An odd case of liberal intellectual honesty on COVID

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
canpakes
God

Re: An odd case of liberal intellectual honesty on COVID

Post by canpakes »

ajax18 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:06 pm
… DeSantis had blood on his hands …
Wait. Wasn’t that pudding ..?
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Scamdemic?

I do think there may have been a lot of dishonesty and a lot of messing about but when I had COVID the first time I genuinely thought I was going to die and I didn't need to go to hospital. I think the governments were under prepared and slow to get prepared and were just scrambling to work out how to deal with everything. In the UK. They initially wanted to go for herd immunity but they gave into public pressure because other countries were locking down. But I wondered if herd immunity would have been better in the long run but I'm pretty sure most of us wouldn't have the skills or energy to manage a crisis on that scale. Government money handouts helped keep up morale if nothing else.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:12 pm
My wife and I caught whatever variant of Covid last year around this time. It was brutal. It basically aged me 20-30 years. It’s only been recently, and I’m talking about this March, that I’ve been able to climb our stairs without getting winded. My joints hurt constantly, and I have trouble making a fist; my grip is about as strong as a child’s now - I literally use a lid grip to be able to open caps, jar lids, etc. I also experience daily nerve pain, as in I’m getting acute electric shocks in my hands or feet.

I’m slowly improving, but it’s been challenging. Why do I bring this up? Because when the idiots start spouting their nonsense about Covid being no big deal, they show themselves as being totally myopic. Covid was and is very real, and even if ‘only’ ~1,300,000 Americans have died from Covid, I’d bet many, many more are suffering quietly from post-Covid symptoms.

- Doc
That sounds awful. Hope you recover soon.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

I've lost most of the respect I had for Bill Maher these last few years over his consistent idiocy on medical science. If you're taking Aaron Rogers seriously on medical matters (which Maher did on his podcast), something is wrong with you.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:21 pm
ajax18 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:05 pm

Just have the police shoot the protesters or trespassers the way Officer Michael Byrd shot Asley Babbit for trespassing. Then instead of accusing President Trump of sending Storm Troopers to stop the riots. You support and protect the officers who carried out the order in the same way you supported and protected Lieutenant Michael Byrd for killing a 5'2" female for trespassing. After all, one sneeze can kill when it comes to COVID right?

Hmmm. Hundreds of protesters "trespassed" at the Capitol without being shot. I wonder what was different about Ms. Babbit?

I thought I would mention for Ajax that there is video of the shooting in the capitol and many if not all of us have seen it.

She died as a soldier in battle as directed by .....
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Government money handouts helped keep up morale if nothing else.
IWP, do you have a mortgage on your flat? Do you drive an automobile? In 2020 prior to suffering the consequences of printing trillions of dollars, a young family could purchase their first home comortably if they earned at least $75k. After four years of Bidenomics, you need to at least earn $110k/year. Billionaires still have ways around paying much in tax, while working class people pay the bulk of it through inflation and increased cost of living. Yet thanks to mainstream media propaganda, in spite of being effectively the party of the economic elite, working class people remain none the wiser and continue to vote Democrat. I have to tip my hat to the mainstream media and the effectiveness of their propaganda. I would have thought pulling off a trick like that were impossible but they've done it. They're actually winning on a platform of eating bugs, driving crappy electric cars, and wage depression through open borders. Getting people to believe that high interest rates, grocery prices, and gas prices are just due to mean banks and grocery stores takes a special talent that admittedly we just don't have on the right. If the rest of the world really has worse inflation than the US, tell me how your morale is now, compared to four years ago?
Last edited by ajax18 on Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

ajax18 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:01 pm
Government money handouts helped keep up morale if nothing else.
IWP, do you have a mortgage on your flat? Do you drive an automobile? In 2020 prior to suffering the consequences of printing trillions of dollars, a young family could purchase their first home comortably if they earned at least $75k. After four years of Bidenomics, you need to at least earn $110k/year. Billionaires still have ways around paying much in tax, while working class people pay the bulk of it through inflation and increased cost of living. Yet thanks to mainstream media propaganda, in spite of being effectively the party of the economic elite, working class people remain none the wiser and continue to vote Democrat. I have to tip my hat to the mainstream media and the effectiveness of their propaganda. I would have thought pulling off a trick like that were impossible but they've done it. They're actually winning on a platform of eating bugs, driving crappy electric cars, and wage depression through open borders. Getting people to believe that high interest rates, grocery prices, and gas prices are just due to mean banks and grocery stores takes a special talent that admittedly we just don't have on the right. If the rest of the world is really has worse inflation than the US, tell me how your morale is now, compared to four years ago?
You want a command economy?

Edit: by the way, House Republicans are proposing a 23% national sales tax to replace income tax.

https://ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/politi ... l-tax-code

Ajax has to be the dumbest idiot to ever post on this forum.

- Doc
Last edited by Doctor CamNC4Me on Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

IWP, do you have a mortgage on your flat? Do you drive an automobile? In 2020 prior to suffering the consequences of printing trillions of dollars, a young family could purchase their first home comortably if they earned at least $75k. After four years of Bidenomics, you need to at least earn $110k/year. Billionaires still have ways around paying much in tax, while working class people pay the bulk of it through inflation and increased cost of living. Yet thanks to mainstream media propaganda, in spite of being effectively the party of the economic elite, working class people remain none the wiser and continue to vote Democrat. I have to tip my hat to the mainstream media and the effectiveness of their propaganda. I would have thought pulling off a trick like that were impossible but they've done it. They're actually winning on a platform of eating bugs, driving crappy electric cars, and wage depression through open borders. Getting people to believe that high interest rates, grocery prices, and gas prices are just due to mean banks and grocery stores takes a special talent that admittedly we just don't have on the right. If the rest of the world is really has worse inflation than the US, tell me how your morale is now, compared to four years ago?
You're delusional and don't know anything, by the way.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ajax18 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:01 pm
In 2020 prior to suffering the consequences of printing trillions of dollars, a young family could purchase their first home comortably if they earned at least $75k. After four years of Bidenomics, you need to at least earn $110k/year.
Well, then, I guess that you were absolutely ecstatic when ‘Democrats made housing prices drop’ during Obama’s first term. I hope that you got in on that action and wrote the man a Thank You note. : D
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:56 pm
by the way, House Republicans are proposing a 23% national sales tax to replace income tax.

https://ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/politi ... l-tax-code
Boats, private aircraft, branded buildings and solid gold toilets will be exempt, of course.