Traveling Back in Time

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gunnar
God

Re: Traveling Back in Time

Post by Gunnar »

Some Schmo wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:25 pm
Gunnar wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:59 am
Pro-choice is actually more pro-life than is anti-abortion, when all relevant factors and evidence are rationally considered.
Very few people who call themselves "pro-life" actually are. It's far more accurate to call them pro-control, pro-fascism and pro-ignorance.
Exactly!
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:51 pm
I've made my case many times here already. I'm pro life and pro choice. We already had choice. The choice to terminate a pregnancy and the choice not to. I prefer it that way. When life begins is something I decide for myself based on what I think and believe. I can't make that decision for another woman. She has a right to make it herself based on what she thinks and believes. When a procedure is or is not medically necessary is a decision to be made with a trusted physician (and prayer if applicable), not an elected official. I invite our elected officials to stay out of our lady parts.
Right on! I greatly admire you for that stance. I sincerely believe it is more in line with Christ's teachings (as I understand them) than is the intolerant, anti-science, medically ignorant and adamantly anti-abortion stance of extreme right wing, Christian conservatives. Polls consistently show that the majority of mainstream, American Christians (including even a bare majority of American Catholics!) oppose absolute, legal, and punitive bans on abortion, and agree that the final arbiters of the choice whether or not to abort ought to be the sole province of the woman and her doctor--not the government or the criminal justice system. Even countries such as Ireland with overwhelmingly predominant Catholic populations have been overwhelmingly overturning government bans on abortion by popular vote.
Last edited by Gunnar on Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

When life begins is something I decide for myself based on what I think and believe.
That's kind of how I feel about my paycheck. I should get to spend it how I see fit, not the politicians. The COVID vaccine is another good example. It's my body and it's my choice, not the "experts," who claimed we were all going to die because we didn't take it. As it turns out, the vaccine didn't stop the spread of COVID either.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Moksha wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:26 am
I am intrigued by the idea of Dr. Dan Peterson traveling back in time and giving Joseph Smith pointers. Martin Harris would have to be brought in to take notes. At least we could later read about the Stick of Dan.
I could see Dr. Peterson advising Joseph to steer clear of any Egyptian antiquities that may pass through town, as well as plates from Kinderhook. Maybe even give a pass to wines of the Riesling varietal from the Rhine area and encourage the liberal intake of Sauerbraten.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace