We Need More Immigrants, not Fewer

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
ajax18
God

Re: We Need More Immigrants, not Fewer

Post by ajax18 »

Gadianton wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:36 pm
Ajax also needs to explain why Trump has any more incentive to expel immigrants than a wealthy Silicon Valley liberal. Why does it matter to Trump, aside from inciting his base about it?

Perhaps when Trump takes over again he will execute on mass deportations. But didn't he promise that in 2016? This term he's so in deep with legal problems, his primary focus will be gaining whatever power he needs to escape from his legal woes, and punish his enemies.

At the end of the day, yes, I think Trump will make "an effort" to create havoc with immigration, and there's a chance he'll succeed at record deportations. But he doesn't have to. He mainly has to shout about it. Why doesn't he have to succeed, Ajax?

The reason is because if Donald Trump says the sky is green, everyone has to support him and say the sky is green. If he says he builds better walls than anybody, people have to say he builds the best walls. If he says he deported historic numbers of illegals, then people have to agree and say he did, no matter what the facts actually are. With such a fantastic safety net of eternal loyalty from his base, he doesn't have to succeed at anything.

MAGA now means keep Donald Trump in power. If Donald Trump is in power, America is great, no matter what the facts are.
Or maybe when leftist politicians say they want more immigration not less, voters should believe them. Maybe if there are 10 million more illegal immigrants in the country after Biden's four years in office, perhaps the border was actually open to illegal immigrants and not enforced.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Vēritās wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:10 pm
And here is something else I always suspected to be true, turning out to be true. The reason we've seen such a huge wave of migrants flooding the border in recent years is partly due to the fact that Right Wing narratives of "open borders" travel south of the border so when they come they're shocked to see they're not open at all. Border Patrol agents are saying some of them are confused because they were under the belief Biden had "Open borders." Gee, wonder where they got that crazy idea.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/immigra ... ant-surge/
That rings truer than the MAGA Republican narrative about open borders given the documented fact that greater numbers of people are turned away from our borders or deported now than during Trump's tenure and that record quantities of drugs like Fentanyl are being successfully intercepted more than ever before. It's hilarious to me that they can't see the inherent contradiction of those claims with their claim of open borders! That the current increase of migrants converging on our borders is largely due to these migrants believing the Republicans' false claim of open borders is even more ironic and hilarious!
Last edited by Gunnar on Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

So Republicans in the Senate demanded things in their border bill, they got them, they sent it to the MAGA squad in the House, and now after Right Wing media has threatened them they are now backing off their own bill! This is because Trump needs them to do nothing so it can benefit him during the election.

I remember specifically a few weeks ago Mike Johnson told a journalist on CNN that, when asked, the Border Patrol does not want this border bill passed. And yet we just learned yesterday the Border Patrol union has endorsed it.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

ajax18 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:47 pm
Gadianton wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:36 pm
Ajax also needs to explain why Trump has any more incentive to expel immigrants than a wealthy Silicon Valley liberal. Why does it matter to Trump, aside from inciting his base about it?

Perhaps when Trump takes over again he will execute on mass deportations. But didn't he promise that in 2016? This term he's so in deep with legal problems, his primary focus will be gaining whatever power he needs to escape from his legal woes, and punish his enemies.

At the end of the day, yes, I think Trump will make "an effort" to create havoc with immigration, and there's a chance he'll succeed at record deportations. But he doesn't have to. He mainly has to shout about it. Why doesn't he have to succeed, Ajax?

The reason is because if Donald Trump says the sky is green, everyone has to support him and say the sky is green. If he says he builds better walls than anybody, people have to say he builds the best walls. If he says he deported historic numbers of illegals, then people have to agree and say he did, no matter what the facts actually are. With such a fantastic safety net of eternal loyalty from his base, he doesn't have to succeed at anything.

MAGA now means keep Donald Trump in power. If Donald Trump is in power, America is great, no matter what the facts are.
Or maybe when leftist politicians say they want more immigration not less, voters should believe them. Maybe if there are 10 million more illegal immigrants in the country after Biden's four years in office, perhaps the border was actually open to illegal immigrants and not enforced.
How many illegal immigrants did Trump employ?
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Looks like Nikki Haley is getting unprecedented threats made against her.

Wonder who is behind it. Could it be Antifa? Or, is it more likely to be unhinged Trump supporters? What do you think Ajax? Maybe RINO's who don't care about the border?
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

No wonder they didn't want us to see this border bill. It was absolutely terrible for the American worker. The only thing good I can say about it is that Al Sharpton doesn't seem to like it much either. I guess the reverend Al doesn't have to be wrong about everything.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Brack
Deacon

Post by Brack »

ajax18 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:01 pm
No wonder they didn't want us to see this border bill. It was absolutely terrible for the American worker. The only thing good I can say about it is that Al Sharpton doesn't seem to like it much either. I guess the reverend Al doesn't have to be wrong about everything.
The Border Patrol union supports this bill. Link
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

The border bill is the strongest piece of legislation ever in terms of stopping illegal immigration and now the GOP is giving up on it because they don't want Biden to get credit for it. The only people saying the bill does nothing are those who haven't read it, and the MAGA morons who are just being dishonest. People like ajax who actually want there to be a "crisis" but now the American people understand it is a Republican Border Crisis.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Vēritās wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:15 pm
The border bill is the strongest piece of legislation ever in terms of stopping illegal immigration and now the GOP is giving up on it because they don't want Biden to get credit for it. The only people saying the bill does nothing are those who haven't read it, and the MAGA morons who are just being dishonest. People like ajax who actually want there to be a "crisis" but now the American people understand it is a Republican Border Crisis.
Well that's a first. I've never been accused of wanting more migrants until now. If the border bill actually stopped mass immigration and importation of poverty into the country, I'd be for it regardless of who was president. This bill does not enforce the border. If you don't believe me, ask Chris Murphy.

Here Chris assures liberals that the bill won't actually ever shut down the border or stop mass migration of unskilled, impoverished, and pregnant migrants into America.
But...important checks on that power. It can only be used for a limited number of days per year. It sunsets in 3 years. Emergency cases that show up in between the ports still need to be accepted. The ports must process a minimum of 1400 claims a day.

7/ You can't reduce arrivals at the border without allowing for more legal immigration. So, more visas! 50,000 extra employment and family reunification visas each year for the next 5 years.

And a brand new visa category to allow non-citizens to visit family in the U.S.

8/ A clarification of how humanitarian parole is used at the land borders, but NO changes to the President's ability to bring in vetted, sponsored migrants through the program known as CNHV (Cuba, Nicaragua, Haiti, and Venezuela parole).

/ A new pathway to citizenship for Afghan parolees (the Afghan Adjustment Act) and the children of H1B holders (these kids are often currently subject to deportation when they become 21).

10/ The bill helps fix the border and reform our broken asylum system. But it doesn’t deviate from our nation’s core values.

We are a nation that rescues people from terror and violence. We are a nation that is stronger because of our tradition of immigration. Period. Stop.
The Democrats were never going to be any reduction to mass and illegal immigration. It looks like blue states need us to keep bussing illegal immigrants to their homes and communities so they can see up close and personal the results of their core values.