We Need More Immigrants, not Fewer

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Vēritās
God

We Need More Immigrants, not Fewer

Post by Vēritās »

Republicans hate immigrants for one reason. They're racist and xenophobic.

https://x.com/dartagnank/status/1750325 ... 12953?s=20

Immigrants Bring Rejuvenation to Many Small Towns

Did you know that five Republican states are paying immigrants to come live there because they suffer from labor shortages?

Did you know that immigrants have effectively brought dying rural areas across the country back to life economically?

With the massive labor shortages going on, more immigration is precisely what we need. Trump's claim that we don't have room for them is ignorant and idiotic.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
ajax18
God

Re: We Need More Immigrants not Fewer

Post by ajax18 »

Then why all the complaining when we send illegal immigrants to sanctuary cities?

Whether you believe we need more immigrants or not, it's still unconstitutional for the President to bypass congressional law and refuse to enforce the border.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

ajax18 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:55 pm
Whether you believe we need more immigrants or not, it's still unconstitutional for the President to bypass congressional law and refuse to enforce the border.
Putting aside the easily verifiable, and already shared fact that there have been more border enforcement actions in FY 2023 than the entirety of the Trump administration...

It's been almost 3 years since Biden sent legislation to be passed, that increased border security at ports of entry, and increased technology implementation to detect illegal crossings. Part of the legislation even had funding for resources that Border Patrol could easily relocate as needed to address border vulnerabilities as they were found in almost real-time.

Surely, after 3 years of complaining about Biden doing nothing about the border, Republicans have voted to pass that legislation, right? Or at the very least, tried to negotiate what they wanted in the legislation? It'd be pretty wild, if a major Republican politician had been accidentally recorded on a phone call, expressing to his colleagues the MAGA GOP plan to continue to thwart attempts by Biden to secure the border, because they didn't want to give him any "wins."

Thankfully, we know that there's no way MAGA would sabotage the entire country, just to make a single politician look bad, right? Right? I mean, it's not like the proposed Republican budget would have cut about 2,000 border agents' jobs. Riiiight?
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Or at the very least, tried to negotiate what they wanted in the legislation?
What good is a promise of border enforcement from a party who will never do that? Democrats have never kept their promise to enforce the border and therefore should never be trusted to do so regardless of what they get in return and regardless of what law is passed. If Biden or Obama wanted border enforcement, they wouldn't be suing their own states to stop them from enforcing their own border, first Arizona and now Texas. They want illegal immigrants entering red states specifically so that Democrats can win elections there. They don't want red states bussing illegal immigrants to blue states because they know that illegal immigrants are a net drain on the economy and they can't afford to provide for them, in spite of their exceedingly high state and city taxes.

What good is a government that won't protect private property rights? We've had at least 8 million illegal immigrants enter the US that we know about. Why isn't the economy booming? Why are kids being kicked out of school buildings and relegated to online learning if illegal immigrants are so great for our standard of living?
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

ajax18 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:24 pm
Or at the very least, tried to negotiate what they wanted in the legislation?
What good is a promise of border enforcement from a party who will never do that?
So, the reason Republicans refuse to secure our borders is because they don't want Democrats to secure the border, because they won't do it, even though they'll have to do it, because that's kind of the whole point of legislation... or something.

Weird, but ok.
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Vēritās wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:34 am
Republicans hate immigrants for one reason. They're racist and xenophobic.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Golly! What an amazing riposte.

Meanwhile, back at the topic ...
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Senate Republicans and Democrats passed a $40 billion immigration bill that would easily address the border situation by investing in newer and more effective electronic surveillance technology, provide an extra 20,000 new Border Patrol officers and building 700 miles of new fencing.

House Democrats are ready to pass it as well, and Joe Biden is ready to sign it.

Except there is one roadblock. The House Republicans loyal to Donald Trump.

But wait how can that be? Aren't these the same people making a huge deal about the border crisis, expressing urgency for action, even to the point of threatening a civil war? Yes, and that's point. You see, Republicans want there to be a border crisis and they want it to appear much worse than it is because despite all of the posturing bluster and frothing at the mouth about an "invasion," all they really care about is what's politically beneficial for them and their orange master who isn't even in office. And right now fixing the border doesn't benefit them because the current President is Joe Biden name and they'd rather he not get any more WINS added to his resume.

Instead, they want to demand Biden act like a dictator and treat this as if we were being invaded by a foreign military (very much the same way Governor Abbott is treating it) because they know it is something he'll never do. This way they get to continue blaming Biden for the border crisis and they can keep gaslighting the American people about how Joe Biden doesn't want to fix the problem and about how we're under attack. But Joe Biden understands there is a process, and it begins with Congress. For this reason Donald Trump's band of loyalists in the House are blocking any progress to resolve the problem.

We know this because some Republicans like Texas Representative Troy Nehls have already given the game away by saying the quiet part out loud:

“Let me tell you, I’m not willing to do too damn much right now to help a Democrat and to help Joe Biden’s approval rating."

They make it clear they have no intentions of helping with the Border so long as Joe Biden is President and the reason is because President Biden is the most legislatively accomplished President we've had in more than half a century, and they're trying desperately to give him a loss big enough to help detract from all of his huge wins. This irresponsible behavior and dereliction of duty has created a rift within their own Party.

Sen. Thom Tillis, R-N.C., urged his colleagues not to make it all about politics at the behest of another candidate:

“I didn’t come here to have the president as a boss or a candidate as a boss. I came here to pass good, solid policy," Tillis said. “It is immoral for me to think you looked the other way because you think this is the linchpin for President Trump to win.”

Senator Mitt Romney R-Utah said:

“The border is a very important issue for Donald Trump. And the fact that he would communicate to Republican senators and Congress people that he doesn’t want us to solve the border problem — because he wants to blame Biden for it — is really appalling. The American people are suffering as a result of what’s happening at the border. And someone running for president ought to try and get the problem solved, as opposed to saying, ‘Hey, save that problem! Don’t solve it! Let me take credit for solving it later.’”

Sen. Jon Tester, D-Mont., “We need to get that deal done to secure the border. If they want to keep it as a campaign issue, I think they need to resign from the damn Senate.”

At this point there should be no doubt that republicans want to embrace dictatorship. First Trump, and now Texas' Governor Abbott. Today's GOP has been overrun by extremists whose fealty remains with a disgraced ex-President who is likely going to die in prison but they will be taking orders from him until his dying breath because their loyalty isn't to the Constitution, it is to a political cult that can only function in a non-Democratic autocracy.

And this notion that razor wire or a border wall is a viable solution is debunked by recent history when hundreds of migrants successfully tunneled under Trump's border wall and crossed into the USA. Since Biden took office dozens of tunnels have been discovered.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Joe Biden vows to SHUT DOWN THE BORDER (hear that Ajax?) if Congress passes the Bill, because only then can he legally do so.

It is wonderful to have a President who is so cognizant of the separation of powers and would rather err on the side of caution than act like a dictator.
High Spy
1st Quorum of 70

Post by High Spy »

Chap wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:26 pm
Golly! What an amazing riposte.

Meanwhile, back at the topic ...
Biden is like the tramp that Trump demolishes, but Biden likely put the finishing touches on an untenable debt disaster.