Merry Christmas

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Re: Merry Christmas

Post by Bret Ripley »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:10 pm
canpakes wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:10 am
Only if you can’t time travel.
Which accounts for 100% of us.
But if we don't travel through time, a Merry Christmas is impossible because the 25th is always X days away. What makes our little corner of reality work is that we're all travelling through time at roughly the same pace, except perhaps for members of the Federalist Society.

Actually, is there anything that *doesn't* travel through time? How would we know? Now I've given myself a headache, so I'll go back to wishing everyone a "Merry Christmas," temporal implications be damned.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:15 pm
dantana wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:21 am
Merry Christmas ceeboo!

Another thing it's about to be in about 15 mins is winter solstice. One of my favorite minutes of the year.
For real. I love Winter solstice because we’ve passed the getting-dark-earlier-every-day thing.

- Doc
doc, I share your thought but not to be pedantic but I will share a puzzle I find curious. At my location 4:07 was sunset on December 8. It stayed that way a few days and started get a bit later on the 14th. Sunset for today will be 4:11. Trick is sunrise is still getting a bit later each morning so 21 is shortest sunlight.

I mention this because I have not been able to completely see the mechanics of this in my head. I suppose it is the angle of tilt of the axis relative to the sun. Maybe I have a mental block on the obvious.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:43 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:10 pm
Which accounts for 100% of us.
But if we don't travel through time, a Merry Christmas is impossible because the 25th is always X days away. What makes our little corner of reality work is that we're all travelling through time at roughly the same pace, except perhaps for members of the Federalist Society.

Actually, is there anything that *doesn't* travel through time? How would we know? Now I've given myself a headache, so I'll go back to wishing everyone a "Merry Christmas," temporal implications be damned.
:lol: Best answer ever.

(Although technically, when X=0, Christmas is possible, but it would have to be at the intersection of X=0 and Merry=True. The odds of that subset are exceedingly small as Merry is on a continuum, not a T/F choice, therefore T implies only 100% Mer...oh “F” it. Shut up, mathbrain!)

And Merry Christmas to you all!!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

huckelberry wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:52 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:15 pm
For real. I love Winter solstice because we’ve passed the getting-dark-earlier-every-day thing.

- Doc
doc, I share your thought but not to be pedantic but I will share a puzzle I find curious. At my location 4:07 was sunset on December 8. It stayed that way a few days and started get a bit later on the 14th. Sunset for today will be 4:11. Trick is sunrise is still getting a bit later each morning so 21 is shortest sunlight.

I mention this because I have not been able to completely see the mechanics of this in my head. I suppose it is the angle of tilt of the axis relative to the sun. Maybe I have a mental block on the obvious.
I can’t visualize it either, Huck, but that’s the way it works. The shortest day of the year does not have either the latest sunrise or the earliest sunset.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
High Spy
1st Quorum of 70

Post by High Spy »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:31 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:52 pm

I can’t visualize it either, Huck, but that’s the way it works. The shortest day of the year does not have either the latest sunrise or the earliest sunset.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equation_of_time

https://www.foxweather.com/learn/earlie ... r-solstice

There’s a couple of links that explains how minutes and seconds can differ depending on several variables. This may come into play with the top timing pattern shown at March8miracle.org

In 2020 spy observed the sun while watching time as defined by Central Standard Time and observed about a 20 minute difference. Today’s idea is that this may result as a difference from one year to the next. The exact time of my photo in 2002 wasn’t known, so the minute and second were surmised to fit with the rest of an obvious pattern. At least it was obvious to me, because of many past encounters on March 8 i.e. line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little.
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

High Spy wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:25 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:31 pm

... line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little.
4d65727279204368726973746d61732c204869676820537079

That's "Merry Christmas, High Spy" in hexadecimal. But that's not all: if you paste that into Google Translate it detects it as Arabic and translates it as "4 minutes."

(If that isn't a fitting Christmas gift for High Spy, then I'm no Santa.)
High Spy
1st Quorum of 70

Post by High Spy »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:11 am
High Spy wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:25 am
... line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little.
4d65727279204368726973746d61732c204869676820537079

That's "Merry Christmas, High Spy" in hexadecimal. But that's not all: if you paste that into Google Translate it detects it as Arabic and translates it as "4 minutes."

(If that isn't a fitting Christmas gift for High Spy, then I'm no Santa.)
Only one hit citing March 8, 2006 twice. 8-)

That March is when spy was drilling 299th RCS UTANG with a guy named Pratt that was born on March 8. 38 represents a tribute in the name of Christ. No 48 448 449 or 2448 warnings detected. This day 2011 is when BBND joined LDSFF soon after sending Chad Daybell a little book. :lol:
https://www.treasurydirect.gov/xml/r2006030701.xml wrote: This page contains the following errors:
error on line 1 at column 3260: Extra content at the end of the document
Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error.
 2006-03-06 2006-03-07 2006-03-08 2006-03-14 7.0 Y Y N N SINGLE PRICE 11:30 11:00 2450000000 35 35 3 21000 1000 1000 1000 1000 N Y 2006-03-08 
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

ceeboo wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:46 pm
Merry Christmas to all!

As we gather together with family and friends, let us take a moment to remember the many special people that are no longer with us. Also, let us take another moment to consider that the holiday season can be quite difficult and/or painful for some. Lastly, to my Christian brothers and sisters, please join me in praying that the Spirit might send a revival across the globe. Hugs to all and Merry Christmas.

Thanks, ceeboo. Same to you! Among the increase in general goodwill towards our fellow beings (slight though that seems sometimes) one of my favorite parts of the holiday season is the music and the caroling and getting to be one of the tenors in our community's annual Handel's Messiah concert and also as member of the local Master Chorale Group's two Christmas concerts that we perform each year. Associating and singing with these groups is one of the greatest pleasures of my life. This year, our Chorale group featured (along with English and American favorites) 3 traditional Scandinavian pieces from both Norway and Sweden, sung in their original language. They relied on me to translate the text for the written program, and help with the proper pronunciation. They were very appreciative of me for that help, we got standing ovations in both performances.

We also sang Schubert's Mass in B minor in the original Latin. I was one of the 3 tenors sharing the tenor solo part of the Benedictus movement.

The audience seemed to particularly like the son Fum, Fum, Fum. I linked to the Tabernacle Choir version of that song, and we had a piccolo player who played the piccolo solo every bit is beautifully as the one in the Tabernacle Choir rendition I linked to.

Unfortunately we had some technical issues when we tried to livestream our performance to YouTube. If you're interested you can see some of the second half or our program starting out here. I was disappointed at the sound quality and technical glitches. We should have had a technician who exclusively monitored the recording instead of one who was also one of the singers.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

thank you high spy for the lead, your second link had a further link which I found to be a clearer statement of what on contemplation is the same observation.

http://www.larry.denenberg.com/earliest-sunset.html
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Marcus wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:55 pm
Bret Ripley wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:43 pm

:lol: Best answer ever.

(Although technically, when X=0, Christmas is possible, but it would have to be at the intersection of X=0 and Merry=True. The odds of that subset are exceedingly small as Merry is on a continuum, not a T/F choice, therefore T implies only 100% Mer...oh “F” it. Shut up, mathbrain!)

And Merry Christmas to you all!!
To add to the fun - I’ve told my kids (with a wink), there really doesn’t seem to be a ‘tomorrow’, because when you think you’re there, it’s still ‘today’.

I want them to start tinkering with these things in their heads as early as possible. : )