Which of you have already purchased an EV?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gunnar
God

Which of you have already purchased an EV?

Post by Gunnar »

If so, what kind did you purchase, and what is your overall impression of it? Do you still love it, or do you wish you never bought it? What, if anything, don't you like about it? I hope to own one before I die, when I finally find one I like in my price range. I have tried test driving a few, including my son's Chevy Bolt, and so far, I am favorably impressed.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Dr. Sunstoned
Valiant A

Re: Which of you have already purchased an EV?

Post by Dr. Sunstoned »

My daughter and her husband have two EVs. They love them. They are both working professionals and use them primarily for commuting to and from work. As long as they stay in the city (Phoenix) they are okay. As for longer trips, they are screwed. The range is limited. Charging stations are few and far between, and when they find one, the charging time is long. Electric vehicles are the future. They are energy efficient and don't pollute. But there needs to be more charging stations.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Dr. Sunstoned wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:31 am
My daughter and her husband have two EVs. They love them. They are both working professionals and use them primarily for commuting to and from work. As long as they stay in the city (Phoenix) they are okay. As for longer trips, they are screwed. The range is limited. Charging stations are few and far between, and when they find one, the charging time is long. Electric vehicles are the future. They are energy efficient and don't pollute. But there needs to be more charging stations.
I look eagerly forward to the widespread availability of the several batteries now in development with hundreds of miles of driving range and much faster charging times.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

I’m looking fwd to hydrogen cars
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

We own three Teslas and I just canceled my order for the Cybertruck. Elons political flip flop makes me upset that I invested so much into Tesla over the years but all I can do now is take the loss and move on. I'm hoping Lucid eventually takes over but Tesla had such a huge head start it isn't likely to be surpassed anytime soon by any other brand.

I test drove a Lucid a couple of weeks ago and the only downside is how expensive it is. The Lucids actually get nearly all the range as advertised, opposed to Teslas that in reality get only maybe 70-80% of the advertised range.

The problem with hydrogen cars is that they run on distilled water. As someone who spent years managing a saltwater aquarium I can tell you that the price of distilled water per gallon is going to be just as expensive as gasoline once demand spikes.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Dr. Sunstoned wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:31 am
They must have made the mistake of buying something other than Tesla. I just came back from a long drive from Miami to Atlanta, roughly 700 miles. Super charging stations are located every 50-70 miles within a quarter mile off the interstates. After the first 200 miles of straight driving we stop for a 15 minute charge that adds anywhere between 100-150 miles of range. All of these charging stations are located in large parking lots by restaurants or other stores. If we were driving a gas car we'd be stopping for breaks anyway.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

This is as close as our family has come to that goal.

High Spy
1st Quorum of 70

Post by High Spy »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:35 am
https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-Gene ... ality.html

President Carter proposed the proper way forward, and it wasn’t EVs. Eventually Hydrogen will predominate.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

My second car is a Nissan Leaf. I love it. Not the fanciest car, but I like jamming around town in it. It is my preferred ride for urban/suburban driving. For the crazy Florida highways I prefer my truck.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

High Spy wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:43 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:35 am
[...]

Eventually Hydrogen will predominate.
Which kind of hydrogen are you talking about? By that, I mean "by what process is this hydrogen obtained?".

That is a question that matters a great deal in terms of how much a switch to a hydrogen burning vehicle is a useful contribution to reducing CO2 and other emissions that hasten the rate at which we are already progressing towards climate collapse.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.