Inflation? What inflation?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor Steuss
God

Re: Inflation? What inflation?

Post by Doctor Steuss »

In fact according to Ben Shapiro, if government spending were to go away (and say be put toward paying interest on the national debt) we would actually see economic contraction or negative growth.
For fun:

FY / Federal Spending / GDP

2020 / $7.73T / $25.12T
2021 / $7.63T / $25.67T
2022 / $6.49T / $26.18T
2023 / $6.13T / $26.97T

Cliff Notes: Under Biden, every single year federal spending has decreased, and GDP has increased. By Ben Shapiro's own metric, the current economy is on fire, and absolutely killing it.

Combined with the previously pointed out fact regarding SNAP under Trump vs. Biden, and border enforcement under Trump vs. Biden, we once again find the clear choice for true conservatives is Biden.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ajax18 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:31 pm
yellowstone123 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:43 pm
I’ve noticed fast food has gone down. Grocery stores continue to gouge us.
Why didn't grocery stores gouge us when Trump was president?
Did we not have some crazy price action during the Trump years? Lemme check …

:: insert clickity keyboard sounds ::

From an article in July, 2020:

“In the last 12 months, food prices at grocery stores have risen 5.6 percent – the largest annual increase in nearly a decade. The severity of price increases vary drastically depending on the product; beef prices, for instance are 25 percent higher than they were a year ago, while those for fruits and vegetables are just 2.3 percent higher.”

https://nfu.org/2020/07/22/how-has-the- ... od-prices/

Remember, ajax, there’s this thing called the internet, where stuff like this can be looked up.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

ajax18 wrote:
canpakes wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:03 pm

“In the last 12 months, food prices at grocery stores have risen 5.6 percent – the largest annual increase in nearly a decade. The severity of price increases vary drastically depending on the product; beef prices, for instance are 25 percent higher than they were a year ago, while those for fruits and vegetables are just 2.3 percent higher.”

So ajax18 - do you agree that grocery stores did "gouge" their customers while Trump was President? If you don't agree. please say so.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Ajax is an infant with no factual grasp on economics.

Speaking of which:

https://www.axios.com/2024/01/10/wealth ... ock-market
About 93% of U.S. households' stock market wealth is held by the top 10%.
So, if “In the last 10 years, the S&P 500 gained 155%, and the tech-heavy Nasdaq rose a whopping 250%” does that translate to you and I filling up our gas tanks? I mean, I have an S&P index fund, but I’m the only regular Joe I’ve ever met that does. It’s essentially a thing that is conceptually out of reach for everyone. It’s also another indicator that most people are feeling left behind in this system.

Maybe now that Bitcoin has been given the nod by the SEC, more Americans can, well, do that.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Chap wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:29 am
ajax18 wrote:
canpakes wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:03 pm

So ajax18 - do you agree that grocery stores did "gouge" their customers while Trump was President? If you don't agree. please say so.
The scamdemic had already been going on for 6 months in July of 2020. You'd have to show me an example of grocery store and petroleum company price gouging before the global scamdemic. Trump pretty much lost control to China, Pelosi, and the globalist oligarchs by March of 2020. And I remember all too well how they used COVID to do it.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

ajax18 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:17 pm
Chap wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:29 am
The scamdemic had already been going on for 6 months in July of 2020. You'd have to show me an example of grocery store and petroleum company price gouging before the global scamdemic.
You mean, like gas prices skyrocketing over 31% in less than 2 months in 2019? Or the monthly increases in the Consumer Price Index doubling** the first two years of Trump's presidency compared to the last 4 years of Obama?

[This Space Reserved For New Goal Post Location]

**In 2018, they tripled for a few months, for the classification of "Urban Wage Earners" compared to what the increases were like under Barrack HUSSEIN Obama.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:35 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:09 pm
No, GDP does not include welfare payments. https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answer ... lation.asp

It took literally seconds to fact check you.
While GDP also considers government spending, it does not include transfers such as Social Security payments.
I often lump most government spending under welfare, so I agree with your point. But GDP still doesn't mean what most of us think it means. The government spending taxpayer money doesn't seem to be congruent with something of actual value being created by workers. In fact according to Ben Shapiro, if government spending were to go away (and say be put toward paying interest on the national debt) we would actually see economic contraction or negative growth.
Well, if you are going to claim that "up" is "down," I guess you can claim anything you want.

Your claim shows that you don't understand what GDP means. GDP is the total value of goods and services produced. Goods produced are goods produced, whether produced by private parties or the government. Services are services, whether provided by private or public employers. The fact that you don't like government expenditures has nothing to do with GDP.

Shapiro is correct: our economy would crash without government spending. What does that tell you about the private market's ability to provide a decent living for the populace?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ajax18 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:17 pm
The scamdemic had already been going on for 6 months in July of 2020. You'd have to show me an example of grocery store and petroleum company price gouging before the global scamdemic. Trump pretty much lost control to China, Pelosi, and the globalist oligarchs by March of 2020. And I remember all too well how they used COVID to do it.
Well, if that’s the story you’re sticking with, then it would seem that Trump was a woefully inadequate ‘leader’ who could be outsmarted by just about everyone.

And it turns out that he was hiring illegals at his properties, and that his border wall - besides being an effective mechanism of moving your tax dollars from your pocket and into the bank accounts of his contractor friends - can be cut through on the daily with a sawzall.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.