Autism quizzz

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Autism quizzz

Post by Jersey Girl »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:39 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:36 am

Oh good. I was reluctant to put this here but I'm going straight on the limb and doing it anyway. When you get to the appointment tell them that when you were 14 some stranger lady on the internet said you were gifted and she's never taking it back. :mrgreen:

I hope we get to see the final result of your eval! High end of the spectrum and she's not taking that back either.
Lol. I had my appointment. She wouldn't let me talk about my skin. I'll share what they say but I don't expect to be seen anytime soon. It's the NHS. I think for adults there is less wait and I believe they message every 12 weeks just to remind you that they are still planning to assess you. So that kinda says how long things take.

Spoke to Oliver and told him I was going to get assessed too and I asked how he felt about that. He said that it made him feel better because we are doing it together and he said what happens if we do have autism. I was like, I don't know. I guess we will look at what it means and go from there. But I realised he was worried about it and I didn't know.

Aw as it someone here that recommended the big orange splot book. Not sure where it is but I bought it.
What do you do if you find out you have autism? I'd find out about some of the folks throughout history who were suspected or confirmed with autism and see what they contributed to the world. If you are diagnosed with Asperger's I'd think about what my areas of giftedness were and how I might use them if I haven't figured it out already.

Here is one such list of Aspie folks:

Alexis Wineman - American model and pageant contestant

Alix Generous - American behaviour scientist, activist, and consultant

Bill Gross - American investor and fund manager.

Chloe Hayden - Australian actor, disability advocate, and speaker

Chris Packham - British naturalist, environmental activist and TV presenter

Clay Marzo - American surfer

Cody Ware - American NASCAR driver

Courtney Love - American singer and songwriter, lead singer of grunge band Hole.

Dan Aykroyd – American actor and comedian

Dan Harmon - writer, producer and actor. Creator of "Community"

Daniel Tammet - English writer

Daryl Hannah – American actor and environmental activist

David Campion - Australian Special Olympics snowboarder

Dawn Prince-Hughes - American primate anthropologist, ethologist, and author of Songs for the Gorilla Nation

Donna Williams - Australian author, autism advocate and consultant

Dr. Vernon Smith - American Nobel Prize-winning economist and academic

Em Rusciano - Australian comedian, writer, singer and presenter

Gary Numan - British singer and songwriter

Grace Tame - Australian activist, advocate, and author

Greta Thunberg - Swedish climate activist

Hannah Gadsby - Australian comedian, author, and presenter

Heather Zumich - American model

James Durbin - American musician

Jerry Newport - American author and public speaker, and inspiration for the movie Mozart and the Whale

John Elder Robison - American author of Look Me in the Eye

Jon Rosenberg - American webcomic creator

Judy Singer - Australian sociologist and disability rights activist, creator of the term "neurodiversity"

Liane Holliday Willey - American author, educator and consultant.

Lionel Messi - Argentinian world champion footballer

Lizzy Clark - British actress and campaigner

Michael Burry - American physician, investor and hedge fund manager, and inspiration for the movie The Big Short.

Stephen Fry – British actor, presenter, and comedian

Susan Boyle – British singer and Britain's Got Talent contestant

Temple Grandin - American scientist and animal behaviourist

Tim Burton – American filmmaker, director, animator, and artist

Travis Meeks - American singer and songwriter. Lead singer of band Days of the New.

Ulysse Delsaux - American NASCAR driver

Wentworth Miller - Australian actor

I bolded Temple Grandin because her story and where life took her is AMAZING. She was non-verbal for a number of years. Look for her TED Talks online and you can read her books as well. I didn't particularly care for the biopic on her but you all might enjoy it. Wanna find more Aspies? Go digging around in Silicon Valley. Maybe check on Steve Jobs, Bill Gates and also try Elon Musk. See what you find out. I'm guessing all three are/were on the spectrum.

Moving down the spectrum...

I have a family member who is what they used to call "profoundly autistic." Different language back then. Hearing impaired, low vision, non-verbal, has all the symptoms of the low end of the spectrum. He's made a difference in so many lives in his own way and as he is also well traveled so many people in other places have been impacted by him. If I haven't seen him for years, he remembers exactly who I am. If I sit on the couch, he comes to sit by me. If he thinks I'm asleep in my bed, he visits repeatedly to look at me. When I leave, I'm one of the people who he kisses on the cheek. He knows stuff. We just don't always know what he knows because he can't tell us. But sometimes he tells us through his behavior. <3
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:34 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:39 am

Lol. I had my appointment. She wouldn't let me talk about my skin. I'll share what they say but I don't expect to be seen anytime soon. It's the NHS. I think for adults there is less wait and I believe they message every 12 weeks just to remind you that they are still planning to assess you. So that kinda says how long things take.

Spoke to Oliver and told him I was going to get assessed too and I asked how he felt about that. He said that it made him feel better because we are doing it together and he said what happens if we do have autism. I was like, I don't know. I guess we will look at what it means and go from there. But I realised he was worried about it and I didn't know.

Aw as it someone here that recommended the big orange splot book. Not sure where it is but I bought it.
What do you do if you find out you have autism? I'd find out about some of the folks throughout history who were suspected or confirmed with autism and see what they contributed to the world. If you are diagnosed with Asperger's I'd think about what my areas of giftedness were and how I might use them if I haven't figured it out already.

Here is one such list of Aspie folks:

Alexis Wineman - American model and pageant contestant

Alix Generous - American behaviour scientist, activist, and consultant

Bill Gross - American investor and fund manager.

Chloe Hayden - Australian actor, disability advocate, and speaker

Chris Packham - British naturalist, environmental activist and TV presenter

Clay Marzo - American surfer

Cody Ware - American NASCAR driver

Courtney Love - American singer and songwriter, lead singer of grunge band Hole.

Dan Aykroyd – American actor and comedian

Dan Harmon - writer, producer and actor. Creator of "Community"

Daniel Tammet - English writer

Daryl Hannah – American actor and environmental activist

David Campion - Australian Special Olympics snowboarder

Dawn Prince-Hughes - American primate anthropologist, ethologist, and author of Songs for the Gorilla Nation

Donna Williams - Australian author, autism advocate and consultant

Dr. Vernon Smith - American Nobel Prize-winning economist and academic

Em Rusciano - Australian comedian, writer, singer and presenter

Gary Numan - British singer and songwriter

Grace Tame - Australian activist, advocate, and author

Greta Thunberg - Swedish climate activist

Hannah Gadsby - Australian comedian, author, and presenter

Heather Zumich - American model

James Durbin - American musician

Jerry Newport - American author and public speaker, and inspiration for the movie Mozart and the Whale

John Elder Robison - American author of Look Me in the Eye

Jon Rosenberg - American webcomic creator

Judy Singer - Australian sociologist and disability rights activist, creator of the term "neurodiversity"

Liane Holliday Willey - American author, educator and consultant.

Lionel Messi - Argentinian world champion footballer

Lizzy Clark - British actress and campaigner

Michael Burry - American physician, investor and hedge fund manager, and inspiration for the movie The Big Short.

Stephen Fry – British actor, presenter, and comedian

Susan Boyle – British singer and Britain's Got Talent contestant

Temple Grandin - American scientist and animal behaviourist

Tim Burton – American filmmaker, director, animator, and artist

Travis Meeks - American singer and songwriter. Lead singer of band Days of the New.

Ulysse Delsaux - American NASCAR driver

Wentworth Miller - Australian actor

I bolded Temple Grandin because her story and where life took her is AMAZING. She was non-verbal for a number of years. Look for her TED Talks online and you can read her books as well. I didn't particularly care for the biopic on her but you all might enjoy it. Wanna find more Aspies? Go digging around in Silicon Valley. Maybe check on Steve Jobs, Bill Gates and also try Elon Musk. See what you find out. I'm guessing all three are/were on the spectrum.

Moving down the spectrum...

I have a family member who is what they used to call "profoundly autistic." Different language back then. Hearing impaired, low vision, non-verbal, has all the symptoms of the low end of the spectrum. He's made a difference in so many lives in his own way and as he is also well traveled so many people in other places have been impacted by him. If I haven't seen him for years, he remembers exactly who I am. If I sit on the couch, he comes to sit by me. If he thinks I'm asleep in my bed, he visits repeatedly to look at me. When I leave, I'm one of the people who he kisses on the cheek. He knows stuff. We just don't always know what he knows because he can't tell us. But sometimes he tells us through his behavior. <3
Aww wow thank you for this. Your family member sounds like he loves you. I am not sure that I have any gifts. Oli has amazing gifts. His recall is amazing but it's in things that others don't really care to know. He is the most intelligent person I know (going through a silly patch but still says amazing things). I think if it turned out I did have then people can stop accusing me of having anxiety because of how I hold my self. People will say I'm anxious even though I'm not.

I don't remember if it was MDB but there was a forum where people suggested I had Asperger's and gave me a link to a test to do and I didn't know what it was or what the test meant and I was so confused. Was when I was in student halls so 2007/2008. The only thing I knew was the kid at uni (he was older than me but I call him kid) lol. He dropped out but he couldn't look at certain colours. They overwhelmed him and he wore blue glasses. He was my favourite person but he didn't make it into the next year. He memorised hex and binary numbers. That was his thing. But he was adorable. Had a friend who was telling me to punch his hand and I was punching his hand and he kept saying harder. Then I punched harder and my hand bounced off his hand and hit his face and the person with autism burst out laughing for ages. Just couldn't stop laughing which made everyone else laugh. I felt bad. But he is noticeably autistic. You can see it. But uni didn't exist at night time when I was derailing posts.

