Merry Christmas

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
High Spy
1st Quorum of 70

Re: Merry Christmas

Post by High Spy »

Chap wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:00 pm
High Spy wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 5:47 pm
Warning is one purpose of eclipses
Oh, right. I just thought it was the dull old business of the moon happening to pass over the line of sight to the sun of people on some rather narrow strip of the earth's surface.
https://www.biblestudytools.com/dictionaries/eastons-Bible-dictionary/eclipse.html wrote:
Eclipse [N]
of the sun alluded to in Amos 8:9 ; Micah 3:6 ; Zechariah 14:6 ; Joel 2:10 . Eclipses were regarded as tokens of God's anger ( Joel 3:15 ; Job 9:7 ). The darkness at the crucifixion has been ascribed to an eclipse ( Matthew 27:45 ); but on the other hand it is argued that the great intensity of darkness caused by an eclipse never lasts for more than six minutes, and this darkness lasted for three hours. Moreover, at the time of the Passover the moon was full, and therefore there could not be an eclipse of the sun, which is caused by an interposition of the moon between the sun and the earth.

These dictionary topics are from
M.G. Easton M.A., D.D., Illustrated Bible Dictionary, Third Edition,
published by Thomas Nelson, 1897. Public Domain, copy freely.
[N] indicates this entry was also found in Nave's Topical Bible
Not sure why the 24 eclipse keeps coming up like it did shortly after spy posted a tribute to MakerBees, saying to Buckle Up ❕

The silence in heaven isn’t expected to end any sooner than 2025. Maybe more information will be forthcoming.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

High Spy wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:44 am
Chap wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:00 pm
Oh, right. I just thought it was the dull old business of the moon happening to pass over the line of sight to the sun of people on some rather narrow strip of the earth's surface.
https://www.biblestudytools.com/dictionaries/eastons-Bible-dictionary/eclipse.html wrote:Eclipse [N]
of the sun alluded to in Amos 8:9 ; Micah 3:6 ; Zechariah 14:6 ; Joel 2:10 . Eclipses were regarded as tokens of God's anger ( Joel 3:15 ; Job 9:7 ). The darkness at the crucifixion has been ascribed to an eclipse ( Matthew 27:45 ); but on the other hand it is argued that the great intensity of darkness caused by an eclipse never lasts for more than six minutes, and this darkness lasted for three hours. Moreover, at the time of the Passover the moon was full, and therefore there could not be an eclipse of the sun, which is caused by an interposition of the moon between the sun and the earth.

[...]
Yup, in ancient times before people knew why eclipses of the sun and moon occurred, they often interpreted these striking events as being some kind of message from superhuman powers. That was the best they could do.

Here is an analogy. Some people (call them 'the X') who have never seen a mechanical clock are visited by some people from far away (call them 'the Y') who bring a great big grandfather clock with them. The X see that when the strange thing goes bong, once or several times, the Y do things like going to bed, cooking dinner, praying and so on. So the X conclude "Those noises are the voice of their deity, who tells them what to do and when to do it". But after a number of years, a little X girl gets friendly with a little Y girl, who opens the clock case and shows her all the wheels, how the descending clock weights make them turn, and even how the striking train of wheels makes the 'bongs' happen.

But when the little X girl runs off and tells her grandmother about her discovery, the grandmother tells her not to be disrespectful of her elders, who Know Best. The little girl persists, and after a few years, one of the elders concedes that yes, the wheels do make the bongs happen. BUT ... the Y people's deity made the wheels exactly the right size and shape to ensure that the bongs happened at the right moments when the Y deity wanted his worshippers to go to bed, cook dinner, pray and so on.

It's a bit like that nowadays. Few people who have had the chance to study the science will deny that since the time of Newton, we have been able to do calculations that will tell us, for instance, stuff like "Next month people in New York will see the moon passing between them and the sun for a few minutes on [this day] at [this time]; people in Florida won't see anything unusual'. And that's exactly how things turn out, every time. (By the way, Einstein makes very little difference in such cases). But somehow they still want to think that the ideas of ancient people who wrongly ascribed eclipses to divine action still have something to say that is of practical significance.

Aren't people strange?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Thank you for typing that, Chap. I like it a lot.

High Spy, what's your opinion of the story Chap wrote?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Gadianton wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:10 pm
Are the immigrants who are "poisoning the blood of our country" according to the man all conservative Christians plan to vote for next year, also allowed to have a Merry Christmas?
A beautiful Christmas message, of love, kindness, and celebration of the Savior's birth.

Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Guy is such a weirdo.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

huckelberry wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:30 am
Eclipse as warning?

There is a total solar eclipse about every 18 months somewhere in the world. They are only rare for any given spot. There has only been one in my lifetime where I live. I traveled to east central Oregon to see another. It was fun and a bit exciting to see.

In that they have been happening for millions of years the warning would be some thing basic. Your life is short so don't waste your time on foolish hopes and fears for the end of the world.
This one is supposed to last longer than usual. I believe eclipses affect the earth/people. I'm not sure it would be the heralding of the second coming though. I do believe it is taught that no one will know. :/
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

High Spy wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 5:47 pm
Warning is one purpose of eclipses.
Since we are able to tell when every eclipse is going to occur, what type of an eclipse it will be, how much of the sun and/or moon will be obstructed, and the specific regions of the earth where it will be visible from, years and years into the future, until the sun engulfs the earth...

It's kind of a weird warning system.

I wonder what, exactly, Southern Africa will be getting a warning for on June 11, 2096, when there's a total solar eclipse there. Better yet, what are the handful of penguins getting warned about in Antarctica in 2094?

Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

A beautiful Christmas message, of love, kindness, and celebration of the Savior's birth.
I'm sure that all those grandparents whose kids and grandkids don't talk to them over politics are more likely to pick up the phone having read this heartfelt Christmas message.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:06 pm
Gadianton wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:10 pm
Are the immigrants who are "poisoning the blood of our country" according to the man all conservative Christians plan to vote for next year, also allowed to have a Merry Christmas?

Wow! How can any reasonable person, whether MAGA or otherwise, fail to see what a hateful, disrespectful and hopelessly corrupt and dishonest individual Trump is?

Anyone not thoroughly disgusted with that message from Trump has got something seriously wrong with them!

Can any present or former Trump supporter -- even our own ajax -- still seriously consider voting again for Trump, knowing that he has posted something as deranged and hateful as that?
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.