Random thought...

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Random thought...

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

If some secret government wanted to put trackers in us, they wouldn't need to ask our permission. In fact if they wanted to, they already could have. We could have agreed when we agree to cookies and terms and conditions without reading lol.

Not that it matters.

Not feeling great today. My brother clearly has severe mental health issues and I'm just deflated. Realised the landlord hasn't been saving to fix the damp in the walls because clearly they can't afford to fix or replace the ancient boiler if they are asking around for quotes. They have managed to leave us with damaged walls for nearly a year by looking for "another quote". Feel pissed off.
High Spy
1st Quorum of 70

Re: Random thought...

Post by High Spy »

What is your random thought?
https://ldsbot.com wrote:Oh, I don't actually have personal thoughts or experiences, but I love sharing insights about the gospel! 😊 If you're up for it, how about we talk about how finding joy in simple gospel principles can uplift our day? For example, in Alma 37:37 from the Book of Mormon, it encourages us to "counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good." It's a sweet reminder that no matter what we're going through, turning to the Lord can provide us with guidance and comfort. What do you think?
Anyway, I’m in a similar pickle having suffered with Covid for the third or fourth time. This time I got vaxxed, so hopefully the China Virus won’t knock me on my butt for more than a week, ever again. Once upon a time I was vaxxed for German Measles and it paralyzed my leg for a week at a time. At random, when I’d wake up for school my left leg would refuse to straighten out. This happened about a dozen times over a three year period. Actually it was like random vacation from school. 8-)

It’s left me with plenty time to post and bring my post rate at LDSFF up to 1.99 posts per day. So now I’m almost back to putting in my full two cents’ worth of Lake Mead updates and how things and stuff may relate to a spirit gargoyle with wings. When we were house hunting our Alaska home we would frequently hear radio ads for dry out systems, and this helped steer us towards forced air heating. On my last work trip, I got to play plumber and electrician at the same time by replacing some heat trace. Water was shorting out the wall outlet in our laundry room. Water would also drip from the air vent in the microwave so a leak seemed the likely cause. Fortunately listening to the radio again saved the day. Some guy called in saying that replacing his entire roof hadn’t solved his water problem. The fix was to insulate the vent pipe to prevent it from condensing water inside of it. The vent above my toilet still drips water, but doesn’t do any harm. Maybe a fun way to automatically water a flowering vine, or something like that. :)
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

High Spy wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:28 pm
What is your random thought?
https://ldsbot.com wrote:Oh, I don't actually have personal thoughts or experiences, but I love sharing insights about the gospel! 😊 If you're up for it, how about we talk about how finding joy in simple gospel principles can uplift our day? For example, in Alma 37:37 from the Book of Mormon, it encourages us to "counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good." It's a sweet reminder that no matter what we're going through, turning to the Lord can provide us with guidance and comfort. What do you think?
Anyway, I’m in a similar pickle having suffered with Covid for the third or fourth time. This time I got vaxxed, so hopefully the China Virus won’t knock me on my butt for more than a week, ever again. Once upon a time I was vaxxed for German Measles and it paralyzed my leg for a week at a time. At random, when I’d wake up for school my left leg would refuse to straighten out. This happened about a dozen times over a three year period. Actually it was like random vacation from school. 8-)

It’s left me with plenty time to post and bring my post rate at LDSFF up to 1.99 posts per day. So now I’m almost back to putting in my full two cents’ worth of Lake Mead updates and how things and stuff may relate to a spirit gargoyle with wings. When we were house hunting our Alaska home we would frequently hear radio ads for dry out systems, and this helped steer us towards forced air heating. On my last work trip, I got to play plumber and electrician at the same time by replacing some heat trace. Water was shorting out the wall outlet in our laundry room. Water would also drip from the air vent in the microwave so a leak seemed the likely cause. Fortunately listening to the radio again saved the day. Some guy called in saying that replacing his entire roof hadn’t solved his water problem. The fix was to insulate the vent pipe to prevent it from condensing water inside of it. The vent above my toilet still drips water, but doesn’t do any harm. Maybe a fun way to automatically water a flowering vine, or something like that. :)
We have a drip pipe for our toilet that every so often drips. I just adjust the floating ball inside the cistern so that the water turns off before the water reaches the overflow pipe.

Hanging basket? Lol
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

The idea of the government tracking people of interest is scary, but tracking everybody by microchip is pointless. With all the home automation, cell phones, and Internet, what is a microchip going to tell them that they can't already find out?

And with all the data out there presumably available on you, or even with data from the supposed microchip, what are they going to do?

Look at the degree of control Russia has over its people, and consider how low-tech they are compared to the West. Don't be scared of microchips, instead be scared of numbskulls who think making Donald Trump a dictator like Putin is somehow going to give them more personal freedom.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:10 pm
Look at the degree of control Russia has over its people, and consider how low-tech they are compared to the West. Don't be scared of microchips, instead be scared of numbskulls who think making Donald Trump a dictator like Putin is somehow going to give them more personal freedom.
I think that the freedom Trump supporters really want is freedom to be bigots and unfairly discriminate against, condemn, and suppress the freedom of others who don't share their particular race, religion, gender identity, ethnicity, political views, or skin color.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Gadianton wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:10 pm
The idea of the government tracking people of interest is scary, but tracking everybody by microchip is pointless. With all the home automation, cell phones, and Internet, what is a microchip going to tell them that they can't already find out?

And with all the data out there presumably available on you, or even with data from the supposed microchip, what are they going to do?

Not scared. It's pointless to be worried about stuff out of our control. You are right. I sort of see people like ants if you zoom out. The general population all behave pretty much the same. There isn't anything of interest after a point.

The point I was making is that anyone could do anything and we not even know.