Just be a guy for 5 seconds, okay?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Just be a guy for 5 seconds, okay?

Post by Jersey Girl »

Guys. And I mean, guys. Please get your head out of politics and all that intellectual junk and just be a guy for 5 seconds. You know, a guy-guy, and tell me what is it with men and their preference for long hair on women? I mean like women of any age. Yeah, I know you get what sparked this post because you're all so insightful and stuff, so...

What is it? Just SAY it. Even if it's bad. I can take it.

Thanks,
J to the G
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
High Spy
1st Quorum of 70

Re: Just be a guy for 5 seconds, okay?

Post by High Spy »

Hula dancers have all the answers, and butch hair styles are an abomination to those in the know.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

A woman’s hair is her glory.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Xenophon
God

Post by Xenophon »

I'm curious if there isn't some chicken/egg thing going on here. Every bit of media I consumed as a young lad jammed my brain full of women that were otherwise desirable but also had long hair. Had I been raised in a world that kept everything else the same but all those women had short hair, would I likely not have different preferences?

I certainly appreciate short hair much more after a few stints of it on my SO. She wears it incredibly well. I think I still prefer it longer but how much of that is me and how much is conditioning, hard to say.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I don't find really short hair attractive. You know, like buzz-cut hair. GI Jane stuff even worse. Anything from a bob cut on the shorter side to hair reaching below the shoulders is very appealing to me.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
MrB
Nursery

Post by MrB »

My preference is short. My wife had long hair when we first met, but we were on different trajectories at the time. Several years later she showed up in my town with short hair and I loved it.

She has gone as low as a #2 'buzz' cut, which on her is adorable. I don't know how many women could pull that off. And of course she loves how easy it is to take care of.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

I can't say I prefer long hair to short. I just watched Working Girl the other day, a movie from the late '80s, and at the beginning Melanie Griffith has one of those huge '80s hair styles where the blow dryer is the main feature (and it does not look good). Part way through the movie, in an effort to be perceived as more professional, she get's her hair cut, and for the rest of the movie she's stunning.

I knew this woman in college who had straight hair down to her knees. It was awful.

I don't think hair length matters nearly as much as the specific cut, and how that cut looks on that person. Just my opinion.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

Some Schmo wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:28 pm
I don't think hair length matters nearly as much as the specific cut, and how that cut looks on that person. Just my opinion.
What Schmo said, and I yield the rest of my time.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

It’s probably similar to women preferring tall men. Some preferences are more widespread than others.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

There have been attempts to make aesthetics objective and measurable, including a few neuroscientists such as V.S. Ramachandran. Their approaches include the suggestion at least some of our aesthetic appreciation is tied to exaggerating evolutionary advantages that create exaggerated responses. The term for it is peak shift. See here for an example:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... -aestheti/

My guess regarding long hair is it's a signal of health. Like facial symmetry it has subconscious associations with genetics. But being a guy? Just a guy? It's not that big of a deal and many women with short hair are stunning regardless. I'd guess for some longer hair may even distract. I mean...

ETA: I do think thick hair is more likely to matter compared to thinning hair. Again, health signals.