2024 Election Campaign MEGATHREAD

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: 2024 Election Campaign Megathread

Post by Res Ipsa »

I liked this Substack piece titled Entering the Bitter Season. https://open.substack.com/pub/america/p ... medium=web The lede:
In the bitter, sub-zero cold of Iowa, the bitterest candidate made clear to anyone who’s paying attention what matters most to him. On Sunday before tonight’s GOP caucus, Donald Trump—who’s pledged for months he’s out for retribution against his enemies this year and every year that follows—said this to his rally audience in Indianola: “These caucuses are your personal chance to score the ultimate victory over all of the liars, cheaters, thugs, perverts, frauds, crooks, freaks, creeps and other quite nice people. The Washington swamp has done everything in its power to take away your voice. But tomorrow is your time to turn on them….”
This is the first purely vengeance campaign that I've seen in my lifetime. For all the comments about the effects of age on Biden, Trump is crazy. He lives in a fantasy world in which he simply makes up whatever he wants to be true. It cannot be said too many times how abnormal and bizarre his campaign is. And rather than back away from this insanity, the GOP is weaponizing it.

It's going to be a long, long year. As the article concludes:
Frankly, this willingness to overlook Trump’s degradations and desecrations by registered GOP voters from across the spectrum—people who refuse to take legitimate legal inquiries into his behavior seriously—makes this election season feel surreal. While much of the traditional political media is busy analyzing polls and assessing the candidates’ performances, they’re missing the real story. Trump is not really running for president: Rather, this criminal defendant is exploiting the political system to seek immunity, delay his trials until after the election and exact retribution against his enemies. This is not politics as usual, but fundamentally a crime story.

Yes, Trump is both a criminal defendant and a candidate for the nation’s highest office. That requires us to pay attention to the results in Iowa to remain informed. This dual track of Trump necessitates that we stay focused on how to keep him from succeeding at the ballot box. In fact, his abuse of our democratic and judicial systems—which is propelling his rise now—makes our responsibility more urgent than ever.

So let’s not get pulled into the horse race mentality that typically defines the presidential election season. While far too many of our fellow citizens refuse to accept the gravity of Trump’s legal and moral violations, I still believe we can make increasingly clear in the coming months how grim America’s future will be if Trump retakes the levers of power. The bitter, sub-zero cold of Iowa is a useful reminder of the cruel conditions that four more years of Donald Trump—and “beyond” as he ominously told an Iowa audience—portends.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Trump proves once again that it is him before the American people. They don't matter. He just said he hopes the economy crashed causing problems for the American people before the election. Why? Because he benefits.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/08/politics ... index.html
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

It's mind boggling to me that his sycophantic MAGA base still insists on supporting and voting for him even after he has openly declared that he wants the economy to crash solely in order to reduce and keep his opponent's poll ratings down, regardless of how much it will hurt the very people whose support he is seeking!
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Vēritās
God

2024 Election

Post by Vēritās »

Looks like Biden's latest poll numbers are looking bad... for Trump.

He's up 6 points over Trump nationwide, he's up 12 points over Trump with Independents and a whopping 22 points over Trump among women voters.

https://poll.qu.edu/poll-release?releaseid=3889
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Gunnar
God

Re: 2024 Election

Post by Gunnar »

Vēritās wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:42 pm
Looks like Biden's latest poll numbers are looking bad... for Trump.

He's up 6 points over Trump nationwide, he's up 12 points over Trump with Independents and a whopping 22 points over Trump among women voters.

https://poll.qu.edu/poll-release?releaseid=3889
I am encouraged by that but I still would rather see a younger and more progressive and more scientifically literate candidate than Biden running for President, like Sheldon Whitehouse, for example.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Who is Walter Monk?

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/politics/lo ... y/3455183/
Arlington man under investigation over fake A.I.-generated Biden robocalls, officials say
tl;dr - Walter Monk, a Texas man, did it. According to the article he was probably paid by a campaign.

Conclusion? Well. Obvious conclusion is obvious.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Re: Who is Walter Monk?

Post by Dr. Shades »

Arlington man under investigation over fake A.I.-generated Biden robocalls, officials say
Am I a bad person if I laughed at this?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Michael Fanone Hits 'Spineless' Matt Gaetz And Allies With The Facts About Jan. 6
Former D.C. Metropolitan Police Officer Michael Fanone slammed dozens of House Republicans led by Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) who on Tuesday introduced a resolution declaring Donald Trump did not engage in insurrection.

Fanone, who was violently assaulted by the former president’s supporters during the Jan. 6, 2021, attack, called for Gaetz and every supporter of the resolution to be held accountable for their lies and efforts to undermine democracy.

“This resolution is a slap in the face to those of us who almost lost everything defending the Capitol on January 6th, including protecting some of the very Members of Congress who are now attempting to rewrite history to exonerate former President Trump,” Fanone said in a statement via Courage for America, an anti-extremism group.
“But no piece of paper signed by a group of spineless extremists will ever change the facts about that dark day: the insurrection was violent, it was deadly and it will happen again if we do not expunge the MAGA ideology that stoked the flames of insurrection in the first place.”

Gaetz and 62 House Republicans signed on to the symbolic resolution which states that Trump “did not engage in insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or give aid or comfort to the enemies thereof.”

It serves to downplay Trump’s role in the deadly riot as courts and election officials weigh whether he is eligible to appear on various state ballots under the 14th Amendment of the Constitution.
Like it or not, Michael Fanone's take on the events of January 6, is far, far more credible than the egregiously false and pathologically dishonest resolution presented by Matt Gaetz et al, and is far better supported by abundant, easily available evidence, including the evidence witnessed by the very eyes of many millions of television viewers on that very day! To conclude otherwise is unequivocal proof of either severe cognizant impairment, willful ignorance and/or pathological dishonesty!
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Who is Walter Monk?

Dr. Shades wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:49 am
Am I a bad person if I laughed at this?
No? I don’t get why it’s funny to you, but you do you. As an aside, the FCC just declared A.I.-generated robocalls to be illegal. Thank, goodness. I hope they throw the book at entities who engage in that practice.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Trump finally correctly identifies the insurrection as an insurrection, with a twist!
”They kept saying about what I said right after the insurrection,” he said outside Mar-a-Lago after arguments concluded in Washington, D.C. “I think it was an insurrection caused by Nancy Pelosi.
- Rolling Stone

- Doc