Too old.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Moksha
God

Re: Too old.

Post by Moksha »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:47 am
So make them do tests. Check they've got all their marbles and are consistent.
Testing them to see if they regularly have orange gunk sprayed on their face.

The fact that Trump lies regularly and is prone to irrational outbursts is attractive to many people. We all live our lives following the rules, so when we see people who could be the Godfather of a major crime family... well, that appeals to us.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Moksha wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:02 am
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:47 am
So make them do tests. Check they've got all their marbles and are consistent.
Testing them to see if they regularly have orange gunk sprayed on their face.

The fact that Trump lies regularly and is prone to irrational outbursts is attractive to many people. We all live our lives following the rules, so when we see people who could be the Godfather of a major crime family... well, that appeals to us.
Why does it appeal? Looking forward to the next general election in the UK. :D I will be voting labour. Not that it will make a difference because this is already a labour ward so my vote won't change the results but it will stand as a statement.

Edit: well a statement to myself cos no one else will care.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:16 am
Moksha wrote:
Why does it appeal?
I’d agree that most any person will chafe at either the legal or polite rules of society at some point, for some reason.

Plenty of folks will enjoy living a moment or two vicariously through their ‘heroes’ and their actions, good or bad. The ability of those heroes to escape the consequences of their actions is a bit of a thrill for their audience. So, too, when those heroes occasionally bite the dust, allowing the audience to feel empathy or enjoy some shadenfreude.

Your question is a good one. I can only guess that the human appetite for emotional engagement is stronger than what the average human experience provides to any given individual in these modern days. You know, being ‘cogs in the machine’ and all.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

canpakes wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:19 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Why does it appeal?
I’d agree that most any person will chafe at either the legal or polite rules of society at some point, for some reason.

Plenty of folks will enjoy living a moment or two vicariously through their ‘heroes’ and their actions, good or bad. The ability of those heroes to escape the consequences of their actions is a bit of a thrill for their audience. So, too, when those heroes occasionally bite the dust, allowing the audience to feel empathy or enjoy some shadenfreude.

Your question is a good one. I can only guess that the human appetite for emotional engagement is stronger than what the average human experience provides to any given individual in these modern days. You know, being ‘cogs in the machine’ and all.
I can't visualise this. But I choose to believe you. I do feel like a cog in a machine, with a few teeth missing (not real teeth, cog teeth lol, although I am going to have my wisdom tooth removed on Saturday, dreading it). I don't have any idols or people I live vicariously through. Maybe that's why I don't have any excitement in my life beyond my kids.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:29 pm
I don't have any idols or people I live vicariously through. Maybe that's why I don't have any excitement in my life beyond my kids.
Same here. I don’t understand this when I see it in other folks, but I have to assume that since the behavior is the majority condition then I’m one of the odd ones for not participating, willingly or subconsciously. I wouldn’t otherwise be able to explain the completely common sort of societal adoration that exists for movie stars, political figures and other notable folks. So I’m weird and I accept that. : D

As it relates to Trump specifically, I’m guessing that many (not all) of his followers vicariously enjoy the possibility of being aggressive, or insulting, obnoxious, or a cheat or adulterer, sans consequence. Those behaviors are somewhat baked into our basic survival success programming but we suppress them for the sake of a modern civil society. They’re always bubbling under the surface for some, though, and those folks might safely satisfy the urge to ‘act’ on them via their vicarious enjoyment of Trump’s behaviors.

The problem, though, is that if you get enough folks willing to put energy in to satisfying those particular emotions rather than objectively seeing the danger in doing so and resisting the temptation, then you start to see a general breakdown in social behavior, right? At least that’s the only way that I know how to explain it. I wish that I had a kinder way of seeing it but one never seems to emerge.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

canpakes wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:22 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:29 pm
I don't have any idols or people I live vicariously through. Maybe that's why I don't have any excitement in my life beyond my kids.
Same here. I don’t understand this when I see it in other folks, but I have to assume that since the behavior is the majority condition then I’m one of the odd ones for not participating, willingly or subconsciously. I wouldn’t otherwise be able to explain the completely common sort of societal adoration that exists for movie stars, political figures and other notable folks. So I’m weird and I accept that. : D

As it relates to Trump specifically, I’m guessing that many (not all) of his followers vicariously enjoy the possibility of being aggressive, or insulting, obnoxious, or a cheat or adulterer, sans consequence. Those behaviors are somewhat baked into our basic survival success programming but we suppress them for the sake of a modern civil society. They’re always bubbling under the surface for some, though, and those folks might safely satisfy the urge to ‘act’ on them via their vicarious enjoyment of Trump’s behaviors.

The problem, though, is that if you get enough folks willing to put energy in to satisfying those particular emotions rather than objectively seeing the danger in doing so and resisting the temptation, then you start to see a general breakdown in social behavior, right? At least that’s the only way that I know how to explain it. I wish that I had a kinder way of seeing it but one never seems to emerge.
I don't really see people like this where I am. People generally are too busy with day to day lives. But I'm in the UK. Cuppa teas are the highlight of our days lol jk.

I do think society in some ways has broken down and I think we got a glimpse of what it could be like during lockdown when people started caring and helping each other.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Moksha wrote:
Why does it appeal?
I am looking for a reason beyond the perversity of the universe. It is too easy to say that Maga Conservatives have just been a bunch of crypto-fascists all along and they were waiting for someone to Zeig Heil. Or maybe they have just been enamored by the movie version of bad boys and organized crime and wish to experience that behavior vicariously.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Moksha wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:00 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Why does it appeal?
I am looking for a reason beyond the perversity of the universe. It is too easy to say that Maga Conservatives have just been a bunch of crypto-fascists all along and they were waiting for someone to Zeig Heil. Or maybe they have just been enamored by the movie version of bad boys and organized crime and wish to experience that behavior vicariously.
I don't really understand the political demographics of America.

Do you? I'm getting images of like the people from shameless here.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:08 pm
Being willing to embrace known lies is pretty shameless.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Moksha wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:35 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:08 pm
Being willing to embrace known lies is pretty shameless.
No idea what is going on.