Psalm 10:2-7: Could this apply to Trump?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
hauslern
Bishop

Psalm 10:2-7: Could this apply to Trump?

Post by hauslern »

Psalm 10:2-7
New International Version
2 In his arrogance the wicked man hunts down the weak,
who are caught in the schemes he devises.
3 He boasts about the cravings of his heart;
he blesses the greedy and reviles the Lord.

4 In his pride the wicked man does not seek him;
in all his thoughts there is no room for God.
5 His ways are always prosperous;
your laws are rejected by[a] him;
he sneers at all his enemies.
6 He says to himself, “Nothing will ever shake me.”
He swears, “No one will ever do me harm.”
7 His mouth is full of lies and threats;
trouble and evil are under his tongue.

Since some evangelicals like to point out alleged prophesies about Trump I thought this might apply to him.
Chap
God

Re: Psalm 10:2-7 Could this apply to Trump.

Post by Chap »

Seems pretty applicable so far as I can see.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

hauslern wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:19 pm

Since some evangelicals like to point out alleged prophesies about Trump I thought this might apply to him.
Ancient literature is full of excellent portraits of the kind of reckless, greedy fools who make terrible leaders. You could spend the rest of your days studying this kind of thing, so much material exists. Portraits of Greek tyrants are abundant, and their behavior is very reminiscent of Trump. It makes me think that, for all the flaws of people who lived centuries ago, they seem to have been pretty spot on when it came to identifying bad apples.

We should make people study these passages so that they are better able to sniff out the baddies and avoid them like the plague. Trump is a textbook tyrant. An obvious wicked fool. And yet, a third of our citizens seem eager to have him for a second horrible term as president. The first time was bad enough. The next could be our undoing.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Sure, but as a negative hero, the more bad he is by alleged Christian standards, the more he's loved by Christians. There is no straightforward victory by showing he's not Christlike. It's complicated and I don't fully understand why, but as a one-time WWF fan, you can see the obvious reflection of WWF storylines in American politics 20 years later. The postmodern turn in television also; beginning with the epic series, The Wire, where good and bad is complicated, and bad guys are often protagonists. There are conveniences like, the attack-dog apologist who will get even with enemies by the supposed standards of the enemy rather than by what's right. "A taste of their own (alleged -- mostly invented) medicine". I think the fascination is wearing off, as Americans get bored easy. But he has so much momentum that he'll own the Republican party until he's dead.
hauslern
Bishop

Post by hauslern »

The GOP knew when they captured the Supreme Court they had control. Lifetime appointment. The case against him with Jan 6th will not happen. Trump's tactic delay delay is working. The Bush - Gore decision was completed in a short time. 6 justices, some of whom are enjoying the attention of a billionaire, will look after Trump. Could Trump just jail all his enemies?
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

hauslern wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:19 pm

The Holy Bible is indeed a complex book. It has had such great cultural influence on mankind (especially on Western culture) that it would be a foolish mistake to deny that there is anything worthwhile to be gained by becoming familiar with its contents. It contains both history and mythology, both truth and fiction, both wisdom and nonsense. The above quoted passage is one of the best examples of the wisdom contained within it and is well worth heeding. Thanks for bringing it to our attention, houslern!

Yet, it would be at least as foolish a mistake to insist that every word in that book is necessarily and absolutely true and inerrant. It is very far from established beyond all reasonable doubt that it is any less than 100% the work of mortal, sometimes fallible and sometimes even foolish human beings than anything else that has ever been written.
Last edited by Gunnar on Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

hauslern wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:11 am
The GOP knew when they captured the Supreme Court they had control. Lifetime appointment. The case against him with Jan 6th will not happen. Trump's tactic delay delay is working.
It sure seems that way now, but I haven't yet given up the hope that the case against him will still happen.
The Bush - Gore decision was completed in a short time. 6 justices some of whom are enjoying the attention of a billionaire will look after Trump. Could Trump just jail all his enemies?
There can no longer be any reasonable doubt that Trump will try mightily to do just that, should he win the next general election. He is evidently every bit as evil and authoritarian at heart as Vladimir Putin, for whom Trump has unabashedly expressed admiration.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Appreciate hauslern sharing this. I absolutely agree with the comparison to Trump. I'd like to share the text in whole from the KJV so folks can see the excerpt in context. There are some who would say that today's Christians are all over Trump as if he were the Second Coming. If you read the full text below you'll get a fair representation of how I view him myself and while I don't believe that God has turned his face from us, I just want to emphasize that we are not all the same in our views or what we pray for.

Psalm 10
King James Version

1 Why standest thou afar off, O Lord? why hidest thou thyself in times of trouble?

2 The wicked in his pride doth persecute the poor: let them be taken in the devices that they have imagined.

3 For the wicked boasteth of his heart's desire, and blesseth the covetous, whom the Lord abhorreth.

4 The wicked, through the pride of his countenance, will not seek after God: God is not in all his thoughts.

5 His ways are always grievous; thy judgments are far above out of his sight: as for all his enemies, he puffeth at them.

6 He hath said in his heart, I shall not be moved: for I shall never be in adversity.

7 His mouth is full of cursing and deceit and fraud: under his tongue is mischief and vanity.

8 He sitteth in the lurking places of the villages: in the secret places doth he murder the innocent: his eyes are privily set against the poor.

9 He lieth in wait secretly as a lion in his den: he lieth in wait to catch the poor: he doth catch the poor, when he draweth him into his net.

10 He croucheth, and humbleth himself, that the poor may fall by his strong ones.

11 He hath said in his heart, God hath forgotten: he hideth his face; he will never see it.

12 Arise, O Lord; O God, lift up thine hand: forget not the humble.

13 Wherefore doth the wicked contemn God? he hath said in his heart, Thou wilt not require it.

14 Thou hast seen it; for thou beholdest mischief and spite, to requite it with thy hand: the poor committeth himself unto thee; thou art the helper of the fatherless.

15 Break thou the arm of the wicked and the evil man: seek out his wickedness till thou find none.

16 The Lord is King for ever and ever: the heathen are perished out of his land.

17 Lord, thou hast heard the desire of the humble: thou wilt prepare their heart, thou wilt cause thine ear to hear:

18 To judge the fatherless and the oppressed, that the man of the earth may no more oppress.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!