Lindsay Stirling?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Re: Lindsay Stirling?

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

nowacatholic wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:50 pm
Well, Lindsay gives me the ick. And I stand by my "sweet spirit" assessment. The only way she's getting married is if they bring back polygamy. But joking aside, it's my responsibility to expose my DD to positive role models. Stirling is not one of them. That's unfortunate because she's actually a good violinist.
Think you completely missed what I was saying. You came here to ask if we felt your reaction was correct. I am saying I think not... And you've floated over it and argued against it. Which tells me you aren't here to ask if your reaction was right and rather your venting it out and looking for justification and back up.

So, I wish your daughter well. So long...
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

I wonder what folks wear to the beach in your neck of the woods.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

nowacatholic wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:25 am
It caused problems for my DD, who lost her laptop and iPhone for three months when I caught her watching Stirling on YouTube
What are you teaching her by taking away her devices for three months?
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Dwight
Deacon

Post by Dwight »

Who is Lindsay Stirling? There is a famous violin playing dancer Mormon Lindsey Stirling. Clearly this is a troll. If not the good thing is his daughter is already planning to leave Mormonism and I'm guessing she will cut off her toxic parents as well. Nowacatholic and his wife will be wondering why when they have had all the clues in front of them the entire time.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Dwight wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:09 am
Who is Lindsay Stirling? There is a famous violin playing dancer Mormon Lindsey Stirling. Clearly this is a troll. If not the good thing is his daughter is already planning to leave Mormonism and I'm guessing she will cut off her toxic parents as well. Nowacatholic and his wife will be wondering why when they have had all the clues in front of them the entire time.
Absolutely 100% agree.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

nowacatholic wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:25 am
So....Lindsay Stirling. Over the years her wardrobe has become so immodest that I have forbidden my 14-year-old DD to watch her.

This re-worded post will hopefully stay up this time, because I make valid points and I would like feedback, especially feedback on my punishment. The bishop backs me up, but said I went too far in her punishment. my wife backs me up and several of my LDS and Catholic friends all agree that Stirling is bad news until she wears more modest clothing.
Nowacatholic,
feedback? I think your reaction is way over the top and counterproductive.

How would you have reacted at age 14?
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:29 pm
OP sounds abusive. There are far too many red flags here. Sounds very much like my dad... Are you my dad?

I cut my dad out. He has no contact with me or my kids and I don't think he will ever have. He makes me feel sick and right now I feel sick.

If you don't want to be sat alone some day wondering why no one wants to know you (probably thinking you've done no wrong), do consider seeking therapy and re-evaluating your behaviour.

The role model you are creating is far worse than a skimpy outfit. She won't be watching feeling sexually attracted to the woman (if you feel sexually uncomfortable by the outfits then that says more about you OP), she will be enjoying the music. She's not even going to remember this person when she moves onto the next thing she is interested in but she is going to remember you and what you are doing.
Imwashingmypirate can be clear and perceptive. These comments are worth real reflection.
nowacatholic
Nursery

Post by nowacatholic »

I've read through the comments here and I really don't feel that my wife and I are being excessive or abusive. If DD learns at a young age that skimpy outfits are BAD, then she will be ready for her adult life, including a mission and marriage, whether she stays in Mormonism and goes to the temple, or, for all I care, run to Vegas.

I appreciate all the comments, both good and bad, but my wife and I discussed it last night, and she says we need to stand firm regarding the punishment, or we will be perceived as being weak and that won't bode well for the rest of her teenage years. Going back to the 1990's (no laptop, no iPhone) won't hurt her. In fact, it will make her stronger and she will thank us for this one day.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

nowacatholic wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:39 pm
I've read through the comments here and I really don't feel that my wife and I are being excessive or abusive. If DD learns at a young age that skimpy outfits are BAD, then she will be ready for her adult life, including a mission and marriage, whether she stays in Mormonism and goes to the temple, or, for all I care, run to Vegas.

I appreciate all the comments, both good and bad, but my wife and I discussed it last night, and she says we need to stand firm regarding the punishment, or we will be perceived as being weak and that won't bode well for the rest of her teenage years. Going back to the 1990's (no laptop, no iPhone) won't hurt her. In fact, it will make her stronger and she will thank us for this one day.
Is she learning that they are bad though? Or is she just learning that she gets punished for looking at people wearing skimpy outfits? Would you ever go to the ballet?
nowacatholic
Nursery

Post by nowacatholic »

The ballet? What, am I gay now? No, I wouldn't go and that's not just because they're practically nude. The ballet is just so..gay.