If Trump WAS Sent by God...

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
msnobody
Prophet

Re: If Trump WAS Sent by God...

Post by msnobody »

One person says there is a God, another says there is no God. One or the other is wrong.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

msnobody wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:55 am
One person says there is a God, another says there is no God. One or the other is wrong.
And yet neither can conclusively prove their position is correct. The fact both can exist illustrates the problem with declaring the absolute truth of the matter is accessible.

Instead, we are left to examine the claims and evidence, and compare them to what we can access.

Is there a god? I don't know. I DO know the claims behind the Judeo-Christian god are in conflict with a myriad of evidence. Often this is dismissed as insignificant compared to a person's certitude about the existence of said God. The certitude is independent of the honest examination of the evidence.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

msnobody wrote:
One person says there is a God, another says she disagrees. I haven't heard that many people declare there is no god, likely because that's just as baseless as saying there is one.

There's a huge difference between asserting there's no god and disagreeing with the numerous god concepts. I suspect you disagree with the idea of Zeus and Thor being real. If so, you have an idea of how people like me view the god of the Bible.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Some Schmo wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:28 pm
msnobody wrote:
One person says there is a God, another says she disagrees. I haven't heard that many people declare there is no god, likely because that's just as baseless as saying there is one.

There's a huge difference between asserting there's no god and disagreeing with the numerous god concepts. I suspect you disagree with the idea of Zeus and Thor being real. If so, you have an idea of how people like me view the god of the Bible.
That's a valid point. There is indeed a lot of difference between pointing out the conflicts between provable reality, sound reason, inconsistencies of and the claims of particular god concepts (including the Judeo/Christian/Islamic concepts of God) and dogmatically denying that there can be any such as a being or entity that deserves the appellation "God." I can't say with absolute certainty that there is not or cannot be any such thing as a god. All I know for certain is that no concept of God I have yet heard of really makes sense or rings true to me. Being an atheist does not necessarily mean insisting that there can be no god of any kind. It is just an acknowledgement that one has not yet found (or no longer finds) any compelling or satisfactory justification for believing in one.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.