The Insight of: The Three Stooges

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

The Insight of: The Three Stooges

Post by Jersey Girl »

Well Folks I was just on youtube and this was one that came up in my feed. I figured sure, I'll watch it, why not, right? This is a circa 1960 interview with the Three Stooges. So I got to this one part and time stamped it for your consideration. Because it purely sickened me.

I would just like you to LISTEN to what they had to say about their craft vs. child viewers. Consider the fact that this interview took place over 60 years ago and 52 years later a lone gunman walked into Sandy Hook Elementary and opened fire. Violence is now a regular occurrence in the schools of America.

RARE - THREE STOOGES interview and Stooge Family Interview
https://youtu.be/Roewa67NqWc?t=585

Question for the masses: How bloody stupid and sick are we as a society that we are allowing our future to be literally gunned down in this country?

Bonus Question: Who are the real stooges, huh?

Your turn if you want it...
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Re: The Insight of: The Three Stooges

Post by Dr. Shades »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:03 am
This is a circa 1960 interview with the Three Stooges. So I got to this one part and time stamped it for your consideration. Because it purely sickened me.
How so? It seemed pretty wholesome to me.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

My dad used to twist my nose like that. Except he actually did it and one time bruised the end of my nose. I guess that might be where he got that idea from. :lol:
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:05 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
This is a circa 1960 interview with the Three Stooges. So I got to this one part and time stamped it for your consideration. Because it purely sickened me.
I was confused by this too.

I suspect (and Jersey Girl, you can correct me if I'm wrong - in fact, I think your post could use expansion) that Jersey Girl saw that ~'60 interview where they were considering the impact of their pretend violence on American children, and was sickened by how far we've traveled culturally since then with respect to violence in art.

The thing is, I don't think art has ever motivated someone to commit violence. I was addicted to Bugs Bunny cartoons as a kid, which were extremely violent, and it never once made me want to drop an anvil on someone's head. All I think art has ever done (with respect to violence) was provide ideas for someone already willing to commit violent acts.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Some Schmo wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:29 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:05 am

I suspect (and Jersey Girl, you can correct me if I'm wrong - in fact, I think your post could use expansion) that Jersey Girl saw that ~'60 interview where they were considering the impact of their pretend violence on American children, and was sickened by how far we've traveled culturally since then with respect to violence in art.

The thing is, I don't think art has ever motivated someone to commit violence. I was addicted to Bugs Bunny cartoons as a kid, which were extremely violent, and it never once made me want to drop an anvil on someone's head. All I think art has ever done (with respect to violence) was provide ideas for someone already willing to commit violent acts.
Some Schmo, it seems reasonable to me to think that seeing violence in art would not create a desire to do violence. However, one might wonder about the situation of a person experiencing conflicting motivations towards and away from violence. I think most of the time violence portrayed shows reasons not to seek violence, it is hurtful. Some things may slip into a sort of revenge thrill. I doubt the health effect of this.

I was a bit unsure what Jersey Girl was thinking. I found the personal relationships in the Stooges revolting and did not like to see their comic skits. I have some suspicion that there may have been a time when I was young enough to find them funny but a somewhat older me has repressed that.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

huckelberry wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:30 pm
Some Schmo, it seems reasonable to me to think that seeing violence in art would not create a desire to do violence. However, one might wonder about the situation of a person experiencing conflicting motivations towards and away from violence. I think most of the time violence portrayed shows reasons not to seek violence, it is hurtful. Some things may slip into a sort of revenge thrill. I doubt the health effect of this.
John Wick is a good example (among many these days) of someone you, as the viewer, are given multiple reasons (rationalizations/justifications) by the movie's writer to excuse all the heinous violence committed by the titular character. I enjoyed the John Wick movies, but often found myself thinking they were way over the top. I almost feel like it's cartoonish in that way to make it less realistic and make the experience less viscerally disturbing. So my takeaway from that example is that nobody is going to find themselves faced with Wick's choices.

And even when you are confronted by a choice, are you going to make the bad one you saw in a movie because you saw it in a movie? Or are you going to make the bad choice because you're someone who makes bad choices? What seems more likely?
I was a bit unsure what Jersey Girl was thinking. I found the personal relationships in the Stooges revolting and did not like to see their comic skits. I have some suspicion that there may have been a time when I was young enough to find them funny but a somewhat older me has repressed that.
I've never found the humor in "The Tree Stooges" either. It's just another in a long list of products whose popularity I'll never understand.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Some Schmo wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:29 pm

Darn near nailed it. Not violence in art but violence in our present day society. The stooges acknowledge that with TV their slapstick that involved the actual appearance of slapping and other physical assaults would be coming into American homes so they planned to alter their presentations on account of its possible negative influence on children. They also acknowledged that mothers would be less likely to allow children to view so I'm sure there'd be a financial deficit for them as well.

The point is they acknowledged the impact of violence on children. I'll continue in another post.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Explaining my own post...

This is where I intro the time stamped portion of the video, mention the date of the interview, and express disgust having viewed it.
Jersey Girl wrote:
Well Folks I was just on youtube and this was one that came up in my feed. I figured sure, I'll watch it, why not, right? This is a circa 1960 interview with the Three Stooges. So I got to this one part and time stamped it for your consideration. Because it purely sickened me.
Here is where I attempt to tie together the 60 year old wisdom of the Stooges Moe Howard acknowledging that with the Stooges moving to television, how their slapstick physical comedy portrayed violence and how that violence could impact child viewers in the American home with contemporary societal REAL violence against children in their safe spaces...their homes and their schools.
I would just like you to LISTEN to what they had to say about their craft vs. child viewers. Consider the fact that this interview took place over 60 years ago and 52 years later a lone gunman walked into Sandy Hook Elementary and opened fire. Violence is now a regular occurrence in the schools of America.
Here is where I express my total disgust about contemporary societal real violence against children in their safe spaces and question our intelligence and wisdom as a society.
Question for the masses: How bloody stupid and sick are we as a society that we are allowing our future to be literally gunned down in this country?
And here is where I pose a rhetorical question intended to demonstrate that 60 freaking years ago the Stooges exercised insight and wisdom that in today's "forward" society we lack.
Bonus Question: Who are the real stooges, huh?
And the answer to the question is, WE ARE.

Why? Because as we continue to allow children to be traumatized and killed by violence, we continue to kill our own future as a society.

The Stooges had it right and we are unwise idiots.

Slava Ukraini!