Just be a guy for 5 seconds, okay?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Just be a guy for 5 seconds, okay?

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Honor nails it. It’s a subconscious signal to men or a man’s subconscious reading that the woman is healthy.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Okay so now that you've all had your say (except for Schmo who is playing it safe all politically correct or lying), I'll say what my own preference is as just one female type person who actually went to cosmetology school for two years half day in high school so I do like a variety of hair styles but anyway...

I always tell my hair dresser that I like my hair to move. I don't care if it's long or short, I want it to move. Except for during the pandemic when I darn near buzzed it all off but didn't...but did get a pixie cut that--whatever--the best I can say is that it was easy.

If it's a bob and the cut is precision, it moves.

If it's long (which it is right now) and blunt, flat iron it so it moves.

I don't know why I prefer that.

Now with regard to the comment that inspired this thread. A remark was made about longer hair and shoulders. That's all I'm saying. :?

Well I don't care what anyone thinks really, it's getting blunt cut again at the next appointment. And it'll move, too.

(If nothing I wrote here makes sense it's because I've been for sure posting my fingers off on Facebook on the business page I'm taking over and my brain hurts. And my eyes. Maybe my fingers. Probably other things hurt, too.)

Oh man, I just got another hair idea. ;)
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:04 am
Honor nails it. It’s a subconscious signal to men or a man’s subconscious reading that the woman is healthy.

- Doc
That is NOT a real guy answer. I reject it for the purpose of this thread.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

What about hair color? Do you guys have an opinion about natural vs artificial color? What if your female loved one decided to make her hair pink and purple. Would you be on board with that?

What about hair extensions. What if you dated a woman who had long hair only to find out that it wasn't hers?

Curly vs. straight? What about it?

(Have mercy on me I've been trapped in Facebook for days now.)

Slava Ukraini!
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

It's a sign of good health?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:59 am
drumdude wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:08 am
It’s probably similar to women preferring tall men. Some preferences are more widespread than others.
Women prefer tall men? That's news to me, buddy. So what you're saying is that women prefer a "type", right?

Stop it. Just stop it.
It’s a pretty well researched phenomenon.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9454610/

“ Our results partially corroborate previous findings, namely that women generally prefer taller men, and men generally prefer shorter women, relative to their own heights (Beigel, 1954; Salska et al., 2008; Courtiol et al., 2010; Stulp et al., 2013a).”

Note that I’m using it in the loose sense, clearly not all women will prefer taller men. But it appears that is the majority preference. I say appears because social sciences are much harder to study and less definitive than say, physics. It’s possible that future studies will find data that women have no preference.
Xenophon
God

Post by Xenophon »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:17 am
What about hair color? Do you guys have an opinion about natural vs artificial color? What if your female loved one decided to make her hair pink and purple. Would you be on board with that?

What about hair extensions. What if you dated a woman who had long hair only to find out that it wasn't hers?

(Have mercy on me I've been trapped in Facebook for days now.)
When my SO and I first started dating it was at the height of the hair straightening craze and I was certain she had stick straight hair. Which was nice, don't get me wrong, but after a few dates I happened to catch her out in the wild and finally got to see it in all its natural curly excellence. She had just been following the trend and assumed I would prefer it that way but we were able to clear that up quickly.

As to color, she has done everything from full natural, to various balayage setups, to green/teal, to a current subtle purple/red. I think we've both thought the green/teal was most fitting for her but she doesn't care for the amount of upkeep required. One of my favorite qualities of her current hairstylist is that she has finally convinced my SO that the greys in her hair don't need to be fully covered (it helps that it is apparently fairly trendy right now to actually add grey to your hair?).

For extensions or wigs, I view them much in the same light as I do makeup or shapewear. If they help to make her feel more beautiful or confident than I'm all for them. When done well, they certainly can be very nice. But also with the giant caveat that they aren't necessary at all and generically I'd say I prefer a lighter touch on that front.

ETA: Didn't mean to blow past your other comment.
Let me know if you ever figure it out because I'd really like to know that. The only hair compliments I ever get from you-know-who are when my hair is long like it is right now.

Happy to see you back Xeno! I hope all is well with you.
For me I'd say I'm not sure I have any overwhelmingly strong preferences for my SO. She has had it long, short and a lot in-between and I've liked most of them. She has had a few mid-length cuts that I didn't think were particularly flattering but what is life without a few bad haircuts or two.

And thanks for the welcome back, good to be back.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:57 am
Bolding...
Some Schmo wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:28 pm
I can't say I prefer long hair to short. I just watched Working Girl the other day, a movie from the late '80s, and at the beginning Melanie Griffith has one of those huge '80s hair styles where the blow dryer is the main feature (and it does not look good). Part way through the movie, in an effort to be perceived as more professional, she get's her hair cut, and for the rest of the movie she's stunning.

I knew this woman in college who had straight hair down to her knees. It was awful.

I don't think hair length matters nearly as much as the specific cut, and how that cut looks on that person. Just my opinion.
I could look at that bolded part as a safe answer you know. ;) Still it's nice to see (unless you're lying) a guy consider what looks nice on any particular woman...if it suits her then you're good with it.

Unless you're lying.
Why would I lie about this?

I wasn't trying to be safe (have you ever known me to pull punches?) I considered your question and what I wrote was the answer running through my brain. I've got no reason to lie about my opinion.

One thing you alluded to that is absolutely true: I assess all individuals on their own merits.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:17 am
My daughter has had almost every hair color you can get (well, probably not, but she's had a wide variety), and my answer is similar to before. I've liked some colors more than others. It depended on the cut combined with how the color matched her skin tone.

I will say that I prefer natural hair colors. Blue, pink, green, purple... they usually don't look that great.

My wife has been dying her hair (a natural color) since before we met, so I guess I have no problem with it.
Couldn't care less.
Depends on the cut and the lady.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:55 am
What is appealing about it? I have an answer of my own but I don't want to put words in someone else's device.
My weird answer to this question is geometry. There is something to the geometric balance between different shapes on the female body that is appealing to heterosexual men. It is, for the majority of men, a turn on. It communicates something (that combines cultural norms and biological signals) suggesting fertility and availability for reproduction. I dunno. Won’t claim to be above maleness in that way. I find women with nice looking hair more attractive.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow