Eclipse

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Re: Eclipse

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:44 am
High Spy wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:56 pm
93% wasn’t even noticeable without shades.
Indeed. Which is why you should always invite me to your eclipse viewing parties.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

I am glad people enjoyed seeing the eclipse yesterday. I live far enough to the northwest that only about a third of the sun got covered. I got out my eclipse glasses to check as it went along and checked a bit of the tv coverage of people seeing totality. It brought back memories which I enjoyed.

In 2017 I traveled to a location to see the total eclipse, the eastern Oregon location was not a long journey. Family had rented a camp spot a ranch had set up on a pleasant hillside with a good view along a modest sized valley. I had wondered if reserving a location was necessary the area in eastern Oregon is sparsely inhabited and not close to large populations. I was amazed at the crowds. People had traveled from far and wide to be there. There was drama to the event. We could see the shadow coming eastward up the valley as totality approached. I remember in particular the very strange light effect just before totality. Sunlight was distinctly red and fading appearing as if the world was growing thin and about to fade away.

The corona of the sun was of course striking to see. I had no scientific observations to make. Some people had telescopes special cameras etc. I watched. Then the shadow passed as it came. I find myself amused that such a completely insubstantial event should be so striking and memorable. It was after all a passing shadow.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

huckelberry wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:19 pm
I find myself amused that such a completely insubstantial event should be so striking and memorable. It was after all a passing shadow.
Heh.

I've never really thought about an eclipse creating a huge shadow across the face of the earth (as opposed to one object blocking the light of another), but of course that's what's happening. And you're right; we stand in awe of this phenomenon when bathing in the shadow of the moon, and yet we feel nothing when the shadow of a storm or any huge cloud formation approaches other than, "Oh crap. Better get inside."

Apparently, we are more impressed by celestial body shadows than atmospheric ones. Probably has something to do with their relative frequency.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
rspetersen
Nursery

Post by rspetersen »

It's wondrous experiences like this eclipse that make me sad I'm eventually going to die.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Right now outside, at 9:50 PM, it is way dark. That proves the absence of light is true. A wise enough observation to be the basis of an Interpreter article (especially if you mention something about a probability theory and Utero-Aztecan).
rspetersen wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:50 pm
It's wondrous experiences like this eclipse that make me sad I'm eventually going to die.
If you think that is sad, wait until Shades asks you if that is funny. Ouch.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
High Spy
1st Quorum of 70

Post by High Spy »

rspetersen wrote:
Signs regarding this last eclipse were out of this world as per viewtopic.php?f=7&t=158072&p=2847502&hi ... s#p2847502.

I’ve never made a bucket list, but am contemplating where to observe the one on August 12, 2045.:lol:

IFF the earth hasn’t like totally dissolved by then. :?
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

High Spy wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:11 am
rspetersen wrote:
Signs regarding this last eclipse were out of this world as per https:// /discussmormonism.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=158072&p=2847502&hili ...
No, your nonscientific analyses had absolutely nothing to do with the eclipse. Science explained the eclipse very well and it was a wondrous thing.

Please don't derail this thread with your number nonsense stuff, nor with meaningless links that have nothing to do with the OP. If you're funny like Moksha, or if you can prove that solar flares, visible only during an ecliptic totality, were discussed in a valid uto-Aztecan Hebraism which was translated into Early Modern English by a ghost committee, you can stay.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Marcus wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:13 am
Please don't derail this thread with your number nonsense stuff, nor with meaningless links that have nothing to do with the OP. If you're funny like Moksha, or if you can prove that solar flares, visible only during an ecliptic totality, were discussed in a valid uto-Aztecan Hebraism which was translated into Early Modern English by a ghost committee, you can stay.
Hey, I have this book!

Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

canpakes wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:25 pm
Marcus wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:13 am
Hey, I have this book!

:lol: Let me guess, published* by the illustrious peer-reviewers at the Interpreter.

(*Vanity press copies available in one-off publication runs. $400. Price drops to $29.99 if delivery of 20 accompanying copies of "The History of the Maori as Only I See It," by Midgely, is also accepted. Please don't send them back. Please.)
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

rspetersen wrote:
I feel this way about potentially missing a 49er Super Bowl Championship, should one happen after I'm gone.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.