A Billionaire Who Makes Sense

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gadianton
God

Re: A Billionaire Who Makes Sense

Post by Gadianton »

The RINOs and Democrats wouldn't even allow us to build our own wall.
Sure. So what you're saying is, even if a person wants the government to do something and is willing to pay for it, there are other factors that may prevent the ends from being realized?

In other words, when you keep telling billionaires to pay more taxes if they want government to do something, or me or others on the forum to pay more taxes, the fact that we don't might have something to do with factors aside from money that would keep the ends from being achieved?

It seems that you have no problem with taxes in principle, so long as the taxes go towards things you think are important. It may come as a shock, but that's pretty much how everyone feels.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

https://news.yahoo.com/goofy-gods-army- ... 18391.html
The “God’s Army” convoy was supposed to be a mighty force of 700,000 or more people from every corner of America. It wound up being maybe a couple hundred vehicles parked at a rural ranch in Quemado, Texas – basically…
Some actually visited the border in nearby Eagle Pass, Texas, and were surprised to not witness the invasion they had been promised.

Convoy-goer Misty Gregory told MSNBC: “It’s not what I expected, but then again I don’t know what I expected. I can tell you it’s not as bad as what I thought, so that’s kind of eye-opening in itself.”
I’ve report after report where NOT ONE illegal was seen by these people. NOT ONE. MAGA is a “… a comically disorganized and useless parade of con artists and the conned, drifting from one apocalyptic grievance to the next.”

Sound familiar, trailer park denizens?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Gadianton wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:55 pm
The RINOs and Democrats wouldn't even allow us to build our own wall.
Sure. So what you're saying is, even if a person wants the government to do something and is willing to pay for it, there are other factors that may prevent the ends from being realized?

In other words, when you keep telling billionaires to pay more taxes if they want government to do something, or me or others on the forum to pay more taxes, the fact that we don't might have something to do with factors aside from money that would keep the ends from being achieved?

It seems that you have no problem with taxes in principle, so long as the taxes go towards things you think are important. It may come as a shock, but that's pretty much how everyone feels.
I'm asking for the border to be enforced and if possible, we'd even pay for it ourselves and allow free riders like yourselves to benefit from the hard decisions we had to make. Yes you can call us racist from your secure multimillion-dollar homes in Martha's Vineyard knowing full well that the effects of lawlessness in the inner city and open borders will never affect you or your family. Bill Gates and these billionaires that make sense are asking for higher taxes on billionaires. Why do they need a higher tax? What exactly is the government spending money on now that Bill Gates doesn't agree with or that you don't agree with for that matter? If you want higher taxes, then pay higher taxes. What's stopping you?

I have a huge problem with taxes in principle. The founding fathers never envisioned income taxes to become a means of national wealth redistribution, much less global wealth redistribution. The decision to give or not give belongs to the earner not the taker. What good is a government that won't respect such basic private property rights?
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

ajax18 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:26 pm
I have a huge problem with taxes in principle. The founding fathers never envisioned income taxes to become a means of national wealth redistribution, much less global wealth redistribution. The decision to give or not give belongs to the earner not the taker. What good is a government that won't respect such basic private property rights?
You are grievously mistaken if you think that conservative politicians are fundamentally opposed to distribution of wealth! What they are really opposed to is reversing the ongoing, massive redistribution of wealth from the least wealthy of us to their already obscenely wealthy donors by massively cutting their taxes, subsidizing them and exempting them having to follow regulations requiring them to follow common sense health and safety regulations designed to minimize avoidable harm to their workers, the users of their products and damage to our environment, resulting in some of the wealthiest corporations and their owners paying a much lower percentage of their income in taxes than more ordinary Americans, and in some egregious cases, no taxes at all! Why, for example, are fossil fuel companies, some of the most profitable companies in history, getting massive government subsidies?
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Why, for example, are fossil fuel companies, some of the most profitable companies in history, getting massive government subsidies?
Because they would simply leave the country and take their wealth with them. If you think they are just going to pay higher taxes out of a patriotic duty to do so, you're sorely mistaken. Bill Gates could pay higher taxes right now if he wanted to.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

ajax18 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:26 pm
some retarded crap
WAPost:
CONVOY: Protestors show up at Texas border and disappointment is everywhere
- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

ajax18 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:35 am
Why, for example, are fossil fuel companies, some of the most profitable companies in history, getting massive government subsidies?
Because they would simply leave the country and take their wealth with them. [...]
Excuse me? Companies that extract coal, oil and gas from US soil and rocks can leave "and take their wealth with them"?

How can they do that? It would be extremely easy to ensure that anybody who extracted fossil fuel resources in the US had to pay tax on what they extracted, wherever their corporate base might be legally located - whether Michigan, the Maldive Islands, or the planet Mars. Otherwise you just shut down their extraction operations, and where is their 'wealth' then?

What you have posted seems to me to make no sense. If I have misunderstood, please explain more clearly.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

ajax18 wrote:
Bill Gates could pay higher taxes right now if he wanted to.
In effect, he is already doing that by his massive philanthropic efforts, but he realizes that there is a limit to how much even someone as wealthy as himself can do alone. And he knows that a large proportion of the world's wealthiest people are far too selfish to voluntarily give up any of their insane material wealth, that far exceeds their own needs, in order to help the much less unfortunate who can, with the right kind of help, get on the road to better health, security, education, economic self-sufficiency, and self-worth.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Gunnar wrote:
In effect, he is already doing that by his massive philanthropic efforts, but he realizes that there is a limit to how much even someone as wealthy as himself can do alone. And he knows that a large proportion of the world's wealthiest people are far too selfish to voluntarily give up any of their insane material wealth, that far exceeds their own needs, in order to help the much less unfortunate who can, with the right kind of help, get on the road to better health, security, education, economic self-sufficiency, and self-worth.
Don't you not think the federal government knows better how to spend Bill Gates donations than Bill Gates? Isn't it the government who should decide where his charity should go, not the earner? Maybe you happen to agree whichever charity Bill Gates chooses, but what if it were Mitt Romney counting his tithing as a charitable contribution? Oh well then, you'd have Harry Reid claiming on the Senate floor that Romney was a tax cheat.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Chap wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:54 am
ajax18 wrote:
Because they would simply leave the country and take their wealth with them. [...]
Excuse me? Companies that extract coal, oil and gas from US soil and rocks can leave "and take their wealth with them"?

How can they do that? It would be extremely easy to ensure that anybody who extracted fossil fuel resources in the US had to pay tax on what they extracted, wherever their corporate base might be legally located - whether Michigan, the Maldive Islands, or the planet Mars. Otherwise you just shut down their extraction operations, and where is their 'wealth' then?

What you have posted seems to me to make no sense. If I have misunderstood, please explain more clearly.
Investors can just go find oil shale in a different country with lower taxes and cheaper labor.