Alice Neel

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
huckelberry
God

Alice Neel

Post by huckelberry »

Anybody who has a comment is of course welcome but it is Morley's most recent picture which made me think of this subject. Morley I appreciate your thoughtful comments on art and your interest there are two reasons I had an extra hope for your comment.One you are more familiar than I with recent art analysis or criticism and you have military experience.

I am thinking of the portraits done by President Bush. Perhaps comparing to Neel, or perhaps Sargent or Eakins is unfair, he is not in the same league. Yet I find them surprisingly strong and having a certain sense of human. I also cannot help but be amused by the Putin portrait. I read a few art magazine articles and it seems like reviewers rush to heap as much disparagement as possible on them. One proposes that Bush rushes and makes the mistakes first year students make. To me though not great Bushes portraits are way more interesting than first year students I have seen.
It is as if all some see is the politics. I have not supported Bush , I thought the invasion of Iraq was a bad idea. Yet I find myself thinking of Bush as a human with human concerns. Is he overreaching to sympathize with the soldiers he sent into harms way?
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Alice Neel

Post by Res Ipsa »

I'll be Morley's warm-up act.

I don't know much about art, but I'll go see the traveling exhibition of Bush's portraits if it comes my way. It's very hard for me to imagine what it must be like to be Bush. Politics gets in the way of seeing the other as a person just as human as oneself. I can't imagine that sending young Americans off to fight, be wounded, and die doesn't leave a very deep mark on a person. Few of us will ever have to carry the weight of that kind of decision. Some former presidents write books or give lectures. Bush paints. And my guess is that his art is, in part, a way of expressing that weight, and others from decisions he made during his presidency.

I don't think he is overreaching at all by doing the various things his foundation does to support veterans. He is a fellow human with fellow human feelings and concerns. I think his support of veterans is both a natural and a healthy reaction by someone who sent soldiers into harm's way.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Who the F is Alice?.... Jokes.
:lol: actually no idea who this Alice is but I'm feeling strange lol. Just derailing... Not sure why I'm using so many ellipses. Lol.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:56 pm
:lol: actually no idea who this Alice is but I'm feeling strange lol. Just derailing... Not sure why I'm using so many ellipses. Lol.
go ask Alice
when shes ten feet tall
feed your head.....

If you add Neel to your google search you will find an American painter of portraits though they are not vanity portraits.Nobody hires Alice to decorate the board room.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:25 pm
I'll be Morley's warm-up act.

I don't know much about art, but I'll go see the traveling exhibition of Bush's portraits if it comes my way. It's very hard for me to imagine what it must be like to be Bush. Politics gets in the way of seeing the other as a person just as human as oneself. I can't imagine that sending young Americans off to fight, be wounded, and die doesn't leave a very deep mark on a person. Few of us will ever have to carry the weight of that kind of decision. Some former presidents write books or give lectures. Bush paints. And my guess is that his art is, in part, a way of expressing that weight, and others from decisions he made during his presidency.

I don't think he is overreaching at all by doing the various things his foundation does to support veterans. He is a fellow human with fellow human feelings and concerns. I think his support of veterans is both a natural and a healthy reaction by someone who sent soldiers into harm's way.
Res Ipsa, I appreciate your comment. Some people really have a hard time allowing Bush that much humanity. I think it is better to stretch common humanity as far as possible over political divides. Well that possiblity is not without some limits and different people are going to see those limits in different places.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

huckelberry wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:45 am
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:56 pm
go ask Alice
when shes ten feet tall
feed your head.....

If you add Neel to your google search you will find an American painter of portraits though they are not vanity portraits.Nobody hires Alice to decorate the board room.
I was singing.

Alice YouTube link
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:23 am
huckelberry wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:45 am

go ask Alice
when shes ten feet tall
feed your head.....

I was singing.

Alice YouTube link
I clicked on your link, song very British. I have no memory if it making it out west to this side of the ocean. It may have ,, ?
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

huckelberry wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:33 am
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:23 am

I was singing.

Alice YouTube link
I clicked on your link, song very British. I have no memory if it making it out west to this side of the ocean. It may have ,, ?
No idea sorry. But I'm sure most British people would think of the song when thinking of "Alice".

Lol

Just asked Jamie, "If I said Alice what would your brain think"?. He said, "who the F is Alice or Alice cooper".
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I voted for W in 2000. I was not in favor of the Supreme Court decision that made him president against the popular vote in Florida. I lived in California at the time. I was stunned when the Bush Administration lied to the Congress and the nation to get its invasion of Iraq. What a costly decision! Imagine if we had not foolishly spent trillions of our taxpayer dollars in Afghanistan and Iraq! For the bogus Iraq War I stopped voting Republican. I have never gone back.

That said, I do not hate W. Trump makes him look good, and I don’t think he was a very good president. But Trump is unfit for the presidency in every way imaginable. W was just a mediocre man in way over his head.

Would I see an art show featuring W’s paintings? If it came to my town, yes.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

https://publicdelivery.org/george-w-bus ... f-courage/
this link has a bit larger selection of Bush painting to see.
link below has copy of the Putin portrait and art establishment style critique.
https://www.artforum.com/columns/the-pa ... sh-220429/
a sizable collection of works by Alice Neel,
https://www.artnet.com/artists/alice-neel/