Are people really basically good?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
ajax18
God

Are people really basically good?

Post by ajax18 »

Police: 8 Suspects Record the Abduction, Torture, and Rape of Alabama Mother Before Killing Her

A young Alabama mother was allegedly abducted before being tortured, sexually assaulted, and killed by a group of eight suspects in a horrific attack recorded by the perpetrators.

Videos obtained by the Birmingham Police Department show Mahogany Jackson, 20, being beaten and forced to perform sex acts at gunpoint, Detective Mark Green testified in court Monday.

The mother of one arrived at the home of one of the suspects, 24-year-old Brandon Pope, to hang out with friends on February 25, WBRC reported. However, she was allegedly being set up to be raped and murdered.

Green said the first video shows Jackson naked outside, with 25-year-old Teja Lewis beating her and 23-year-old Si’nya McCall kicking her.

After that, McCall can allegedly be heard directing the others to “put her in the trunk.”

Jackson was reportedly able to contact her mother, Gail Maddox, around 8:00 a.m., writing, “Send the police apt 3 held hostage don’t call.” She also sent her location to her sister, Maddox posted on Facebook.

Police believe the suspects transported Jackson to Lewis and McCall’s apartment, where more violent acts were allegedly recorded.

Birmingham investigators say Jackson was handcuffed and continually assaulted by the group, including being spat on, slapped, and pistol-whipped.

According to Detective Green, videos of the young mom being forced to perform sex acts were even posted on social media. In the footage, the suspects can allegedly be heard telling Jackson that she’s about to die.

Jackson’s body was found at an illegal dumping site the next day with a gunshot wound to the back of her head, WBRC reported. One attorney described the location as “dead man road.”

Prosecutors have charged Giovonnie Clapp, 23, and Blair Green, 25, with felony murder, first-degree kidnapping, and first-degree sodomy.

McCall got hit with felony murder, first-degree kidnapping, and first-degree sodomy while Lewis was charged with felony murder.

Jeremiah McDowell, 18, Francis Harris, 25, and Pope were all charged with capital murder during a first-degree kidnapping, as well as capital murder during first-degree sodomy.

Ariana Lashay Robinson, 23, was the last suspect to be caught by the Birmingham police, nine days after Jackson’s body was found. She was also charged with felony murder and kidnapping.

Police Chief Scott Thurmond said the alleged actions of the group were some of the worst he’d seen in his career.

“The actions displayed by these defendants were barbaric and have no place in society,’’ said Jefferson County District Attorney Danny Carr. “The senseless and inhumane treatment perpetuated on young Mahogany Jackson was very disturbing and violent.”

Heartbroken mom Gail Maddox has pleaded with the public to stop sharing videos of her daughter’s violent torture.

“THAT’S MY CHILD PLEASE STOP I CAN’T TAKE IT,’’ she wrote on Facebook.

“What am I going to tell my granddaughter when she asks for her mother,” she posted, alongside a photo of Jackson’s little girl.

Jackson’s sister, Jazmyne Maddox, also shared her pain on social media.

“Y’all took my damned sister from us man she ain’t deserve this crap,” she wrote the day her body was found.

https://www.breitbart.com/crime/2024/03 ... lling-her/

Does anyone know what the motive of this crime was? For those of you that don't believe in the devil, what on earth motivates this kind of cruelty? I haven't seen this kind of hatred and inhumanity since October 7, 2023.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Are people really basically good?

Post by Jersey Girl »

People are neither basically good nor are they basically bad.

People are neglected.
People are suffering.
People have unaddressed mental health issues.
People are marginalized.
People lack social guidance.
People are underserved.
People are food insecure.
People are low educated.
People are isolated.
People are afraid.
People are raising themselves.
People are being raised by social media.
People are being raised by music.
People are lacking a sense of self worth.
People are hurting.
People are angry.

Not all of them kill, rape, or torture. Yet some do.

(I cracked that list out in like 15 seconds. I should think that you could do the same if only you wanted to.)
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Hard to say.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

24 February 2022 certainly isn't on your list, with all the torture and rape that has followed it. The scale of those crimes far overshadow what you posted here, bad as this is. All the same things that happened in your post don't bother you at all in the case I've mentioned because you're very likely at least partially in favor of it, since Tucker Carlson and the gang think its cool. It looks like per the standards of Fox News and half of your party, the same horrific acts are Christian and Godly if performed by the authorized people.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

I'm not sure what amazes me the most, the unbelievable cruelty of those 8 people, or their being stupid enough to document and boast of it by uploading it to social media, thus making it nearly inevitable that they would be exposed and justly prosecuted and punished. Is anyone stupid enough to claim that this atrocity happened because Democrats won the last election, or would have been any less likely to happen if Trump had won instead? Does anyone think that liberals and progressives are any less outraged by this than conservatives?
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

, or would have been any less likely to happen if Trump had won instead?
I was waiting for you to say it was Trump's fault. Why exactly did this happen in your opinion? Lack of social welfare program funding, rural white people who own firearms? Right wing extremism? Systemic racism in the Alabama school and legal system? It couldn't possibly be due to the abolition of religious faith and the destruction of the family unit that has resulted in a culture of morally degenerate people.

Obviously the perpetrators were not at all worried about being caught doing what they did or whatever punishment might follow, given they documented their deeds with video for all the world to see. Why is that?
People are raising themselves.
Could no fault divorce or the fact that people now feel no obligation to get legally married at all have something to do with that? Would this have happened in these same people grew up attending primary or seminary in your opinion? Schmo would probably tell you that religion caused them to do this and if they grew up as atheists society their superior morals would have made perpetrating such actions unthinkable.

What Hamasniks do is understandable. They've been trained up in a false religion and taught to hate and kill Jews from the time they're born. What these eight people demonstrated was the result of as you say, "People raising themselves." So why are people raising themselves?
Last edited by ajax18 on Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Why would Breitbart post something like this?

Oh, they're all black?

Never mind then.

That explains it.

Crap like this happens more often than any of us would like to admit and it is tragic and despicable, and almost as sad as people using such stories to push their political agendas.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Niblo
Nursery

Post by Niblo »

Yes.
‘Courtesy costs nothing, but buys everything.’ (Alī ibn Abī Tālib‎)
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Crap like this happens more often than any of us would like to admit and it is tragic and despicable, and almost as sad as people using such stories to push their political agendas.
Maybe more than any of the liberal media would ever admit. Why didn't this video go viral and spark a nationwide protest with over 10 deaths and $2 billion in property damage? Oh yes, because the suspects are black, hence it's not newsworthy. Nothing to see here, better to bury this story.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Here are all the national and international news outlets that ran the story:

https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=2 ... =653&dpr=2

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.