If Trump WAS Sent by God...

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Re: If Trump WAS Sent by God...

Post by Dr. Shades »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:19 pm
Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. - Albert Einstein
That was Jesus Christ, not Albert Einstein.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:34 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. - Albert Einstein
Dr C may have been joking?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Chap wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:19 pm
What was the punch line?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:34 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
No it wasn’t!

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Morley
God
Location: Gotta love this 1794 woodcut portrait by Toshusai Sharaku.

Post by Morley »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:40 pm
Chap wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:19 pm
What was the punch line?
The punchline was when you corrected Doc Cam. You walked right into it.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Morley wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:58 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:40 pm
What was the punch line?
The punchline was when you corrected Doc Cam. You walked right into it.
Ah, Dr. Shades, humor's great foe,

Our punchlines always fall too low!

With a perplexed frown,

He just can't get down,

To where laughter's merry winds blow.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:20 am
No. Just no.

He's posted A.I. fake images of himself praying.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattnovak/ ... cf94c171f6

https://Twitter.com/billdmccarthy/statu ... 9112626653
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

I thought a couple of posts from other thread fit here and were interesting enough to repeat.
hauslern wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:01 pm
Ben Carson who is a GOP supporter spoke about comparing Trump to King David. A biblcal scholar, Samuel Adams, commented:

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/01/19/opin ... index.html

"Let’s unpack that comparison.

The David we meet in the Bible can be a ruthless figure who cuts corners and eliminates opponents to get what he wants. He sends Uriah the Hittite to his death so that he can have Bathsheba, and this is only the most famous example of the king’s blatant disregard for women (David has many other wives and mistresses). Like a mob boss, David demands money from a sheep farmer and takes his wife. When his son, Solomon, becomes king, David advises him to kill any rivals."
Chap wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:12 pm
Physics Guy wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:11 pm
The first time I read that I thought David sounded just like a mob boss, asking his son to take revenge on old enemies. It's stuck in my mind ever since as an example of the kind of thing that people don't remember from the Bible.
You are not alone. It is clear that in his day not everybody was delighted to see this former bandit and mercenary gallant young hero become king. There is an excellent discussion by "sethlsanders" of the job of whitewashing that was done, here:

Dispelling the Darkness around the Bandit King
David was successful at building a kingdom and suppressing enemies of that kingdom. He of course is given a certain position of honor as a result. How ruthless was he in that process? As Chap's link shows, even with the rose-colored apologetics in Samuel notes of ruthlessness show through.

My review of history says that nation building has almost always involved some aspects of ruthlessness. There are conflicts and division to deal with somehow. It's a bad business but one with poor alternatives. With no strong government you have fights on all sides, robbery, and little coherent law enforcement. I am not going to judge David. Nor will I claim he is ideal.

But why make a comparison to Trump? He is not nation building; he is not consolidating social order. He has sinned and David sinned but so has everybody else. Why not compare Trump to King Ahab or Saul if you want to be more positive? There are other kings, some as unqualified as Trump.

I found that discussion of much of the material in Samuel as royal apologetic to counter suspicions and resentments that were held by some people then to be an interesting observation and one that suggests a proximate reality as history for the story.
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

A really gruesome book in the Bible is Judges, which concludes barbaric episodes with the remark that in those days there was no king in Israel, and everyone just did whatever they thought was right. I think it’s easier to be libertarian if you haven’t experienced anarchy.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
hauslern
Bishop

Post by hauslern »

Psalm 10:2-7, New International Version:

2 In his arrogance the wicked man hunts down the weak,
who are caught in the schemes he devises.
3 He boasts about the cravings of his heart;
he blesses the greedy and reviles the Lord.

4 In his pride the wicked man does not seek him;
in all his thoughts there is no room for God.
5 His ways are always prosperous;
your laws are rejected by[a] him;
he sneers at all his enemies.
6 He says to himself, “Nothing will ever shake me.”
He swears, “No one will ever do me harm.”
7 His mouth is full of lies and threats;
trouble and evil are under his tongue