The Nehor

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
ajax18
God

Re: The Nehor

Post by ajax18 »

is approximately on the same cognizant level as insisting that the world is flat and the center around which the rest of the universe rotates!
Moses probably believed that and yet He is a god now. We're here on earth to prove our ability to exercise a simple childlike faith and develop those kind of virtues, not to figure out the origin of the universe through physics. As difficult as this world can be, all you need is a simple faith in Christ to overcome it. Everybody has access to this faith but only a few will be able to shut out the voice of Satan which sayeth, "No you're wrong. You're an idiot. Christ never rose from the dead. We all cease to exist after death."
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Morley
God
Location: Gotta love this 1794 woodcut portrait by Toshusai Sharaku.

Post by Morley »

Ajax, I know I give you a hard time, but I'd seriously be interested in your answers.
ajax18 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:14 pm
Moses probably believed that and yet He is a god now.
This is the most frightening belief ascribed to Mormonism. That a fumbling mortal like Moses, David, or Joseph Smith could go instantly from human to deity is terrifying beyond description. Are these Gods--Joseph, Moses, and David--omnipotent?
ajax18 wrote:
We're here on earth to prove our ability to exercise a simple childlike faith and develop those kind of virtues, not to figure out the origin of the universe through physics. As difficult as this world can be, all you need is a simple faith in Christ to overcome it.
What are the virtues you're talking about? Maybe list some?
ajax18 wrote:
Everybody has access to this faith but only a few will be able to shut out the voice of Satan which sayeth, "No you're wrong. You're an idiot. Christ never rose from the dead. We all cease to exist after death."
Is it possible that it's not Satan you're hearing?
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Morley wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:16 pm
Ajax, I know I give you a hard time, but I'd seriously be interested in your answers.
ajax18 wrote: ↑Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:14 pm
Moses probably believed that and yet He is a god now.
This is the most frightening belief ascribed to Mormonism. That a fumbling mortal like Moses, David, or Joseph Smith could go instantly from human to deity is terrifying beyond description. Are these Gods--Joseph, Moses, and David--omnipotent?
Well, I'd rather say that whatever Mormons may mean by Smith and others being 'gods', the entity referred to appears to be something very different to what the immense majority of monotheists mean by that word.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

They are one with Christ now.

As President Nelson said in his awesome talk this conference, "Too many people live as though this life is all there is. They say, 'Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die.'"

What's his solution? Think Celestial. It's really that simple. But it requires faith.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

ajax18 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:48 pm
So, as Chap seems to suggest, not really a God in the sense of being an all powerful being, or in creating and destroying other worlds or people.

'One with Christ' doesn't seem much different than what's promised by the rest of Christianity. Or am I wrong?
ajax18 wrote:
As President Nelson said in his awesome talk this conference, "Too many people live as though this life is all there is. They say, 'Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die.'"

What's his solution? Think Celestial. It's really that simple. But it requires faith.
The only virtue you list is faith?

Edit to add: Almost no one's entire philosophy of life boils down to "eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow you die." That's a misrepresentation of the idea of living in the present.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Morley wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:40 pm
ajax18 wrote:
So, as Chap seems to suggest, not really a God in the sense of being an all powerful being, or in creating and destroying other worlds or people.

'One with Christ' doesn't seem much different than what's promised by the rest of Christianity. Or am I wrong?
ajax18 wrote:

The only virtue you list is faith?

Edit to add: Almost no one's entire philosophy of life boils down to "eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow you die." That's a misrepresentation of the idea of living in the present.
The only virtue for a Christian to concern himself with is living a Christ like life. That means simply loving God and loving your neighbor. in my opinion homosexuality and promiscuous heterosexual behavior are offensive to Jehovah, who I believe to be Jesus Christ. At the very least it demonstrates a lack of self mastery. The only thing I think that would offend him more is to teach young children that such behavior is normal and morally acceptable. For me, enduring what I endured through my mission and the sacrificies I made leading up to it, and then throwing all that away so that I could have sex with men, women or whoever and whatever I want whenever I want is just incomprehensible. Granted having sex with men makes me want to puke. But the natural man within still would like to have sex with as many women as possible. And yet I would never do that nor become that. It's not worth damaging my relationship with the Lord nor my eternal welfare. Nehor has a level of self mastery to overcome this easily. But his mind has been poisoned by the left and it has left him weak and faithless.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Unlike this world only those who have proven worthy of having children will have the means to do so in the next. There won't be gay people in Heaven. They will both have repented of their immorality and also been cured of the curse of a fallen mortal world we're all born into.
yellowstone123
1st Counselor

Post by yellowstone123 »

ajax18., that’s a lot of information.

I think you’re throwing Moses and Joseph Smith Jr. under the bus with the thoughts that the Mormonism of 2023 is true.

I like your thoughts about what it took and the sacrifices made for a mission.

What the Church prescribes as Celestial today may not be in 20 years. For me, telling the truth is far more important today than obedience. The truth first and then obedience will follow.
“one of the important things for anybody in power is to distinguish between what you have the right to do and what is right to do." Potter Stewart, associate justice of the Supreme Court - 1958 to 1981.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

I used to be a very believing Mormon. The first chapter of the Book of Moses includes God showing him all of creation and leaving him overwhelmed by the sheer immensity of it compared to which he sees his own nothingness. But he then repositions his perspective when Satan attempts to use that sense of ego deflation to get him to worship him in exchange for power. As a believing member, I found that chapter inspiring.

All that to say, Ajax doesn't know his own religion. The thirteenth article of faith is a list of virtues...

Anyway. Carry on.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

ajax18 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:32 am
Unlike this world only those who have proven worthy of having children will have the means to do so in the next. There won't be gay people in Heaven. They will both have repented of their immorality and also been cured of the curse of a fallen mortal world we're all born into.
I'm well aware of your views on same-sex attraction--I was curious about the 'becoming Gods' belief.

It reads like you measure procreation in the hereafter as the prime benefit of godhood. If that's the case, it seems like heaven is gong to be all about a contraction, rather than an expansion, of Earthy benefits. Most here on earth are afforded the opportunity to have sex--but in heaven, only you, and those like you, will be given the opportunity to do so. So, maybe becoming a god means getting to continue, on a grander scale, the things you did on Earth, all while stopping those other folks from enjoying the same pleasures. To put it awkwardly: It'll be a kind of a godly revenge agenda. Please let me know if I'm misrepresenting you.

On the possession of faith as being the prime virtue, I've always had a hard time seeing it. Faith, like hope, can be lead us astray as much as it can benefit. If I had to make a list, I'm not sure that I could honestly include it. As honor notes, it's not included in the list of virtues in the 13th of The Articles of Faith. Neither is noted among the cardinal virtues of either Aristotle or Christianity. Maybe the emphasis on faith as a virtue is a modern invention. I dunno.