Inflation? What inflation?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
huckelberry
God

Re: Inflation? What inflation?

Post by huckelberry »

Vēritās wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:32 pm
And yes, gasoline is now cheaper than it was during Trump's second year in office, even if you don't adjust for inflation. But FOX and MAGA morons will still bring it up as if Trump did something to reduce energy costs. Last week it was $2.39 at Sams/Costco, and the EV revolution driven by Left Wing politics has had a noticeable affect on reduced demand for gas which in turn, benefits those who pay for gas.
Veritas, I do not wish to disagree with your comments here as a whole. Emotionally I cannot help but complain on one point. Gasoline is currently priced 4.79 a gallon in my neighborhood. That price is down a little but not down by very much.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

huckelberry wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:06 pm
Vēritās wrote:
And yes, gasoline is now cheaper than it was during Trump's second year in office, even if you don't adjust for inflation. But FOX and MAGA morons will still bring it up as if Trump did something to reduce energy costs. Last week it was $2.39 at Sams/Costco, and the EV revolution driven by Left Wing politics has had a noticeable affect on reduced demand for gas which in turn, benefits those who pay for gas.
Veritas, I do not wish to disagree with your comments here as a whole. Emotionally I cannot help but complain on one point. Gasoline is currently priced 4.79 a gallon in my neighborhood. That price is down a little but not down by very much.
It obviously depends a lot on where one lives and where one buys it. California tends to have the highest average gasoline prices in the nation, yet the local Sam's Club price today is $3.74 and 9/10 for regular and $4.09 and 9/10 for premium. Definitely lower than the price you cited in your neighborhood. We have seen rather dramatic price decreases here my Central Valley community in California.

edited to correct typo. Premium should have been $4.09, not $4.90
Last edited by Gunnar on Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

huckelberry wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:06 pm
Vēritās wrote:
That's an issue of geography more than anything else. The reason gas is more expensive on the west coast is because they are separated from the rest of the country by the Rocky Mountains which means their supply lines run north and south instead of from every direction like most other states. Their refineries import crude oil frequently from Russia and China because it is easier to get, but more expensive to the consumer. And then you have higher taxes, and the fact that California refineries are few, and the entire west coast depends on them so the risks are more localized whenever one refinery experiences an issue it causes prices to spike.

At the end of 2018 national gasoline price averaged $2.89 per gallon which is higher than what it is selling for in many states.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

I wonder how many of these stickers:

the Maagats are throwing away these days?

$2.79 in my neck of the woods, by the way.

- Doc

PS - Obviously I understand the President has little to do with gas prices, but we’ll never get a Maggat to admit they knew that when they were plastering those stickers on gas pumps.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:53 pm
I wonder how many of these stickers:

the Maagats are throwing away these days?

$2.79 in my neck of the woods, by the way.

- Doc

PS - Obviously I understand the President has little to do with gas prices, but we’ll never get a Maggat to admit they knew that when they were plastering those stickers on gas pumps.
What was the price of a gallon of gasoline when Biden legally stole the election in Nov. 2020 in your neck of the woods?
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
yellowstone123
1st Counselor

Post by yellowstone123 »

I’ve noticed fast food has gone down. Grocery stores continue to gouge us.
“one of the important things for anybody in power is to distinguish between what you have the right to do and what is right to do." Potter Stewart, associate justice of the Supreme Court - 1958 to 1981.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:17 am
GDP numbers actually count welfare checks as part of GDP. This is one reason the numbers don't line up with real lived experience. Spam might cost what steak did in 2019, but you don't have to read Breitbart to figure that out. In fact I'd say there are people who have never even seen a conservative pundit who know/believe that things are more expensive than they were 4 years ago.

Are you still flipping homes Veritas? Is that 7.5% interest on a refinance just a right wing conspiracy theory?
No, GDP does not include welfare payments.

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answer ... lation.asp

It took literally seconds to fact check you.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

yellowstone123 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:43 pm
I’ve noticed fast food has gone down. Grocery stores continue to gouge us.
Why didn't grocery stores gouge us when Trump was president?
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:09 pm
ajax18 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:17 am
GDP numbers actually count welfare checks as part of GDP. This is one reason the numbers don't line up with real lived experience. Spam might cost what steak did in 2019, but you don't have to read Breitbart to figure that out. In fact I'd say there are people who have never even seen a conservative pundit who know/believe that things are more expensive than they were 4 years ago.

Are you still flipping homes Veritas? Is that 7.5% interest on a refinance just a right wing conspiracy theory?
No, GDP does not include welfare payments.

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answer ... lation.asp

It took literally seconds to fact check you.
While GDP also considers government spending, it does not include transfers such as Social Security payments.
I often lump most government spending under welfare, so I agree with your point. But GDP still doesn't mean what most of us think it means. The government spending taxpayer money doesn't seem to be congruent with something of actual value being created by workers. In fact according to Ben Shapiro, if government spending were to go away (and say be put toward paying interest on the national debt) we would actually see economic contraction or negative growth.