.
The investigation into plagiarism and decision not to fire her was made by the Harvard Corporation. So, the problem here is with capitalism and the free market. ;)
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

but there's certainly no denying that participation in the faith community generally brings them joy.
Well honestly I never brought into the idea that living the gospel ever made me more happy in the moment, even though that is what President Nelson preaches. Perhaps it does for some people. For me it's the promises in eternity that make me happy right now. When I started believing these promises were real, I started loving God again.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:06 am
Vēritās wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:00 am
Yeah, sure. I think you derailed your own thread when you had a conniption fit over an innocuous post that you called an answer to a question, where neither and answer nor a question existed. When I pointed that out you whined about ad hominem after literally calling people stupid and mean, which makes me wonder if you even know what the word means.

Did you quote the wrong post when you responded the way you did with that idiotic "you deserve each other" remark? I'm guessing so. Again, Res Ipsa doing his thing again, attacking those who actually agree with him.
Continuing derail and personal attacks noted.
:?: :?: :?:

Despite following and enjoying this discussion, I am totally bewildered by the seeming escalation of animosity between you two! I number both of you guys among my favorite posters, and I don't see that you are nearly as much in disagreement with each other as you seem to think, nor do I see that either of you is more or less guilty of deliberate personal attacks against each other than the other. You both have strong opinions that occasionally are at odds with each other. There is nothing wrong with that, but I agree with Vēritās that you sometimes seem to be attacking him even when he says things upon which you two don't really entirely disagree. I just hope the occasional disagreements between you are more friendly and respectful than vindictive or unfairly judgmental.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

ajax18 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:39 pm
but there's certainly no denying that participation in the faith community generally brings them joy.
Well honestly I never brought into the idea that living the gospel ever made me more happy in the moment, even though that is what President Nelson preaches. Perhaps it does for some people. For me it's the promises in eternity that make me happy right now. When I started believing these promises were real, I started loving God again.
I think you misunderstand the post you replied to. Whoever wrote that is talking about the benefits of having a sense of community, not necessarily living the gospel as you believe it to be. Unless of course, you are thinking about fellowship as part of living the gospel. Then yes, that's the same thing.

Why didn't you love God before you considered eternal promises? I'm just curious. You don't need to answer if you'd rather not. I'm not trying to intentionally derail this thread.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:48 am
ajax18 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:39 pm
I think you misunderstand the post you replied to. Whoever wrote that is talking about the benefits of having a sense of community, not necessarily living the gospel as you believe it to be. Unless of course, you are thinking about fellowship as part of living the gospel. Then yes, that's the same thing.

Why didn't you love God before you considered eternal promises? I'm just curious. You don't need to answer if you'd rather not. I'm not trying to intentionally derail this thread.
Go ahead. This can now be an open thread.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.