Carol Kaye: The Greatest Studio Musician Who Ever Lived

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Nomomo
Priest

Carol Kaye: The Greatest Studio Musician Who Ever Lived

Post by Nomomo »

Carol Kaye is the greatest studio musician who has ever lived on this planet! Some of you may not know who she is, but nonetheless you have heard her on thousands of recordings and many hundreds of hit records. If you don't know who Carol Kaye is, then you need to find out who she is and bone up on this amazing woman's 65 year career.

Jersey Girl
God

Re: Carol Kaye: The Greatest Studio Musician Who Ever Lived

Post by Jersey Girl »

Don't give me standing orders. Give me a link to a sample of her music.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Nomomo
Priest

Post by Nomomo »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:29 pm
Talk about lazy. Have you heard of Google or Wikipedia? These Boots are Made for Walking - The Beat Goes On - Mission Impossible - and about 10,000 other recordings. Her baselines are the major contributing memorable factor in being responsible for many hundreds of Hits. You haven't seen The Wrecking Crew film (2008) evidently.. Carol Kaye is the most recorded studio musician in history. 10,000 recordings is not an exaggeration. More memorable bass lines that you have heard in your lifetime were created by and played by Carol Kaye whether you knew it or not than any other musician. The bass lines that she created (composed) and played in her studio sessions were what created the hits.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Nomomo wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:42 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:29 pm
Talk about lazy. Have you heard of Google or Wikipedia?
Talk about lazy. Have you heard of posting a link?

Nomomo, it's both board tradition and basic etiquette that the original poster does all the "heavy lifting." Make it easy for your readers to converse with you, not more difficult.
These Boots are Made for Walking - The Beat Goes On - Mission Impossible - and about 10,000 other recordings. Her baselines are the major contributing memorable factor in being responsible for many hundreds of Hits. You haven't seen The Wrecking Crew film (2008) evidently.. Carol Kaye is the most recorded studio musician in history. 10,000 recordings is not an exaggeration. More memorable bass lines that you have heard in your lifetime were created by and played by Carol Kaye whether you knew it or not than any other musician. The bass lines that she created (composed) and played in her studio sessions were what created the hits.
You see that? THAT is the information that needs to be in your opening post, not "If you don't know who Carol Kaye is, then you need to find out who she is and bone up on this amazing woman's 65 year career."
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Nomomo wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:49 pm
... If you don't know who Carol Kaye is, then you need to find out who she is and bone up on this amazing woman's 65 year career. ...
No I don't.

I'll take your word for the fact that she is good at what she does, but then so are lots of other people whose work in no way touches on anything that interests me.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I recall the amazement I felt when I first learned of Carol Kaye. It took some time for me to piece together just how much recordings can be practically crowd-sourced efforts. I watch and listen to “Sonic Talk” a sonicstate.com podcast, and occasionally the contributors talk about their input on various records. Had I not dipped my toe in this world, I would be none the wiser. Often the name on the record is literally the tip of the iceberg of talent and work that goes into the contents.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

I am guilty of letting base lines flow through my hearing only semi consciously. Yet they are very important to the sound of popular music. It is interesting that one person would have such a large role there. I think Paul of the Beatles was able to handle the role for his group.
Nomomo
Priest

Post by Nomomo »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:42 am
Nomomo wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:42 pm
Talk about lazy. Have you heard of Google or Wikipedia?
Talk about lazy. Have you heard of posting a link?

Nomomo, it's both board tradition and basic etiquette that the original poster does all the "heavy lifting." Make it easy for your readers to converse with you, not more difficult.
These Boots are Made for Walking - The Beat Goes On - Mission Impossible - and about 10,000 other recordings. Her baselines are the major contributing memorable factor in being responsible for many hundreds of Hits. You haven't seen The Wrecking Crew film (2008) evidently.. Carol Kaye is the most recorded studio musician in history. 10,000 recordings is not an exaggeration. More memorable bass lines that you have heard in your lifetime were created by and played by Carol Kaye whether you knew it or not than any other musician. The bass lines that she created (composed) and played in her studio sessions were what created the hits.
You see that? THAT is the information that needs to be in your opening post, not "If you don't know who Carol Kaye is, then you need to find out who she is and bone up on this amazing woman's 65 year career."
Guilty as charged.
Nomomo
Priest

Post by Nomomo »

Chap wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:31 pm
Nomomo wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:49 pm
... If you don't know who Carol Kaye is, then you need to find out who she is and bone up on this amazing woman's 65 year career. ...
No I don't.

I'll take your word for the fact that she is good at what she does, but then so are lots of other people whose work in no way touches on anything that interests me.
So.... the fascinating career of "The First Lady of Bass" in her 10,000 recordings doesn't interest you at all? Your loss. Evidently music and the musicians product and careers are not worthy of your interest,. Got it. As I said, Your loss. Your lack of interest in music and the musicians who created it is acknowledged. The greatest studio studio musician who played electric bass that ever lived is an uninteresting topic to you. Sad.
Last edited by Nomomo on Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nomomo
Priest

Post by Nomomo »

huckelberry wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:34 pm
I am guilty of letting base lines flow through my hearing only semi consciously. Yet they are very important to the sound of popular music. It is interesting that one person would have such a large role there. I think Paul of the Beatles was able to handle the role for his group.
Yes, McCartney did an excellent, if not perfect job on the Beatles songs he played bass on! The difference is that Carol Kaye could turn a mediocre run of the mill song that she had never heard before entering the studio into a hit with the memorable bass lines that she composed for the songs she played (uncredited) on in the studio. McCartney, Felix Pappalardi. Jack Bruce, etc. were excellent on bass and deserving of our admiration, but no one can touch upon Carol Kaye's creative talents when it comes to creating/composing lines that made what were otherwise not originally particularly remarkable songs into hits.