Welp. That's it.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Vēritās
God

Welp. That's it.

Post by Vēritās »

I'm done with college football. NIL has turned the sport into something I don't even recognize anymore.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Re: Welp. That's it.

Post by Dr. Shades »

How different can it possibly be? The rules are still the same, aren’t they?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Imagine trying to coach a college football team but only a select few players get paid, and they get paid regardless of performance. Not only do they get paid, but they get paid A LOT. Most of them are in the six figure range but some get paid millions, and then they can take that money and without any legal repercussions, renege on their commitment to the team and just transfer out to another team that promises them more money. Most of these kids going into the NFL draft these days are already millionaires.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Vēritās wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:16 pm
Imagine trying to coach a college football team but only a select few players get paid, and they get paid regardless of performance. Not only do they get paid, but they get paid A LOT. Most of them are in the six figure range but some get paid millions, and then they can take that money and without any legal repercussions, renege on their commitment to the team and just transfer out to another team that promises them more money. Most of these kids going into the NFL draft these days are already millionaires.
Image a sophomore or junior Rosebud pulling 1200 yds, and telling the coach he ‘wants to renegotiate his contract’, and then he bounced because your rival dropped $500k and a truck on him (metaphorically for Dr. Shades).

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Welp m or n (plural welpen, diminutive welpje n)

Whelp, young mammal of certain carnivorous species, notably canine pup, bear - or lion cub
Human youngster, especially of age group 8-11 in boy scouts

This is the meaning that my mind connects to but welp clearly means something different here. Perhaps my confusion is an age thing.

Ok veritas I admit this is not the first time I encountered the word use in the way you have here. Ok.

I may be making excuses for my not having noticed the change in college football. Huskies are cross state rivals for my location. I should have felt worse for their final loss but there was also a little shadow of indifference for me.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

The NIL is getting a little crazy. Colorado’s quarterback, Shadeur Sanders is reportedly making 10 million dollars in NIL money this season. That’s three times the average salary of an NFL player.

https://Twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/stat ... ation-n%2F

Colorado’s cornerback, Travis Hunter is reportedly making 6.5 million this year in NIL deals.

The floodgates have opened. There is no turning back. In the next 10 years you will see college football stars signing NIL deals worth close to 100 million.

It’s a good thing the Church has been hoarding so much money. They are going to need it if they want BYU football to compete.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:33 am
The NIL is getting a little crazy. Colorado’s quarterback, Shadeur Sanders is reportedly making 10 million dollars in NIL money this season. That’s three times the average salary of an NFL player.

Colorado’s cornerback, Travis Hunter is reportedly making 6.5 million this year in NIL deals.

The floodgates have opened. There is no turning back. In the next 10 years you will see college football stars signing NIL deals worth close to 100 million.

It’s a good thing the Church has been hoarding so much money. They are going to need it if they want BYU football to compete.
The backup QB at Texas is Arch Manning, and he's at $2.8 million already.

The backup QB.

The starting QB makes $1.7 million.

https://www.on3.com/nil/rankings/player/nil-100/
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Vēritās wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:48 am
Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:33 am

The backup QB at Texas is Arch Manning, and he's at $2.8 million already.

The backup QB.

The starting QB makes $1.7 million.

https://www.on3.com/nil/rankings/player/nil-100/
Good Lord!! Only in America…..
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

German universities don’t have sports teams.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

What's a cornerback?
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!