Oli asked me what it means, I didn't know. We watched some YouTube videos. One described Asperger's and Oliver said that all sounds like him. He said he needs to organise things which I didn't know. I mean I knew he'd sit in the shopping trolly and position everything but I didn't think much of it.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:26 pm
Aww wow thank you for this. Your family member sounds like he loves you.
We think he does. I've only seen him take a seat in close proximity of female relatives. He is usually up and moving, but he sits by us. We like it when he does that.
I am not sure that I have any gifts.
What are your strongest interests? Things you want to learn about more than any other topic? Things you've never really wanted to stop learning about because you know there is more to discover? Maybe something you'd engage in all day long, day after day, if you only had no limits on your time.

I feel like I asked these same questions a million years ago. I really look forward to hearing about the outcome of assessments for both you and Oli! I think it's so exciting!

I'll reply to these later...holding my place here. Try Temple Grandin. I always like to recommend her story because she might have ended up in an institution for life. But she didn't and contributed so much to society. She was non-verbal and then was able to speak...she give voice to autism. She can describe her experience. She's a treasure.

Oli has amazing gifts. His recall is amazing but it's in things that others don't really care to know. He is the most intelligent person I know (going through a silly patch but still says amazing things). I think if it turned out I did have then people can stop accusing me of having anxiety because of how I hold my self. People will say I'm anxious even though I'm not.

I don't remember if it was MDB but there was a forum where people suggested I had Asperger's and gave me a link to a test to do and I didn't know what it was or what the test meant and I was so confused. Was when I was in student halls so 2007/2008. The only thing I knew was the kid at uni (he was older than me but I call him kid) lol. He dropped out but he couldn't look at certain colours. They overwhelmed him and he wore blue glasses. He was my favourite person but he didn't make it into the next year. He memorised hex and binary numbers. That was his thing. But he was adorable. Had a friend who was telling me to punch his hand and I was punching his hand and he kept saying harder. Then I punched harder and my hand bounced off his hand and hit his face and the person with autism burst out laughing for ages. Just couldn't stop laughing which made everyone else laugh. I felt bad. But he is noticeably autistic. You can see it. But uni didn't exist at night time when I was derailing posts.

Oli asked me what it means, I didn't know. We watched some YouTube videos. One described Asperger's and Oliver said that all sounds like him. He said he needs to organise things which I didn't know. I mean I knew he'd sit in the shopping trolly and position everything but I didn't think much of it.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:38 am
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:26 pm
Aww wow thank you for this. Your family member sounds like he loves you.
We think he does. I've only seen him take a seat in close proximity of female relatives. He is usually up and moving, but he sits by us. We like it when he does that.
I am not sure that I have any gifts.
What are your strongest interests? Things you want to learn about more than any other topic? Things you've never really wanted to stop learning about because you know there is more to discover? Maybe something you'd engage in all day long, day after day, if you only had no limits on your time.

I feel like I asked these same questions a million years ago. I really look forward to hearing about the outcome of assessments for both you and Oli! I think it's so exciting!

I'll reply to these later...holding my place here. Try Temple Grandin. I always like to recommend her story because she might have ended up in an institution for life. But she didn't and contributed so much to society. She was non-verbal and then was able to speak...she give voice to autism. She can describe her experience. She's a treasure.

Oli has amazing gifts. His recall is amazing but it's in things that others don't really care to know. He is the most intelligent person I know (going through a silly patch but still says amazing things). I think if it turned out I did have then people can stop accusing me of having anxiety because of how I hold my self. People will say I'm anxious even though I'm not.

So sweet. I think some people can sense good people.

Before uni I loved science. I wanted to know everything about the universe. Had a really strong desire. But I was told at uni that if 100 people studied maths for a hundred years they'd only learn a fraction of what there is to know. Which made me sad because then I realised that no matter how much I tried I'd never understand everything. I liked topology. But now I just be a mum.

I liked nature. I'd like sitting in trees. Now my fat butt can't get in a tree lol. And I used to like stationary. Like get excited about it and I was a hoarder.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:46 am
I liked topology. But now I just be a mum.
How about being a mum who likes topology?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Chap wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:14 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:46 am
I liked topology. But now I just be a mum.
How about being a mum who likes topology?
Lol. I guess that's possible. Kinda lost myself along the way.