Your Ego May Be F****** up your Perception

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Nomomo
Priest

Re: Your Ego May Be F****** up your Perception

Post by Nomomo »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:49 pm
Nomomo wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:01 am
Oftentimes it is necessary to pull over to the side of the road of life and tell your ego to get the “F” outta here! Get your damned ass in the back seat and shut the “F” up. I am doing the driving now!
Agreed. I have to tell myself to chill out all the time.
Out of all of the replies to this OP you seem to be the only one who may have grokked that it was about putting your ego in the back seat so that your more in tune self could do the driving. The other replies were all totally unrelated to this concept. Did this sail over their heads?
understand -https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/understand#Desc ... range_Land
Last edited by Nomomo on Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:51 am, edited 8 times in total.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Nomomo wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:32 am
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:19 am
Lol, at least you are wise enough to check yourself nomomo.

Asked Alexa what ides of march is? She said march 8th 2024 is on a Friday.

Happy saint Patrick's day tomorrow. We don't celebrate this holiday.

Got the meeting minutes from the meeting school does where parents ask questions (or moan). I don't go. It sounds horrendous to me. But I was slightly horrified. The parents were complaining about everything and anything. I'm sure they just thought stuff up just to have something to say. Like they wanted to take away non uniform Friday for classes with high attendance for the week. Complaining about all the non uniform days. My kids love non uniform day. It's a chance for them to express themselves and to wear normal clothes. Thankfully the school said they weren't taking that away because it's the biggest incentive they have. Parents also complained about having to give their kids money for tuck shop. Like, don't give them money if you don't want to give them money but don't ruin it for everyone else. My kids don't always take money because I forget sometimes but they don't complain. Just miserable gits. Also moaning about not being given information about events... They literally give us a calendar with a list of dates at the start of each half term. It's more than my kids last school did. They sent an email the day before.

Oh goodness... Jamie's ruining my system. I have a system with the toys and I've just heard him talking about putting some toys in a different category. Oh no he's starting a bath toy box :O bath toys need to be limited because they go mouldy. And Phoebe dumps all bath toys in at once. I'm leaving them to it. Not going to go undermine but Ill have to encourage her to not dump everything in.

Edit: it seems people do celebrate st Patrick's day here. I've never done it.
Interesting reply, but it is unrelated the subject/concept of the OP.
;)
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Nomomo wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:39 am
Kishkumen wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:49 pm

Agreed. I have to tell myself to chill out all the time.
Out of all of the replies to this OP you seem to be the only one who may have grokked that it was about putting your ego in the back seat so that your more in tune self could do the driving. The other replies were all totally unrelated to this concept. Did this sail over their heads?
understand -https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/understan ... range_Land

No it didn't. I replied to you in the first line. The second paragraph was in response to the ides of march. The rest was irrelevant rambling, I had no more to say.

Also, high spy has responded by how his spirit felt inspired to say as a result of the post.
High Spy
1st Quorum of 70

Post by High Spy »

Nomomo wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:34 am
High Spy wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:08 am

Fahrvergnugen was my work buddies Favorite word, back in the day of testing boob tubes at Varian on Pioneer road. His name was Sigmund which reminds me of Freud who invented said Ego type word. Anyway I told brother Sig about how 3490 made me think the 49ers would reign for three years and that their reign would end in 1990. Most F’d up thing ever, but it came true and an earthquake struck San Francisco during the World Series too. Now that’s a weird deal. :lol:
An interesting reply, yet totally unrelated to the concept of the OP.
Fahrvergnugen is an F word about perception. :?
https://slogbog.com/viewtopic.php?p=276 ... =COB#p2766

During moments of humility or weakness the greatest miracles are received. On March 8, 1980 I was employed as a janitor in the great and spacious COB (Church Office Building). On 3/8 in 88, 89, 90 I was very lonely and struggled to survive. Again in 2002 my new bride and I were regaining our feet after a trying period that included unemployment. In Kotzebue I had just gotten over a case of Covid. And on March 18 and 19 of this year, long travel brought on exhaustion and that’s when I spied the TUE-3857 plate.
There’s a recap/summary of the many times stuff happened when spy was down. Something’s up with my windows rolling themselves down. It’s happened like three times. Also the engine will shut off at a stoplight but somehow accelerates quickly if I step on the gas. The cruise sets by only pressing one button, rather than requiring two like most cars I’ve driven.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

High Spy wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:21 am
Fahrvergnugen is an F word about perception.
Love it when you speak French.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

It's hard to see what Fahrvergnügen or Fahrvergnuegen (if you can't find an "ü" you can always write it as "ue") has to do with perception: it means "the enjoyment of driving". It was apparently popularised in English by Volkswagen in some commercials that ran in the 1990s, though I don't remember seeing them.

As a German word, which Freud might conceivably have uttered at some point, it wasn't invented by anyone: it's a straightforward German compound word made from Fahren (driving) and Vergnügen (enjoyment). You can mash almost any words together like that in German. It doesn't count as inventing anything, not even if no-one in history has ever before said your particular mash-up. You can mash up more than two words, with no theoretical limit on the number. Ridiculously long examples of German compound words exist in rare contexts, but some quite long ones are routine enough that you see them on billboards.

Inventing special long words for technical concepts, based on Latin or Greek roots, is a peculiarity of English, and it probably goes back to the linguistic anxiety of Anglo-Saxons who were afraid of sounding like yokels. German words that look like special technical terms are usually just straightforward compounds of ordinary words strung together. If English were like German about technical terms, televisions would be farseers.
Last edited by Physics Guy on Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Maybe those who make up words in English are trying to be a bit more German. I saw an ad for some new medication recently, that now can be taken every 6 months. The new name for the longer lasting compound, I kid you not, ends in "hafyera."
:lol:
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

I'd call that progress! Medicine names are usually so opaque. I still remember the Rogaine commercials from the 1990s that urged you to "ask your doctor if Rogaine is right for you" but gave me at least no idea at all of what condition the product was supposed to treat.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
yellowstone123
1st Counselor

Post by yellowstone123 »

Wayne Dyer wrote many books and popular psychology and speaks a lot of the ego. He called Ego - edging God out. Youtube has his books that someone put on that our hours long.
Two mottos I try to follow: 1) my hero is truth; 2) no surprises.